shoulder O/A

jimall
jimall Member Posts: 16
edited 18. Oct 2013, 11:10 in Say Hello Archive
Hi All

The only med i get now is
Solpodine. Tried hard to get a strong painkiller but took my Doc 20mins and gave in and gave me the above.
Personally as probably most of you are aware I don't think they know how painful it is. All you get is keep moving . As it is in both my shoulders it is quite hard not to move them.
Jim

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    No matter the strength of the pain relief it won't relieve the pain, end of. The stronger the relief the more you are taken away from the pain, not vice versa. The trouble with OA is that there is not much to be done apart from pain relief or maybe an anti-inflammatory (plus stomach protector). Of course GPs don't fully understand, how can they? They deal with the theory, we're the poor saps who have the reality. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    Solpadeine is, I think the equivalent of co-codamol ie a combination of codeine and paracetamol. It can be quite strong depending on the amount of codeine it contains. There are also anti-inflammatory meds but possibly you can't take these because of a different medical problem. Many of us can't.

I agree, though, that shoulder pain is a tough one as it's so hard to get them into a comfortable position. It's true that it's hard not to move them but I was always taught to take mine through their full range of movement every day. In normal, everyday use they don't get that but it does help to keep the supporting muscles strong and that means less pain. You can find exercises in Arthritis Care's booklet on Healthy Living.

I've just watched a couple of short films that have been made, on conjunction with Arthritis Care, on coping with arthritis. I think you might find them helpful. They are each only 2-4 minutes long. Why not try them? http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/NewsRoo ... ories/bOyV
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,292
    Hi Jim

shoulders can be pretty awful place to have arthritis (not that any joint is GOOD of course), solpadol eh? Did he add an anti-inflammatory like DD mentioned??? Have you tried heat (wheatbags you microwave) or cold ice packs???

Take care

love

Toni xxx
  • jimall
    Hi All:-)

Thanks for your messages. Have been away for a couple of days so just got your mail.

Thanks yes have had all of the above over the last 5 yrs.

I think what does not help is tha. i have worked since left school and my last employer aftet 21yrs paid me off because i had to much time of work. So now with no income only DLA for support doesn't help with my situation,now Doctor is looking at me being depressed.
    Anyone out there had similar experiance?
    Jim:-)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh yes, many of us. Work-wise I was lucky because I was self-employed but I have had to give up. Depression? For sure, I've been on anti-deps since April 2011, when I was diagnosed with OA in addition to the other arthritis, I intended them to be a short-term thing but my rheumatologist disagreed. Her view was that being in a better place mentally would help me cope better with the pain and she is right.

Man cannot live on DLA alone - I fear it may be time for you to find out what other benefits you may be entitiled to but be prepared for the long-haul in claiming them. It's a tough world, that one. Your local CAB may be able to advise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jimall
    Thanks DD

Will look at that. Will let you know : :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Jim and a warm welcome to the forum
    You ask your GP to refer you to a consultant, then they could get you a steroid injection in your shoulder..these GPs are renowned for not taking arthritis serious enough..If there is one thing I have learned off this forum is that you have to shout to be heard..I do wish you well and hope you get some help with the finances very soon,we do have a workings matters section you give it a read it might just help you .
    Love
    Barbara