Rheumatology Appointment

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 18. Oct 2013, 03:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone I hope everyone feeling ok and not in too much pain.I just wanted to post about my hospital appointment and see if anyone has some advice for me.I had my Rheumatology Appointment a week ago and was advised to stop taking my Hydroxy for 2 weeks due to my itching becoming quite bad to see if this is the result of my itching.I have also been advised if it is the result of my hydroxy then he wants me to stop taking this and to increase my Methotrexate.I have been avoiding any increases in my Methotrexate for some time due to the mouth ulcers I have been experiencing which has now decreased since I had my Methotrexate decreased.It has been a week now and my itching has decreased a lot and only experience it now and then and only lasts for half hr at the max now.I also told him about how my pain in my buttocks/back of my legs has got worse (which has now started to effect me around the buttocks/lower back while standing since I have stopped taking the Hydroxy) but all he could do is give me an exercise sheet.I do feel now is the time to increase my methotrexate as I am now starting to experience more pain and problems especially with leg,Buttocks and lower back.I am concerned about all the ulcers returning again as they are very painful.I really don't know what to do for the best as the doctor doesn't seem very helpful with understanding how painful the ulcers and leg pains are.I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions that might be useful.Thankyou all.

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Could you get injected Meth? It might be worth asking. I have far fewer side effects since changing to injections.
    Good luck,
    Numpty
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    I hope they can find a way to help you. I was on 30mg with no side effects, luckily, so can't offer any wisdom, sorry.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    I thought they would only offer that in extreme cases that's why I've never asked or they have never offered.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Whatever you do you will have to clear it with rheumatology. I think you have a few options. If you were on the starting dose of hydroxy (usually 2 per day) maybe you could resume on one. Or increase the meth and maybe the folic acid too. Or injected meth. Or maybe add another DMARD to the mix. As I say, any or all of these would require rheumatology though. Why not try the exercises? If they do no good they can do no harm :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    Thankyou I will speak to them in a week and see what they say as I would of been of my Hydroxy for 2 weeks and see what they suggest if Meth I may mention the injection. I will take the increased tablets if I have no other choice but would prefer to avoid if possible.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    In your situation I would simply remind them of your former difficulties with meth and say you know a couple of people who have it by injection and say it lessens the side-effects and would this be possible. If you don't ask you don't get to know :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright