Anyone else been on Humira

Options
SaraD
SaraD Member Posts: 31
edited 19. Oct 2013, 12:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

Following my failed infusion on Friday they are now thinking of putting me on Humira. They won't let me have any more infusions (Inflixmab) as they think I passed out because my body was rejecting the drug.

I was just wondering if anyone else had been on this drug. I believe you have to inject it yourself??? I'm a bit worried about doing that.

Sara

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've been on it for four years now and yes, you do it yourself. I was keen to do so because I couldn't be bothered to flog up the hospital more than necessary. I already had experience of self-injecting with enbrel and methotrexate, so one week I only have the one jab (the meth) the next I have two (the meth and humira). You get used to it. I take it out from the fridge about 30 minutes before I plan to do it, when it's a little wamer that lessens the sting. I also use my stomach area because that has fewer nerve endings. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • SaraD
    Options
    Thanks DD. I don't think I'll be taking with Methotrexate as I had a bad reaction to that. My current medication is Azathioprine but not sure if you can take the two together. I'll just have to give it a go I suppose. Do they get you to do the first few superivised to make sure you don't react?

Sara
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I was on Humira for a few years, great drug while it lasted. I was injecting mine once per week but I think the norm is every 2 weeks.

As far as the injections go I had an appointment with the nurses and was given an induction pack with a dvd etc.

I'm not sure if it's still the case but I was also given the choice of the pen format or the old style manual injection format. I opted for the old style manual format because I like to have control over how quickly the liquid is injected because it does burn while being injected.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Sara,I've been on humira for just about a year now and I am having great results from it ,I take it alongside hydroxychorolquinne.I got a intro pack with a DVD in it but I also got a home visit from a health care at home nurse who are the company that supply the injection ,I have the pen type which I don't have any problems with at all and inject every two weeks. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They didn't with me but, given you have had a reaction to a similar med, it may be better for you to have the first three or four done at the hospital and I hope this can be arranged. My hospital was very keen for me to be self-sufficient and I admit that it is doing something (combined with the meth, this is the first time I have taken meth alongside an anti TNF) but I don't feel any tangible benefits. Apparently I walk a little better for five or so days after but I don't feel it! :lol: DD
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi saraD
    im about to do the same (start humira) i also take methotrexate and leflinomide, inject methotrexate so will do same with humira so ill be on a tripple whammy whoooo :o hope it goes well for you good luck
    and me :? :? mike26..
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I use the epipen type to inject humira , it's easy peasy . I don't have any methotrexate as I had a severe reaction to it but I've noticed a big improvement on humira ; my ESR has moved from 80 to 120 , down to about 45 to 55 since using it . Well worth a try .
    Jillyb
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello SaraD,

I take azathiroprine daily and stab myself fortnightly with humira,
    and at present this combination is really doing it for me.
    A bonus for me is that they are also the prescribed medication for
    my crohns disease; so I am on a sort of a bogof.
  • SaraD
    Options
    Hi ichabod6

Same here as I have Crohns as well as Palindromic Arthritis. Fingers crossed it works for me as well as it has for you.

Sara
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello SaraD,

I've faint memories of being able to cross my fingers.
    Seriously I do hope the combination works for you.
    Please keep me posted.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Sara
    Sorry I cant offer any advice but I just want to wish you well with it xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • SaraD
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. Apparently I can't have the new drug for 10 weeks anyway as I have to have a 'wash out' from the previous drug. Know what you mean about crossing fingers! Didn't think! :)

Sara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's par for the course, in the same way that the meds can take time to build-up in our systems they can also take a similar length of time to depart. Once you get it I hope it really helps but don't get your hopes up too high - that way one can always be pleasantly surprised. :wink: DD