Form-filling.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 17. Oct 2013, 13:32 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am dealing with a number of forms relating to the sale of my Ma's house. I am confronted by 32 pages of officialdom although most questions can be answered with a straight yes or no. I cannot find one question relating to the resident squirrel (he is having a whale of a time running round the place) so will keep schtum. (The buyers have seen him and don't mind him because they know he will scarper or be killed - his choice.)

The mind-numbing tedium of this process is nagging at me. Yet another grand or so in legal fees, I have no idea about who is responsible for which boundary or boundaries (luckily there is a 'don't know' option for that one) nor when the house was purchased (the mortgage was paid off some time in the early 70s, would that show on the deeds that the Solicitors' are holding?) I will muddle through because 'im indoors (who is used to all this stuff) is dealing with his mum's sale and our purchase - I think he has enough on his plate, no? What I might do is do it in pencil and ask him to check that I have done it correctly - does that sound like a plan? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I NEVER fill in forms without a bottle of wine next to me. NEVER. First of all I hardly understand the questions since they seem to be in a language I have never heard of, secondly the wine gives you the necessary creativity to answer silly questions.
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    yes dreamdaisy
    pencil it in sounds good to me :? it does make you wonder tho
    is this all to make yet more £££ for the solicitors I think so
    when wifes mother died intestate it cost about £3500.
    so you can see why paper(lots of it) keeps flying about me thinks
    just to put more on ya bill.
    at the end of the day dd, mr squirrel will be to busy berrying his nuts
    and wont care a hoot.
    as caliban said there does seem a lot of silly questions
    soon be all done and dusted dd.
    mike26 :? :?
  • [Deleted User]
    Update and self-pity:
    I'm in the middle of the purchase of a piece of land I need to survive economically. For some complicated reasons three different countries and languages are involved. Will say, three different kinds of paperwork concerning three different administrative systems. I'm on the verge of suicide.
    (Three bottles of wine)
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh Caliban, that does sound very complicated. :shock: I feel as though I have been let off very lightly. My 32 pages are done, in ink, rightly or wrongly. I've dealt with the identity 'I'm not a money-launderer' thing, done some ironing, washed another load of laundry, will shortly be cooking, doing more washing up and paid two bills. Oy veh, enough for today methinks. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    DD ..they don't make life easy do they..but what a good idea to pencil it in...let them do some of the work x
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    There are times DD when I feel it doesn't pay to be intelligent and conscientious. The final declaration on such documents usually says something along the lines of....'to the best of my knowledge and belief'.... and I now tend to take that at face value. In recent years I have been dismayed at the lack of attention to detail shown by so-called professionals in the paperwork they are handsomely paid to send me so now I don't bust a gut to find every last detail; I complete what I know and can easily find. I do not , I must emphasise, give details I know to be incorrect, but have no hesitation in using the 'don't know' option(even if it's not offered - it's interesting to see if it's picked up !)
    Keep your eye on the light at the end of the tunnel, and on the days you can't see it just hang on to the thought that it is still there and will re-appear. It's a difficult time for you, and poor weather and shortening days are not helpful in keeping spirits up( - a combination of glass and hand works well for the latter I believe).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I have a vague recollection that one of the questions on the ESTA form which one fills in before entering the USA is 'Are you a terrorist?'
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Please tell me that there are three possible answers, yes, no and don't know! DD
  • [Deleted User]
    Oh, stickywicked, I remember the question on my visa form: Are you homosexual or do you suffer any other kind of mental disease? :)
    No "don't know", DD!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm speechless.

DD, I'm always tempted to tick the 'yes' box but, after a 26 hr day, I don't want to be put on the next plane back.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    SW- lies are always legitimate on official forms ! Such a harmless anarchism. Real life rules are mostly surreal.