Autumn

Options
Numptydumpty
Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
edited 19. Oct 2013, 09:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
Autumn has always been my least favourite season. It's cold, wet, foggy and around here, really muddy. It seems to be about things ending. The Sumner is just a fond and distant memory. The trees are losing their leaves, the grass stops growing, (yes, I know, that's a relief :wink: )
I was gazing out of my kitchen window, feeling a bit down, when I noticed two squirrels. They were pilfering walnuts from next doors tree, they disappeared for a few moments, then reappeared on top of our dividing wall. They scrambled down into my garden and looked around for a suitable place for their cache. One chose the newly hoed soil around my raspberry canes, the other, feeling braver, chose a pot, close to the kitchen window. Then as though synchronised, they headed back to the wall, disappeared for a few moments, then reappeared in the walnut tree.
They've been repeating this performance all morning, finding different places to secrete their treasures.
It's made me think, Autumn isn't about endings, it's about preparing for the future and new beginnings. I think I might begin to like Autumn now, at least until it rains again. :lol:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm not a fan of autumn either, it's far too drippy, foggy, mouldy and yukky and makes me feel grim but you make a good point. It is time to prepare for the harsher times to come (as demonstrated by those agile rodents) - my late MIL would be busy making chutneys, her Christmas cake and pudding - her version of food storage! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    I'm sitting at the street café desperately trying to get zen. It's warm and the air has this velvety touch to it. No leaves falling yet. What about opening an auberge for you geographically less fortunate? There are even hot springs around. would nhs pay for your hibernation?
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    If only caliban, if only :D
    Your location, if not your situation, sounds idyllic!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    To be frank - it's the only good thing right now. And I try to focuse on it. But perhaps the idea is not that daft. Could even be interesting for my region
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    A new business venture perhaps? I'm sure you would have many customers!
    Good luck with the focussing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No more business ventures for me. I ''m quite overbooked with those, I guess. Could be another volunteering gig, I think. Me in the kitchen... vegan... how disgusting
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No more business ventures for me!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I love sunny Autumn' days..the sun is really appreciated at this time of the year and today has been lovely...dont like the dark night though, but I have been watching the squirrels in a tree across the rd from us..how on earth do they remember were they put the food...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    caliban wrote:
    would nhs pay for your hibernation?

It might be worth a try. I reckon a few of us are a bit of a drain on resources. They might find it cheap at the price.

Squirrels always look happy and bouncy. It's so hard to dislike them except when they're digging up my dwarf irises.

I love the colours of autumn but the reality is, so often, damp and miserable. A friend with a poetic bent once wrote to us of the 'October mists'. "She means the September smog" explained the unpoetic Mr SW.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mr Sw is right, of course.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I looked out of our bedroom window this morning and my father's voice echoed in my mind, 'The season of mists and mellow awfulness . . . ' DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh DD, you should NOT work for your local chamber of tourism! :)
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Did someone mention hot springs a few posts back? Where and when do we go......
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    autumn leaves what colour :o
    itll soon be xmas and think of all the snow :o
    then spring with snowdrops & daffodils :o
    shorts on ,time for summer im of to the seaside :P
    they go so fast sometimes i miss them :roll:
    mike26 :o
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    I don't like dark days.....l have to agree....

but leaves s020.gif

they are gorgeous

g050.gif and

like Mike 26 I count my blessings :)
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Autumn is my favourite season! Everyone gasps when I say this. It evokes very fond memories of childhood, eg dressing up for Halloween, bonfire night, getting ready for christmas etc etc. i also love dressing in warm jumpers, jeans and long boots. I love wearing hats, scarves and gloves. Crisp, sunny days are fabulous to me. The ones where you can see your own breath.

I adore all the autumn leaves plus all the acorns and horse chestnuts that are abundant now. I like nights becoming darker and putting the fire on. Hot chocolate and Holicks before bed. This time of year evokes feelings of comfort and warmth.

I have yet to meet anyone else who agrees with me about the wonders of autumn. I loved it as a child and always will. Plus the coolness stops me overheating and keeps my hair frizz free. Always a boon!

Roll on bonfire night and that wonderful smokey smell and boom boom all night!!!

Sorry all pet owners but i love all the 5th nov bangs and cracks!

Now, where are my hat and gloves.....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    In THEORY I like the picture you draw. But really only in theory. When I was a child I used to spend the winter holidays in a chalet in the Alps. It was heaven. But to be frank: Nowadays I love to see the snow on the mountains whilst sipping wine on the terrace or at the beach without shoes on. :)
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    OK, that's it! Everyone over to caliban's, to sip wine with our shoes/slippers off. :D ( I won't even mind if we can't see the snow on the mountains brrrrr).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You are welcome! But wait one or two days. Right now it's cloudy. I can't stand that.
    White or red?
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    Both for me please, anything but rose. :wink:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are you sure you are a brit? We make the rosé mostly for the British. Would never touch it ourselves. Too dangerous! :)
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    If you snapped me in half, you'd see I have "England" printed right through me, but I still like my wine to taste good. :lol:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Whow! That's sounds genuine!
    Oh, I think tasty rosé exists. It's just not very nice the day after, if you get my meaning.
    Red and white it will be! Mixed together would be a rosé, or not? Cheers!
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    I'll take your word for there being nice tasting rose' s out there, I just haven't come across any.
    Bottoms up!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    My bottoms up too :lol:

Chenin Blanc, for preference, please but I'm not fussy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright