Sold to a new family.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 15. Oct 2013, 03:30 in Community Chit-chat archive
This is bittersweet. Ma and Pa bought the house new in 1961, we watched it being built and I have loads of pics of that time. We moved to it in the October of 1961, now in the October of 2013 it has been sold.

The young couple who have bought it are utterly smitten, they have seen it six times now (the first time last Saturday morning when it was officially on the market (they booked a slot), they returned on the Saturday afternoon (without a slot), went back on the Sunday with a friend, Monday with some rellies and Tuesday on their own. I accepted their offer on Thursday and they went back today with her parents, the friend and their two small children. The children ran around the garden collecting conkers - I remember doing that. They are so happy and I am content. I was hoping it would go to a family who would tear it down and start again but they are going to live there, as it is, because it's taken all their money just to buy it. That happened with Pa too. Crikey.

Ma died on April 10th and I accepted their offer on October 10th, a pleasant symmetry no? Plus the new lady's first name is the same as my middle. I had a mental target of six months and achieved it. I should feel pleased but actually it's more a feeling of relief.

I am pleased that I was 120 miles away while this was all going on. I have to return at some point to collect the last bits of furniture that I want and I am not looking forward to it but it has to be done. The grand piano will be granted a new lease of life (it looked fab in the photos with the parquet flooring!) and it's all done bar the paperwork.

I am wearing my Ma's wedding rings for comfort and a little strength, her original was multi-faceted and has worn to a curtain ring, plus another that Pa bought her in Dartington many moons ago, a Celtic plaited design. I would have had one of his too but she wouldn't pass one over, when she was burgled they got them and her engagement ring. On the up-side our house purchase is going smoothly, we hope to be moving in the near future.

So, in the past two months we've sold two houses and bought one. Now remains the thorny matter of getting ours on the market. :shock: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    DD so many happy memories, how lovely there is now a new generation in your parents home...someone to appreciate it like you did....how strange it must have been seeing the children running round....hope you enjoy your new home and your old one sells very quickly..((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,708
    Well, you've got plenty of practice in now, DD. You seem to have found a new talant - selling houses. Maybe you should consider making a career of it :)

I think it's good that another young family have it. It sounds like a good place to grow up. My two boys would have loved having their own, personal conker tree. It's the end of an era, and the beginning of another.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    Oh DD

Easy for me to say, but I really can see this is a wonderful family to have your Ma and Pa's old home, (yours too), it's perfect that small children will enjoy the conkers again.

They love that house and your Ma and Pa loved that house too, (and you), so it seems perfect that they are the ones who have it and deserve it.

BUT I do know how hard it is to let one's parents' home go. Sadly for me mine is close enough to check on, (mistake), but it is a relief it is a good thing and it's part of 'the process' we have to go through sadly :(

Take care of yourself now and please accept these ((()))

Toni xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Good to hear that things are moving swiftly and the new family have fallen in love with your parents old home ; nice to know that another family will cherish it . I hope that your move will be as straightforward and that you can soon begin to feel settled too .
    Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    I send my thanks to all of you, it is a better outcome than I thought possible - I even have a 'Welcome to your new home' card for them. :oops: (It's one I bought for another couple but lost it, by the time I found it they were well and truly moved in. :oops: ) DD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The new family will meet with the present genius loci and will add theirs to it, in a way. Walls DO speak. One just has to listen to them. And when one does, one listens to life-stories. Nothing is ever really lost.....
  • dreamdaisy
    I don't know what to say, will a humble 'Merci' be sufficient? DD
  • [Deleted User]
    Pourquoi? :?
  • dreamdaisy
    Because those were comforting words. DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I'm glad your happy with the family that has brought your parents house, I remember when we sold my OH's parents house to a lovely family. It does give you a feeling of relief that the house will be loved as much as you all did. You have had to deal with a lot of up's and down's. But now you can take a deep breath and get ready for a new challenge!
  • BluesWalk
    BluesWalk Member Posts: 48
    It's really weird but I think about this a lot. I am only young but one day hope to find a plot of land somewhere in Scotland and build a house. Any income I will put into the house and hopefully when im grey and old I will have a nice mansion :P

But what happens when I am gone? will my kids look after it? I watch a lot of bargain hunt and stuff and it seems generations of the same family stay in the same house.... I would love to start that :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah BluesWalk, who knows what will happen when we are gone? Luckily the maternal urge by-passed me (the only thing that that 'Mother' Nature got right) so once this house is gone it's gone, it was my parents' dream (well, more accurately my mother's dream), end of.

I used to be young and then, somehow, I wasn't. :wink: Go for it, who knows what may result? DD
  • [Deleted User]
    But no, DD! That's where you are wrong! Your mum's dream still continues. It is not the end of it. There is nothing ever lost in our atmosphere- dreams and thoughts and ideas can't get lost- they just get transformed into something different. As we do.