I'm new...

Options
lizziebubs
lizziebubs Member Posts: 2
edited 12. Oct 2013, 08:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi People,

I've just recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and I don't feel like anyone understands so I thought I'd try and find a friendly forum with likeminded people.

I think as I look mostly normal (just a slight bend in my fingers and nobody can see my feet - which are now pretty ugly..) people just think I'm fine..!

I'm struggling with the tiredness I feel as well as not longer being able to run like I used to.

Had the symptoms for 2 years but due to the running and the pain mainly being in my feet the doctors have been trying to tell me it was stress fractures, mortons neuroma and anything else they could atribute to running.. My MRI showed up the arthritis inflammation and then from my own research I felt it might be Psoriatic and then the consultant confirmed it 2 weeks ago. Currently been given time to think about the drugs but I don't know what to do for the best! I'm 27..

Hope it's not a moan but I'm struggling!

Thanks in advance for any replies..

Liz

Comments

• purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Liz,

I'm so sorry that you are in pain and it's taken a long time to get a diagnosis. I won't be any help to you as I have OA in my spine and hips but
    I just wanted to say that this forum is a really good way to find support, with such a lot of friendly people.

I do have chronic psoriasis for which I take Methotrexate, this drug was a big decision for me to use but it has cleared my problem and given me no side effects after 6 years(touch wood)!

I hope you get better soon,

Trish x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options
    Hello Liz. Many people find it can take a long time to get a firm diagnosis but it's seldom running that clouds the issue.

Yes, we do understand how it feels so I'm glad you've found your way here. We all struggle from time to time and it's good, at those times, to be among people who don't require lengthy explanations of the pain and fatigue.

As for meds, my advice would be to take them. I presume it's one or more DMARDS such as sulphasalazine or methotrexate? They should slow down the process of the disease. They do seem a bit daunting at first but potential side effects are just that - potential. Meth has helped me for 13 years.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • SaraD
    SaraD Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi Liz

I'm fairly new myself but have already found it a help at times of stress. I can't help with your type of arthritis either, as I have Palindromic RA but I understand the pain, tiredness and people not understanding. I'm in my third week off work too which is worrying. You just have to try and keep smiling. :)

I'm going just about to do a separate post about my day!!!

Sara
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hello am 23 with psoriasis arthritis so feel your pain literally. Got in all joints had it for 3 years.My advice with meds would also be take them this can be really nasty this disease and the earlier you get treated the better.The vast majority of the time the pros outweigh the cons in favour of taking the meds in my opinion. Pm me if you want to chat :)
    Kat xx
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    Hi welcome to the forum , had RA for a long time myself but the drugs for RA & PA are the same so give them a got they can be very good

the forum here is very helpful & you will find people here going or been through the same thing as yourself so we are never alone
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you. Compared to you I'm ancient but also have PsA (plus some other dross too) and I empathise with your feelings. I too am struggling at the moment (due to other stresses and strains in life) but the arthritis doesn't help matters. It dwindles our ability to cope, drains our patience and lowers our stamina. Today I am thoroughly dwindled, drained and lowered but tomorrow may be better. If not there's always Monday. :)

Rest assured that when you are on here your audience is receptive, we are all under the arrthritis cosh (well, most of us are) and will do our best to help with information and support. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi & welcome :)

I have PsA too along with many other medical problems :?

I had an easy diagnosis, which is lucky it seems. I was put on meds straight away. It was explained to me a bit like this:

'The sooner you take meds to slow the disease the longer ure joints & bones have got but if you choose to put off taking them then damage will be happening to them unchecked!!'

When it was put to me like that I didn't feel like it was a choice, it was a necessity to get treatment asap. Yeah they aren't always pleasant but the alternative of this arthritis running unchecked through my body isn't an option I'd willing pick.

I'm currently off of my meds for other medical reasons & have been for over 3 months ... The pain is ridiculous, my mobility has gone from bad to loads worse & the fatigue etc is awful .... At least wen I'm on meds I feel like I'm doing something to help my body .... A bit like giving up smoking to benefit my lungs :D (I gave up just over 3 months ago, I'm a little proud about it :lol:)

Running .... Wow, ure amazingly lucky :) I hope ul be able to continue, maybe more carefully tho ;)

Wot ever ure decision is uve found a great forum with lots of friendly people.
    (((( )))) xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x