Surgeryit is.............

Options
villier
villier Member Posts: 4,426
edited 20. Oct 2013, 14:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
...........gosh, wasn't expecting that yesterday :shock: I thought I was in for another steroid injection. After checking the x-rays she announces that a trapeziectomy will be the way to go, It will mean a general anaesthetic and an overnight stay, I think she said a cast for a bit and then a splint for about six weeks.

I was then sent to get a pre-assessment, the nurse done the usual bloods, height, weight and blood pressure which was a bit on the high side she said, after that I had to see another nurse who did my history and sounded my chest etc she said I will do your blood pressure again which was still high, as I have a BP monitor at home she asked if I would phone her this morning and tell her the reading which was 159/89 :o oh she said that's fine I will put it on your form so goodness knows what it must have been yesterday, talk about white coat syndrome :lol:

As I live on my own it will be a complete learning curve after the op having to find ways of doing things with the one hand. I am quite a determined person and can be a bit stubborn so the will is there and there will be a way :) xx
Smile a while and while you smile
smile another smile and soon there
will be miles and miles of smiles
just because you smiled I wish your
day is full of Smiles

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry to hear this Villier, but if it helps in the long run, it will be worth it.
    One handed living is quite challenging! Is it your dominant hand needing the op?
    You probably remember I had a wrist fusion last year, if I can help at all with tips on coping with one hand, let me know.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Oh dear, Marie! That must have come as a shock. However, I have no doubt that you will cope although it will be mightily difficult. Will an OT advise, post op?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Oh blimey, it's no surprise ure BP was up if you expecting an injection then to be told operation go n have ure pre op assessment :shock:

Hopefully all will go well & ul make a rapid recovery.

((((( )))))
    Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ye gods. That must have come as a complete shock, no wonder your BP was sky-high - mine has just shot up thinking about it.

You are facing challenges, there's no doubt about that, but I do not doubt for one moment that you can overcome them. You are a strong, determined woman, you prove that time and time again. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Sending hugs,will be there when needed. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Marie it must have been a shock...any mention of surgery shocks me but when you are not expecting it..I am sure you will cope..but I will get the bus ready them we can all be on standby..not sure if you know but when you are on your own and have surgery you should be able to get a couple of weeks help for free... ((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Marie

Oh heck why do they call it that, sounds very fancy for a procedure to take out the small bone at end of the thumb?
    I sincerely hope your surgery goes well and I guess all you can do is prepare as much as you can pre surgery, have you got friends who may be able to help a bit at home if you need them for small amounts of time?

Elainexx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Marie
    What a shock that must have been. When I first saw the orthopaedic surgeon he sent me for an x ray and said you need both hips replaced!!!!!!
    What a shock that was so I understand
    Have you got people to help you.....I'm sure you'll get help post op if you are on your own

Love
    Hileena
  • villier
    Options
    Sorry to hear this Villier, but if it helps in the long run, it will be worth it.
    One handed living is quite challenging! Is it your dominant hand needing the op?
    You probably remember I had a wrist fusion last year, if I can help at all with tips on coping with one hand, let me know.
    Take care,
    Numpty

Thank you Numpty, I do remember your wrist goodness it only seems a few months hope your getting on ok. You might be sorry you have offered advice :lol: seriously that would be great I think the waiting list is three months which is a wee bit away so I have a plenty of time to get organised............Marie x
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Options
    Oh dear, Marie! That must have come as a shock. However, I have no doubt that you will cope although it will be mightily difficult. Will an OT advise, post op?

It was a shock Sticky I new it would come to that eventually but didn't think it was going to be so soon. There was no mention of an OT post op so it will be guddle along me time as I said I am a stubborn old mare :lol: thanks for your reply xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Options
    DebbieT wrote:
    Oh blimey, it's no surprise ure BP was up if you expecting an injection then to be told operation go n have ure pre op assessment :shock:

Hopefully all will go well & ul make a rapid recovery.

((((( )))))
    Xx xX

Thanks for your reply Debbie the waiting list is about three months so I have got plenty of time to get organised and I am sure I will get plenty of good advice from all you lot on here. Hope you are feeling a wee bit better now..............Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Ye gods. That must have come as a complete shock, no wonder your BP was sky-high - mine has just shot up thinking about it.

