Cold weather make the joints seize up

Options
Stormyblue
Stormyblue Member Posts: 23
edited 25. Nov 2021, 15:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hello everyone.
The colder weather is among us in most area, wanted to ask, I find that in cold weather it makes my joint sort of seize up, and that when it gets really bad, I am not too bad when it nice and warm (hot even) is there a way I can prevent the cold getting to my affected joints in the cold weather, I am currently awaiting the appointment with the physio. I even struggle to walk long distance 10 minutes in to walking to collect my kids from school i am in discomfort, I take painkiller paracetamol but even at its worse it dont help :cry: Love to hear different opinion on this matter.
(i have problem with my left knee and with both hands in regard to finger joints was told I have osteoarthritis)
Life's for living, use it well

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 25. Nov 2021, 15:53
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. I am one of the very lucky ones who has two kinds of arthritis so no matter what the weather life is uncomfy. :lol: Most OA-ers find comfot with applying heat to the affected joints, so in the case of hands a soak in warm water can be beneficial, as can hot wax treatments. For the larger joints it's more a case of hotties or wheat bags; the 'problem' with both is that the relief is temporary. For the auto-immuners it's not that straightforward - I have a creaky foot in both camps.
    I wish you well and look forward to seeing your name here and there. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Stormyblue
    edited 25. Nov 2021, 15:54
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. I am one of the very lucky ones who has two kinds of arthritis so no matter what the weather life is uncomfy. :lol: Most OA-ers find comfot with applying heat to the affected joints, so in the case of hands a soak in warm water can be beneficial, as can hot wax treatments. For the larger joints it's more a case of hotties or wheat bags; the 'problem' with both is that the relief is temporary. For the auto-immuners it's not that straightforward - I have a creaky foot in both camps.
    I wish you well and look forward to seeing your name here and there. DD

interesting! i have been using wheat bag as it more flexable then a hot water bottle, but sometime it just too hot for me heh. i try to rest it as much as I can but i lead an active life and for my age I rather remain that way, my crazy moto have been i will rest when I am dead. (told ya its crazy) if they want to move this thread thats fine just as long I can find it lol to read replies and read others post to the relating topic :) MM thanks for the tip tell me more about this wax treatment how does that work?
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Storm ,Welcome to the forum,The wax treatment DD made mention of is given at a lot of hospitals ,hands are dipped into warm wax and left to set ,its a lovely feeling and after the wax has cooled its peeled of leaving the hands softer and more supple ,Marrianne :)
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi Stormyblue

I don't have arthritis anymore as have a new knee but was a sufferer for well over 20years. I always found in that time that the weather made no difference at all to my knee it simply had bad times when it felt like it, no rhyme or reason. We are all different even though we may all be arfur sufferers it is strange but something we cannot control.

Elainexx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I put a blanket over me when indoors just to keep my legs warm, time for socks as well!!
  • Stormyblue
    Options
    marrianne wrote:
    Hello Storm ,Welcome to the forum,The wax treatment DD made mention of is given at a lot of hospitals ,hands are dipped into warm wax and left to set ,its a lovely feeling and after the wax has cooled its peeled of leaving the hands softer and more supple ,Marrianne :)

Is this something worth mentioning to my physio once I have a appointment date ( as awaiting to see one)
  • Stormyblue
    Options
    Hi Stormyblue

I don't have arthritis anymore as have a new knee but was a sufferer for well over 20years. I always found in that time that the weather made no difference at all to my knee it simply had bad times when it felt like it, no rhyme or reason. We are all different even though we may all be arfur sufferers it is strange but something we cannot control.

Elainexx

20 years.. long time. when I was a little girl I had a tibal torsion, I think this what caused my O/A to develop, ( hardly surprising to be honest) did you have to wait for it to be really bad before they replace your knee or can you request them to put in a new one to end the pain?? how does that work?
  • Stormyblue
    Options
    bubbadog wrote:
    I put a blanket over me when indoors just to keep my legs warm, time for socks as well!!

heh I did that last year. the dog ended up joining in the warmth :D
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Stormyblue wrote:
    marrianne wrote:

Is this something worth mentioning to my physio once I have a appointment date ( as awaiting to see one)
    Stormyblue ,Well worth it thats how I got 3 treatments in total ,and I loved it the physio Then gace us playdo stuff to roll out and make little balls between our fingers :lol: ....yes a bit playskool ...but non the less very helpful good luck ..............oh just a thought if you like it ..they do sell a much cheaper version on Amazo.,but worth metioning to the physio if its safe for you to use at home ........Marrianne :)
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Stormy

Yes I had to wait until I was 44, it deterirated so bad at age 42 but one surgeon wanted to take out my kneecap, sought second opinion and had to lose weight but my age was still against me. Had surgery 90 miles away from where I live (Kendal, surgery was in Wigan)...It was a long hard slog but worth it in the end, couldn;'t have gone on that way...

Elainexx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello and welcome
    I find the heat effects my joints..if it very warm that is, but we went to Spain for an holidays, and was surprised at how well I felt..must say though I do love my wheat bags in winter x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Stormy, either one of my two cats usually join me when I have my furry throw over my legs. They certainly help with keeping me warm and not able to move for a while!! :)