Driving tests

Options
maria09
maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
edited 19. Oct 2013, 12:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi
My daughter is at this very minute on her driving test
It got me thinking how many passed their test first time or if failed how many times dis you take yours
I passed on my 5th attempt!
Maria :)

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Past mine first time although I took it on the Friday before Henley regatta, Henley was madness but in some ways it paid off as I had to drive really slow for most of it, I also remember being told by a load of people "I hope you don't get Mr Fruin he's a really tough instructor", On the day I went into the room waited for my instructor to come out and guess what I got him!, But as I've already said I still managed to pass first time, but boy was I nervous!. :lol:
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    This is me admitting a very big secret not many people know the truth of how many driving tests I took in the end! I still haven't passed my driving test and never will now! Right here goes!! I eventually took 7 driving tests before I gave up all together.
    I had taken 2 driving tests before I had the crash (which was on a driving lesson, accident wasn't my fault!) And 5 after but I was nervous of driving and even to this day if an articulated lorry is front, behind or passing us I start to shake. I had to stop driving anyway after the seizures started.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Not driving these days is perhaps a blessing in disguise? The cost of car owning is a greater part of our income, too much I think.

I passed 2nd time although I was already riding and driving a 3 wheeler, shades of Fools and Horses!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    First. I went right into the kerb on a 3 point turn and was so sure I'd failed I was relaxed for the rest of the test. I couldn't believe he'd still passed me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    First. Probably thanks to the intake of fermented grapejuice the evening before the test. I hate being tested.
  • maria09
    Options
    My daughter passed yippee
    Just my son now so no pressure there!! Hopefully he will pass first time too
    I had a friend who passed on her 10th! On one of her tests she was so distraught and panicking that her examiner made her stop as she was unsafe and he walked back to the test centre in the pouring rain!
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi maria09
    fingers crossed for your daughter good luck
    yepp its a first for me maria as you can imagen i was well chuffed
    then i went out and brought the car of my dreams(think it was all i could aford) :wink:
    a bubble car :lol: and i polish it so mush i got back to the bare metal :lol::lol:
    i was so chuffed
    mike26 :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I passed first time after six lessons, I think I was a natural. I can teach people how to read and write but teach them to drive? No way, I would not have the patience.

Congratulations to your daughter - she's provided another brighter spot in the general dullness of life! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Congratulations to your daughter Maria that's great news. I passed my test fourth time, although my first attempt I couldn't understand what I had done wrong so was very nervous second and third, got the same examiner fourth so I must have thought s*d you, I'll show you :lol:.......................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Many congratulations to your daughter, now will she be borrowing your car??

I passed at the second attempt. On the first one I was so nervous that I ignored the examiner when he rapped his newspaper on the dashboard as a sign for an emergency stop and when he asked me to do hand signals I ignored that too. :roll:

Trish x
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Oh congratulations to your daughter Maria,Cannot drive any more but its wonderful to have the independance and freedom and to help Mum now and then .Marrianne x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Congrats on your daughter passing her test Maria! Your poor soon must be feeling the pressure yes! :o
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I passed first time. I cocked-up the first 5-10 mins and thought I need to salvage some pride here so I did the rest of the test perfectly. It helped that I was angry with myself as I really got a grip after that.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • maria09
    Options
    Thank you all for your lovely replies
    We keep joking to our son that the pressures on now but he's only been learning for a month now
    It's their instructor I've put under pressure but he is very good and a cousin of ours so he has to do his best to get them passed 1st time or I'll tell his mum :)
    What's really impressive is my daughter is really poorly with her ulcerative colitis and feels dreadful so I'm so so very proud of her and all her achievements
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Maria ,That makes it even more brilliant guess you guys are squeesing yourselves right this minute bless your little girl hugs to you all and not to much pressure on son ....really happy for you all ........Marrianne :)
  • maria09
    Options
    marrianne wrote:
    Maria ,That makes it even more brilliant guess you guys are squeesing yourselves right this minute bless your little girl hugs to you all and not to much pressure on son ....really happy for you all ........Marrianne :)
    Thank you so much
    X
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    Brilliant news Maria, I past first time so did my son and grandson past first time last year. My ex husband said it was the worst thing HE LET ME DO!! :shock: It really did mean I didn't need to rely on him to go any where and help with shopping. It was the best thing I ever did :lol:
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Nowt to do with driving tests, but heard today my 10 year old grand
    daughter has passed her 11plus exam and will now attend the best
    girl's grammar school in the county and one which regularly features
    in the top results lists in the country. Very pleased for and proud of
    her and just had to share the good news.
    Passed the driving test a long time ago, but had to surrender it
    recently because I had a stroke. Hopefully it will only be temporary,
    and if so I may well have already served more that a third of my
    sentence.
    On balance I'm more happy than sad.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hello Maria
    congratulations to your daughter. I cannot drive I don't like big lorries
    I have a mobility scoota that gets me where I want to go sue goes in the shops on hers and we can walk the dogs. we have to have a tax disc because they go 8 mph and they are insured just like a car at the moment we don't pay for the disc.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maria09
    Options
    Joan
    Do you need to take a test to drive them?
    I've seen a few speedsters out there who totally ignore their own safety,safety of other road users and of pedestrians!
    I saw one guy nearly run into the back of a lady pushing a buggy!
    Maria
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hello Maria
    there is a leaflet that shopmobility have they loan scoota's out to people to go round the shops it says how to stop all you do is take your hand off the controls you are told not to go fast a lot of people have their own scootas and they don't take any notice of people saying things to them.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Hi Folks,

My daughter Ellie took her test 2 weeks ago and passed first time. I was really pleased and kept thinking about all the lifts she had to 'pay' back!! Then she drove to uni for the first time- I felt sick!!! She drove herself to work on Saturday at the local rugger club and didn't come home til 2.30 the next morning. I was a wreck!!! I think it was better when I wasrunning her around giving her lifts at least I knew where she was !!!

Love Kate x
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    Hi all, this board gave me a lot of support when I was learning to drive , it took me many lessons and 3 different instructors unitl I found one that got me through my 8th driving test and I passed , it truly was the best thing That I had ever done .my car as many adaptions but this did not put me off

all the best

Mike R & Hazel & Mike JR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Which absolutely proves that perseverance pays off Mike :)

2nd time for me

Well done Ellie Kate - Charley's driving doesn't worry me any more you will relax in time. It's about 9 months now

Love

Toni xxx
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Hi Toni,

Yes certainly need to relax about it! We let her drive youngest to a restaurant for a family meal last night -first time she has driven her little sister. You can only imagine the blind panic I was in when we got there and they were no where to be seen!! We waited for 15 minutes then started ringing. "We're in the bar" said Ellie! " no we're there and you're not!". In a moment of Fibro brain fog I had driven to the wrong pub!!!

Blame it on my age!!!

Love Kate xx