You are facing challenges, there's no doubt about that, but I do not doubt for one moment that you can overcome them. You are a strong, determined woman, you prove that time and time again. DD

Thanks DD it was a shock I didn't think she was going to suggest it as quickly as this, I knew it would get done at some time. I am sure the challenges I face I will get plenty of advice from all you lovely people on here, it will be a few months away so plenty of time for this stubborn old mare to get organised xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Options
    mig wrote:
    Sending hugs,will be there when needed. Mig

Awe thank you mig I really appreciate that it wont be for a few months yet...............Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Oh Marie it must have been a shock...any mention of surgery shocks me but when you are not expecting it..I am sure you will cope..but I will get the bus ready them we can all be on standby..not sure if you know but when you are on your own and have surgery you should be able to get a couple of weeks help for free... ((()))xx

Thank you Barbara, I didn't know that, would it be my council I would approach or my GP? it's not as if its a massive op not like a lot of you guys have had but it will be a bit debilitating with just the one hand in operation anyway I will get there xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Options
    Marie

Oh heck why do they call it that, sounds very fancy for a procedure to take out the small bone at end of the thumb?
    I sincerely hope your surgery goes well and I guess all you can do is prepare as much as you can pre surgery, have you got friends who may be able to help a bit at home if you need them for small amounts of time?

Elainexx

Thanks Elaine, yes, it is a bit of a fancy name for removing a bone. I am quite an organised person so I will be well prepared before hand I have one particular friend, like me she is on her own and I am sure she will be able to do some errands although she works so I don't want to take up a lot of her time, I will manage, I am stubborn so will guddle through xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Marie
    What a shock that must have been. When I first saw the orthopaedic surgeon he sent me for an x ray and said you need both hips replaced!!!!!!
    What a shock that was so I understand
    Have you got people to help you.....I'm sure you'll get help post op if you are on your own

Love
    Hileena

Thanks Hileena I knew it was on the agenda but didn't think it was going to be this quick, I will look into see if I am eligible for help if not I am sure I will manage one way or the other, the operation itself I am not phased about it's nothing to what some of you guys have gone through I will get there in the end............Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Options
    Sorry Numpty I didn't answer your question it is not my dominant hand that's getting done thank goodness at least that's something xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi Villier,
    I am 6 weeks post op after my Trapeziectomy. All is good so far. I had day surgery and a regional block so was home the same day. The first night I put the back of a chair against the side of the bed with a pillow against it to keep my arm elevated. That worked quite well as it is difficult to keep it elevated unless in a sling on a drip stand! Mine is my dominant hand so it has been very tricky at times but there are a few things I would definitely recommend....a limbo arm protector for the bath and shower, non slip matting for meal times, slip on shoes and track suit bottoms or similar. I had the large dressing on for a week and a half. I saw the physio first who made a lovely pink splint to wear constantly. The dressing was taken off a couple of days later and any remaining undissolved stitches taken out and the wound checked. My hand was and still is very stiff although improving daily. Some tasks are very frustrating but it is amazing how inventive one can be when challenged. I bought some bio oil to massage the scar with and am very good with the physio exercises. I am hoping to be able to drive in another couple of weeks as have not recovered enough grip or strength yet. The operation was very necessary and I am glad I had it. The downside is that the it has made me realise how bad the other one is!! Hope all goes well and let us know how you get on :lol:
  • villier
    Options
    Thank you very much Michelle for the info that has been a great help knowing what to expect, it will be a bit easier for me as it is not my dominant hand. I had a finger fusion done last year so had at least some movement in my hand although still had to watch what I was doing. I believe it is a three months waiting list although the nurse asked if there was a cancellation could I make it :shock: I said not in December though as I don't want to be in a splint over xmas as I am going to my sisters and need to drive.

I am pleased that everything is going well for you and hopefully continue to do so, it must be good to have a bit less pain. Thanks again I appreciate you taking the time to reply...........tc.............Marie x
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Marie..hope you got some sleep...I heard about the help in hospital..and the nurses were saying it isn't advertised...but they got on to social services fora lady that lived on her own and didnt have any family nearby...suppose your gp could do this...wishing you well with it all xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    Options
    Thanks Barbara that's great, I see my GP soon so will ask him xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh wow, what a shock, Marie! Hope some of the shock has subsided. We'll be hanging out in your pocket when you need us. xx
  • villier
    Options
    Thank you Sophie I totally appreciate the support, this is nothing to what you guys have to put up with. Hope you are feeling 'human at the moment' Sophie........................Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am sorry that I haven't been about today - I am under the arthritis cosh at the moment which I know is a feeble excuse but it's the only reason I can offer. :oops:

There is at least one positive; it's not your dominant hand which surely has to be a good thing but I reckon you will be finding times you need to use it. :( Bl**dy typical, no? :roll: We will see you through this, hon, it's what we do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    Options
    Oh! DD behave yourself, you have enough to contend with at the moment, but I greatly appreciate yours and everyones support xx
    day is full of Smiles