Dehydration warning...

Options
deedeeitsme
deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
edited 23. Oct 2013, 03:05 in Community Chit-chat archive
I know it's off topic but just had to warn you lovely people. My daughter(28) started with quite bad diorrhea (sp?) and sickness sunday morning. She was off her food obviously but she was also struggling to keep water down. By 11pm she was so bad with stomach pains and still retching and she look sunken around the eyes that I was really concerned about her (and I am not the most sympathetic person in the world :oops: ). I rang the new 111 helpline and spoke to a lady who asked me to take her to a walk in centre about 10 miles away, I told the lady that she was in no fit state to travel so she said she would get a doctor to ring me straight back. Doctor rang at 11.39 and asked me to take her to a different walk in centre, this time around 20 miles away, again I explained that she was not fit to be moved. She, reluctantly, said she would put her on the list for a home visit. By this time my daughter is in severe pain and heaving but bringing nothing up. I am really worried now. At 1.30 am no doctor has shown. I ring up 111 again to find out what is happening, the lady puts me on hold whilst she speaks to the doctor, she then tells me that the doctor is really busy and there are 2 more urgent cases that she has to see before coming here. Fine I think, she should be with us shortly then. 3.30am I get a phonecall from said doctor enquiring how my daughter is. Really not good at all, under her eyes were black and she was still in terrible pain. Ok said the doctor, we are really busy tonight so the only thing I can do is call an ambulance out for her :o . 4 and a half hours after I had rung 111 !!!!! She had been like this for almost 24 hours now. The ambulance came and placed her inside. By this time she's tachicardic!! They struggle to get her calm and her blood pressure down to a safe level and then she starts talking like she has had 100 dental injections in her mouth, she goes numb down her right side and her right had is really contorted and stuck there. So frightening for both of us. We arrived at the hospital and they take bloods and an ecg and put her on intravenous fluids and pain killers. She was severely dehydrated and the symptoms she had had in the ambulance were all due to this. I dread to think what would have happened if we didn't get to the hospital when we did. We got back home around 9.30am and she is a lot better. Not 100% but getting there. I would never have thought that dehydration could cause such adverse affects and really not nice to see (I though she had had a stroke) so please if you get this bug and you can't keep water down seek help (maybe not the 111 service) Very scary stuff that I don't ever want to witness again.

Take care all...
Dee xxx

Comments

• purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dee,

what an awful, frightening time for you both!! There aren't really any words to describe my thoughts. Many thanks for sharing your experience.

I will definitely try to avoid the 111 service, disgusting treatment!!

Hoping she gets over this quickly.

Trish xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    Oh dear me your poor daughter and how frightening it must have been for you
    I've not used the new 111 yet and don't think I will
    I don't understand when they knew how busy they were that they didn't send an ambulance straight away! Dehydration is a very serious matter
    If in doubt call the paramedics
    I hope she feels better soon
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Crikey, your poor girl, how distressing for you all. Dehydration can be rapid when one has the severe trots but if you can't keep water down then you know you're in trouble. I am pleased that this was sorted and that she is on the mend - I hope it never happens again but if it should - 999 methinks. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • deedeeitsme
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind messages....I knew dehydration was bad and I kept stressing the point that she couldn't keep water down but I NEVER want to experience that again and wouldn't want anyone else to, hence the warning. 111 is defo out for me now, first time and last time I'll use them. I think they thought if they left it long enough we'd tell them not to bother. The ambulance staff were not surprised by this though, it happens often apparently, and they told us about a 24 hour walk in centre that is about 12 mins away by car from us, next door to the hospital we went to this morning and said not to bother with 111 but go straight there, and they also said if we struggle to get an appointment at our local docs that they will see you as well so that's good to know and will be our first port of call if (fingers crossed) we need medical attention unless of course its a 999 one.

Thanks again you lovely people, take care all.

Dee xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    deedee this is awful...there are so many people suffering because the duty GPs cant get to them...I am very aware of dehydration..so I keep the sachet in that you drink ...but like you say your daughter shouldn't keep anything down..so it was intravenous..I am so glad she got to hospital..and it was all down to you.....I do hope she make speedy recovery...bet you are still in shock...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    Oh my goodness Deedee, how frightening, I used to get severe migraines they were the whole business, sick and diarrhea, I couldn't even keep water down and because of that I was dehydrated which in turn made the head worse, only one Doctor told me the dangers of being dehydrated!!

I do hope your daughter is recovering well, take care both of you
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Oh the poor thing Dee!!!

I am so glad you persisted.

I do know the dangers of dehydration luckily, but it's good to be reminded just how quickly it can happen.

I hope she is on the mend and that no-one else caught the bug?

Love

Toni xxx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Dee

That sounded like an awful few hour for you both to endure and the 111 sounded as much use as a chocolate fireguard! It really was frightening to read but I am glad it had a positive outcome and it really is a warning to us all never to be too cautious calling for/getting help...Thank god she had you with her..

Elainexx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Wow DD what s ruff time you had of it!! I have heard so many bad things about this 111 service! I think I prefered NHS Direct, I used them quite a few times due to myself or OH being ill (He has problems with his kidney's one only working 25% and the other 65%). How is your daughter this morning? I will keep my fingers crossed I don't get this bug!!
  • deedeeitsme
    Options
    Hi all, thank you for your replies. I found out a couple of days after that my son had had it too (he doesn't live at home) on the Sunday through to Monday so it had to be a bug and a vicious one a that. They are both fine now though so alls well. And.......I'm going to be a gran again, was told this week, can't wait for another little one :D

Take care all
    Dee xxx
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    What a horrible thing to go through. So glad your daughter has made a full recovery. Thank you for the warning.

Congratulations!! A new baby to look forward to. It is such a special time. I am so enjoying my 12 day old grandson. I hope all goes well and baby will be here before you know it.

Susie