ulcers and swelling

Options
natsp84
natsp84 Member Posts: 2
edited 13. Oct 2013, 08:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm new to this site and thought ide try the chat room because im so fed up. ive had mixed connective tissue disease for 11yrs now and rheumatoid the same. ive already lost the use of my right fingers as they have fused into a fist. the last few days ive developed a digital ulcer due to my raynauds on my left thumb and the pain and swelling has started in my wrist and other fingers and im scared its going to fuse :(. im on antibiotics but they dnt seem to be helping.

has any1 had a simular experience or know how i can prevent it from fusing. its soooooo painful please help :(

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello & welcome,

I'm so sorry, Wot ure going thru sounds awful!! :(
    I'm afraid I have no knowledge at all of ure illness but wanted offer you some support anyway (((((hugs)))))

Does the Rheumatologist treat both conditions? Wot meds do you take for ure RA & do they help the mixed connective tissue disease too?
    Can you ask ure Rheumy or GP for advice regarding stopping the fusion?

I'm sorry I can't help. Take care.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello natsp84, I am so sorry to read of your current troubles, what a very upsetting time this must be. I think your medicos are the best-placed to advise you, I do not know if a natural fusion can be halted by medication and hopefully the anti-bios will soon be building in your system to help heal the ulcer. Are you still taking your arthritis meds? I have always been advised to stop my immuno-suppressants when ill with any form of infection because that allows my immune system to fire up and start fighting the infection. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello nats,

Sorry to hear things are so difficult for you right now. I agree with DD that if you haven't already, a break from your meds (with the agreement from your doctor) may encourage healing. I'm not sure what you're taking but if you're not taking steroids, perhaps a depo injection would be useful? I find ice helps when my joints are swollen but I know some people find it hard to tolerate ice.

Wish you all the best.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    Options
    Nat

I am useless and have no advice at all - just want to offer you my support and to welcome you to our forums :)

I do hope those antibiotics kick in soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options
    I agree with the others that advice from your rheumatology helpline is your best course of action as regards trying to get the ulcer to heal. Laying off whatever DMARDS or anti-tnfs you take might give it a better chance but only do this with the doc's permission.

I have had RA for very many years and, as a result, both my wrists have fused and some of the joints in my fingers also but the wrists both fused in the best 'straight' position thanks mainly to judicious use of wrist splints when they were heading that way. I don't know if these would be suitable for you as you have other problems but I'd definitely ask. They are a nuisance because you are so limited when wearing them but I guess that's the general idea :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright