Burning sensation in ankles

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 14. Oct 2013, 16:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Over the last 4 weeks since I returned to university this has progressive got worse and worse, where ever I walk or stand I get a really painful burning sensation down the side of my bottom leg/ankle on both feet/legs. One I sit down the pain will actually get worse for around 5 minutes and then eventually settle down and leave my feel feeling very sore and stiff.

Has anyone ever had anything like this? I thought I'd just ask on here before I give me helpline a call on Friday to see what they say.

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No idea, sorry ((((( )))))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi As5567,

I have had similar burning pain down fronts of my shins and sides of my calves into ankles in a similar pattern; worse when I lie down, then slowly gets better leaving me stiff and sore. I have always put it down to enthesitis, as I too have a seronegative arthritis. Sometimes it feels like I've been kicked there.

Rest and heat are what works for me.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks Boomer13,

The text below seems to more or less confirm what I'm feeling I guess, will still ring my helpline tho just to be sure.

"Inflammation of the enthesis, where the joint capsules, ligaments or tendons attach to the bone, is a hallmark of ankylosing spondylitis (AS). This can be felt in multiple areas of the body where your doctor can check for pain and tenderness. The sites are sometimes referred to as "hot-spots." They can lead to swelling and tenderness along the back, pelvic bones sacroiliac joints, the chest, and the heel. The heel can be significantly affected, in which case the pain and tenderness can have a serious impact on a person's mobility. The two areas of the foot that can be affected are the Achilles tendon at the back of the heel, and the plantar fascia at the base of the heel."