Any tips on improving my memory?

Options
maria09
maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
edited 14. Oct 2013, 11:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi
My mind seems to be turning to mush and although I do make a joke about it. It does cause me concern so any advice and tips will be most welcome
Maria :)

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Maria..mine has gone horrendous and yes it is worrying...I have notebook at the side of me ...and write everything down..its my best friend ..I even have one at the side of the bad in case I think of something in the night... :roll: :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    All appointments go on the calendar in this household.

But I did notice, about when I turned 50, that I was forgetting more stuff though my sons insisted, with some degree of accuracy, that it was simply that I never listened in the first place :roll:

I worked on the 'use it or lose it' principle and started doing crosswords, sudoku, anything that would stretch my mind and force me to concentrate. I also started to get more conscientious about exercising because that, too, is supposed to help by improving circulation.

There's loads of stuff on the net on improving your memory if you want to go down that route. Just simply memorising sequences of playing cards will help but I find that boring.

I don't think my memory is much better 17 years on, but I don't think it's any worse which is a plus.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • maria09
    Options
    Hey SW you are right I've just hit 50! Thought it was because I'd just left work and not using my brain as much!
    I get told that all the time by my two who either say " I told you that mum but you weren't listening" or " mum you have told me that 5 times today already"
    Maybe the pair of them are trying to send me mad! Or madder than I am already :wink:
    Will try some of those brain games if i remember :roll:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    what did she say again?? :?

Seriously Maria I opt for something along the lines of Stickywicket. Notes and calendars else I would be lost.... :oops:

take care

Love

Toni xxx
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Maria ,I was told lots of fish in the diet,well thats ok if you like it ,I do think the brain exercise is probably the best ,as they always say use it lose it ,I think most of us have senior moments from time to time ,glasses on the top of the head etc ........Marrianne x :? ..........errr I meant to say Use it or lose it :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    For me I think it's more a matter of concentration rather than memory. I cannot concentrate as well as before thanks to the pain and discomfort. People tell me things (well, the say they have) but I don't remember. I write stuff down, make notes on my phone (and then forget I've done that) and yes, do plenty of puzzles to help the concentration.

For me I think it's more a matter of . . . . . . I've done this already, haven't I? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    My memory is horrendously bad! I have to put appointments with reminders on my phone so a couple of days before my phone sends me a reminder! And any tasks I need to do are on my mobile phone calender and I tick them off when done. I also have a memo app to put messages on and it's like a post it note that goes that shows up on my mobile screen very clever! I know I would be a total mess if it wasn't for my mobile and all these new clever applications for mobile phones!! :oops:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    I learn languages and memorize poetry. That helps, I guess. Though I have moments when I confuse the said languages. But I was told it's due to a neurotransmitter problem triggered by the strokes.
    Garlic? Ginger? Ginseng? They are supposed to help.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    you must repeat 50 times a day I O Colin £50
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Hi Maria,
    apparently the menopause has a real effect on the memory. My best friend used to lecture on midwifery and when she started the change her brain turned to mush and she found it very difficult to continue lecturing. After her GP prescribed HRT she returned to her normal self. My memory seemed to deteriorate at 50 but unfortunately I'm still ga ga. :lol:

I meet a group of women socially once a month and I can't remember one lady's name(it's Hazel) so I think of Hazel, the rabbit in Watership Down, she thought it was hilarious. A bit sad but it works for me.

Otherwise everything goes in my diary like other people or I just don't remember.

Trish x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Crikey Colin, you've only gone and done it again! :lol: You are a case, no? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Wow I forgot about menopause giving you mushy brain!! :lol: So I must have double mushy brain!! That just about makes sense!!
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Crossword puzzles, games books, reading, talking to others one to one, work, interesting hobbies/sports, I'm sure there are many more.
  • maria09
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments
    Oh Colin £50 did you forget I gave your money the other day you must have forgot :lol: