David Cameron's Speech This Week - Thoughts

Options
justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
edited 10. Oct 2013, 12:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
listened to David Cameron's speech this week and was took back at the following that was said about most people on welfare will have to work for their benefits in 2 years time "but those with a long term drug or alcohol problem will continue to get unconditional support"

What a disgrace - Then there is the attack on the 16 -24 age goup who will not be entitled to any housing benefit and that they must choose to either "earn or learn" what happens to the thousands in this age bracket who currently receive housing support or more importantly those young people who have lost parents and family at a young age and have nobody to turn to.

Great Britain is not going to be so great in a few years time if Mr Cameron and his millionaire party members get back in in 2015.

Then he says "let us finish the job we started" how much more can he cut.

Anyone think he call the general election early?

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    How pleasant to not hear rhetoric at a high volume, thoughtful, calm and giving out thoughts for the future. Not that this will get my vote at present.

I see Holland is moving in the same direction re: youths and earning or learning, the Dutch are also expanding these thoughts and asking the elderly and disabled to contribute to society, I applaud their inclusiveness and look forward to seeing where it will lead.
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    I understand that he wants to get Britain more skillful and that there are a shortage of skills in this country.

Unfortunately when I was at school if you left with no qualifications or were not expected o do well or fell behind you were left to carry on and it seems nobody cared. Thankfully things have changed and school pupils get regular tests and are expected to achieve higher standards.

I like the ideas of giving young people a push and not to just leave school, Have or father a child and get a house and claim forever but I do see it causing some problems for the young people who are vulnerable and have nobody to turn to.

I think we have been looking at how other countries do things for a while now and adopting similar things to the UK.

As for working for your dole - The only thing I disagree with is that your big companies are going to benefit substantially from free or low labour costs and it may be that someone has to do the same job and hours for their £60 a week when other employees are on the minimum wage and getting a lot more for the same amount of work.

Then will companies/employers not take on as many full time jobs because they will be aware of this new policy and look at it as a way of reducing their costs.

Either way its going to be interesting to see if it works.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    My thoughts on this we will have more homeless young people and many more alcoholics that don't want to work..he should come and live on the estate near us for a while....they go to the job center smelling of drink then they wont be sent for work..
    I feel for the people that have lost there jobs through no fault of there own and will be made to work for nothing...and I could go on.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    For my money this is just yet more policy that's been written on the back of a **** packet.

Yes, the idea is good. There are areas of the country in which families, and indeed streets of families, have never known work in three generations. They have no work ethic. The kids have no example of getting up and out and putting in a day's graft. Making them work for their benefits seems like an good plan on the surface. But...

Not everywhere has a job centre to hand. For some villages it is an expensive bus ride away. How will that pan out?

How are teachers expected to teach disruptive semi-adults who just don't want to be there? Or teach the ones who do in that situation?

There aren't enough jobs for the ones who want to work let alone the ones who don't.

This will end up exactly like the reform of disability benefits - a great idea to get the scroungers off the state's back but so badly executed that it will be the non-scroungers who suffer most.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    If...this policy came into being and panned out then DC would have acted, as a statesman, in the countries best interests, we shall see.
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    Well said Sticky but, the ideas are good for an ideal world which this isn't!!

This Government is managing to make a complete muddle of everything. Why not try and improve one thing at a time instead all at once.

I made my mind up a long time ago who I will vote for and it's not the Tories!
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    For my money this is just yet more policy that's been written on the back of a **** packet.

How are teachers expected to teach disruptive semi-adults who just don't want to be there? Or teach the ones who do in that situation?

Too right Stickwicket

My youngest has to stay on next year (the first year I think to stay on till 18) with those who do NOT want to be there, who have disrupted her education for long enough :roll:

There is research which says we are not 'adults' till 25 these days.... :?

love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I'm puzzled by the earning or learning up to 25. I've supported 2 children from 18-23 while they were at uni but not many parents are in a position to do that. Some parents will struggle to feed/clothe their children up until the age of 25 in areas of high unemployment if they do not qualify for any income from benefits.

I feel that all this talk about cutting benefits/ scroungers etc is to distract from the high level of unemployment. Surely a government should be creating decent employment and living conditions for its people. They must be jumping for joy at all the blame posted towards the vulnerable and not at those in charge.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • numptynora
    Options
    "Anyone think he call the general election early?"

The more I think about it, the more I wish he would call for an election early but, that won't happen now that he's had a shuffle.
    Numps x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    He makes out he wants to make Britain 'Great' again but I don't think these reforms he's coming out with have been thought out well! Good kids have to stay at school longer, but the ones who don't want to be there will just make it harder for the ones who do want to learn, it was like that when I was at school this group would pick on the 'swots' one of them was me! They would throw things at us and generally abuse us in class. That will start to happen again! As for jobs where are these magical jobs for people made to go out and find work? It's a good idea to stop housing benefit for the young 'I can't be bothered to work so I will just get pregnant!' But how do you sort the vulnerable from dossers? As is this new disability benefit, I would love to see how they separate the people who make out they are disabled and unable to work from the real disabled who truly can't go out to work due to their illness/disability.
    He won't call a general election yet because he's no longer doing well in the polls and he's not a popular PM.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    numptynora wrote:
    "Anyone think he call the general election early?"

The more I think about it, the more I wish he would call for an election early but, that won't happen now that he's had a shuffle.

Following the fixed-term parliament act, passed in 2011, the date of the next general election will be 7th May 2015. Presumably they wanted to hold onto power for as long as they could so this act was passed to secure a 5 year term.

Its all benefits they want to cut for the under 25 year olds. Unfortunately not everyone has a family willing or able to support young people through further training and with only low paid, temporary, part time or zero hours contracts available many are going to struggle. Many young people will feel the world of work is not secure enough and will want to opt for some sort of further training but I'm not sure if there are currently enough suitable places available.

I can see wages and work related standards dropping as young people have to take any work or go without.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • numptynora
    Options
    2015 seems a life time away, a lot of us are going to be so weary and tired by then, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a bad turn out to vote
    Numps x
  • Stormyblue
    Stormyblue Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Bedroom tax, cut of benefits, making things difficulties for youth, attack on people with disabilities or an condition that cause by disease what ever you want to label it, erm I can see everthing going downhill, people are now being horrible and giving him a bad label. I am sure you will get the drift what type of label he would recieve.
    I agree theres isnt enough jobs out there for people needing a job but having said that, I also notice people are becoming greedy where money are concern (ie a better wages) I think if the government doesnt keep rising the oney every year I think the struggle would be less. But of course that my view on those that are struggling, I have to pay bedroom tax cos in theory I am suppose to be in a two bedroom house, but we can afford the bedroom tax but I wonder how they will succeed in gaining money from this because they spend they spend the money thats isnt call for. I wouldnt be surprise if the next election change over again and then the next MP will let us down again whoever they may be.. All I can say is David want Britain to be 'Great' again.. he will not succeed.

Please note: amended to standard form by Moderator JK...thank your cooperation
    Life's for living, use it well