Stress Fractures in feet.

Options
ELAINE55555
ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
edited 17. Oct 2013, 18:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I have RA and I've had really painful feet for about 5 months now. Rheummy sent me to podiatry,I have had xrays, and finally an MRI scan. Got a phone call today from the rheumatology dept to say the results show that I have stress fractures.( No, I was'nt out jogging lol.) Anyway, the nurse had no sooner told me this when I heard a phone ringing in her office, and she said oh, I need to answer this, I'll call you right back. I am still waiting. Anyone else on here had these stress fractures? I guess its to do with poor bone density. I take adcal C at the moment. Is there anything more I should be taking?

Thanks
Elaine

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

I'm really sorry I can't help but I would suggest ringing the nurse back. They get so busy & I'm sure she was unintentionally side tracked!!

Good luck.
    Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I second Debbie, please ring back because you need some further detail on this, don't you? We are not docs and cannot advise so please contact those who can and let us know the outcome. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ELAINE55555
    Options
    Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies. Our rheumatology dept here in Fife do not answer the phone. It is ALWAYS an answering machine where you have to leave a message and they get back to you in 48 hours. My mobile does not get a signal very well in my house, so I have to sit by the phone for two days waiting for them to call me. GRRRRRR. Very frustrating!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,950
    Options
    Hello Elaine
    yes I have stress fractures I have them in the bit that goes across from one hip to the other I have oa and osteoporosis I was told they get better on their own.
    I hope that helps they are painfull.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Yes I've had a stress fracture to my 2nd metatarsal bone to my right foot abt 10 yrs ago I blame the walk through Herculaneum and Pompeii with all those cobble stones!
    Then went back to work where it got worse ( did work on an orthopaedic ward at the time) Went to AE who,said no it's not broken and to rest 4 weeks later after rest and no improvement GP sent me for X-ray and yes a stress fracture which healed on its own but causes more pain and arthritis has set in ouch!
    The same injury Wayne Rooney had! He had lots of treatment I got nothing!
    I hope they get back to you soon
    Maria
  • ELAINE55555
    Options
    Hi All,

Rheumatology got back to me. They are making an appointment for me with the orthopedic dept, with a view to getting casts made. Hope my feet heal quick, I really don't fancy that!
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    It depends where the fracture is
    They couldn't immobilise mine so I did not get a opt so was quite happy with that
    Maria
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I Elaine
    I don't know anything bout this but I would say ring the nurse back asap....she has probably been distracted and totally forgotten

Love
    Hileen
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I read it takes 6 - 8 weeks for stress fractures in the feet to heal. This seems about the same time as it takes for fractures elsewhere to heal.

I read when googling that stress fractures in the fifth metatarsal bone (on the outer side of the foot) or in the navicular or talus bones take longer to heal. Your doctor may apply a cast to your foot to keep your bones in a fixed position and to remove the stress on your involved leg. Casts are a type of external fixation. To keep weight off your foot and leg, your doctor may recommend that you use crutches until the bone heals.

I wish you well with your appointment.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am pleased that rheumatology have taken action, I hope you don't have to wait too long for the ortho appt to come through. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ELAINE55555
    Options
    Hi ALL,
    Many thanks for your replies. I have had these stress fractures (in both feet) since about April, only I did not know what it was. I am thinking it may be too late to do anything about it now, although both feet still painful. Maybe I should have gone to A and E when it first started, and maybe I would have been attended to more quickly!
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    AE might not have done anything as mine didn't I didn't even get an X-ray!
    Then when I finally did get one they said they wouldn't have potted it! Just wish I'd have had crutches as it was painful!
    Hope they get you sorted soon
    Maria
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Options
    I have Nodal OA and had a metatarsal stress fracture about 2 years ago. It took a week to be diagnosed and x-rayed but I was then equipped with an Aircast boot which was great. Could remove it for showers etc. There was just a short period of non-weight-bearing (I think 3 weeks) after which I could walk in it and even went on holiday wearing it. I have difficulty with crutches as too many other joints are dodgy so used a wheelchair with decreasing frequency.

I do hope your experience is similar and it heals as well as mine did. Some swelling of the foot and ankle for a while but that was all.
    Take good care of yourself!