Hello o/

BluesWalk
BluesWalk Member Posts: 48
edited 8. Jul 2014, 08:20 in Young people's community
Hey im 24 from Scotland, suffering from Psoriatic arthritis \o/

If anyone is feeling isolated, depressed, frustrated or just in agony and needs a good moan :P I am here to help with advice and a sympathetic ear :)

Comments

• Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello there! I am nearly 24 with psoriasis arthritis :) How are you getting on?
    Kat x
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • nufccav
    nufccav Member Posts: 3
    Oioi how you do lad n ladies ive got R A and am 26 from n east hows yous doo
  • BluesWalk
    Hey, I am getting on ok now, the first year was really difficult and I was signed off work for awhile. I lost a lot of friends, found myself spending more and more indoors and had a lot of self pity :P However for the last few months, I decided that I had to do something even if I was going to be physically difficult. I could either go to work part time or go to college and decided increasing my education would be more beneficial.

So I guess I am still on the journey, but I kind of feel I am getting there now. I have met a good amount of people with Arthritis and hopefully will be making new, better friends :)

What about yourself?
  • Kittkat
    Awesome! well I just finished my degree now studying to be a counsellor ( meant to be doing an essay right now haha). Have spent a great deal of time moping about myself! What medication are you on Blues and welcome nuffccav?
  • BluesWalk
    Fantastic! Well done doing your degree :)

At the moment, I have just came off Leflunomide and will be starting on Sulfasalazine within the next few weeks. I am also going on a waiting list for 'Biologics', although I am very worried about side effects of them. I was taking Methotrexate tablets, then injections, but had to come off both due to my liver results :(

I am also taking Paracetamol, Diclofenac and Tramadol. I started recently taking 'Boron' supplements as I heard they helped but that's only within a few weeks.

What kind of medication are you on? :)
  • BluesWalk
    Hey Nufccav, I also am a Newcastle United fan!
  • Kittkat
    Thank you :D . At the moment I am just on methotrexate+folic acid. Skin is starting to clear up though so that's one good thing. Having some mouth ulcers on the methotrexate but thankfully they are clearing up. Good look with the sulfasalzine! Yeah I hear you about the biologics my friend is afraid to start them for his skin. I'd say don't be afraid of them they may change your life and that would be amazing !I have a feeling the biologics tend to have less side effects like ulcers/ nausea etc :)
  • BluesWalk
    Aye the main reason I was gutted for not being able to stay on methotrexate was my skin :( I just hate being on a medication like leflunomide for over a year and they want to try something else. Feels like a step back!
  • Kittkat
    Oh am sorry to hear this it is C*** when that happens. You say you are on the waiting list for biological. Do you know how long that may be?
  • BluesWalk
    Not sure, I haven't even started my new meds yet got an appointment this week; hopefully everything will go smoothly :)
  • Kittkat
    How was your appointment blue?
  • BluesWalk
    Hey! Well I am going to be on 8 tablets a day which seems really crazy to me. 8 Sulfasalazine tablets is that tight? Only thing they didn't give me the folic acid tablets so im quite annoyed, I have to go back and get them now.
  • noelc
    noelc Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, i'm Noel. 26 and also have P.A. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. Previous to this I was diagnosed with JRA at age 11. For the past 18 months the joint pain hasn't been too bad. I took myself off all meds after about two years of chopping and changing. The day to day pain and stiffness is bareable. So for the time being I'm happy enough not to be taking tablets! :D
    My main concern is the psoriasis on my back, a little on my hands and the ususal pitting on the nails, theres a little on my scalp but im able to manage it with diprosalic ointmen. The patches on my body are a little harder to treat as i can use cream and they will go away for a couple of days but return soon after. I was just wondering if you had any advice on the skin side of the condition. Possibly a more permanent solution to treating this side of the disease?
  • Kittkat
    Hello Noel. If you wanted to try a natural remedy for your skin I would recommend taking omega 3 fish oils. I will send you a link to a formula many people with psoriasis have used. Basically it is vitamin d, omega 3 + a multivitamin.
    If you wanted to go down the meds route I am on 7.5 mgs of methotrexate and it has cleared up my skin completely. I have also cleared up by light therapy. You will need to get referred to a dermatologist though
    Take care
    Kat
  • shellieroo
    shellieroo Member Posts: 1
    Hi there im 24 from belfast and am in the first year of havin RA just wanting to speak to people who are in the same boat lol