Family Thinking

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 31. Oct 2013, 10:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi All

My brother and his girlfriend go on a cruise soon the transatlantic type - sorry but cruises just don't appeal to me one bit but heyho!...Anyhow as they will be away for over 3 weeks and her mum has dementia but lives in supported housing, they have asked my mum and dad to go and do the mother's shopping for her. Okay you might say but we live in Cumbria, the mother lives in Maryhill, Glasgow - see how my thinking is going?
Well thing is there is 3 sons all grown up and one calls in most days as his g/f lives in that part of Glasgow, the other is unemployed and lost his licence due to being over limit, other one works as a security guard...Now to my thinking even the one who is unemployed could get a train in and as where his granny lives there is an asda literally mins away that would make more sense to me....But no, its my mum and dad who themselves struggle with mobility too? I can see it unfolding too that the umemployed one will want his shopping done as my brother and his gf currently do this every weekend for him too, I also foresee the youngest asking mum and dad to take him into to see his gf...
I don't know how some people think sometimes, honestly...

Elainexx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This seems, on the surface, a very odd request. I don't understand why your Mum & Dad have been asked, Elaine, but, assuming they are compos mentis themselves, I guess it's up to them to decide whether or not they want to do this. If they don't, no-one could accuse them of being unreasonable given the distance.

As for speculation about how the other brothers might wish to take advantage of them - again your parents can say no. If you feel they are not up to making these decisions for themselves then I guess your only option is to tell your brother you feel he and his girlfriend should find someone else to do the shopping.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That's ludicrous Elaine, your parents are needing to politely tell them where to go and one of the sons WILL HAVE to do the shopping for her or the daughter pay for a home help too do it...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I can't believe they've asked your mum and dad to do this, Elaine. Maybe they believe that they won't refuse and the sons won't have to do anything. Perhaps they think that your parents are more reliable than their sons. How on earth are they going to be able to do the shopping? Drive into Glasgow every few days? Of course, it's got to be your mum and dad's decision, but I know what I would advise my own parents to do - especially considering your parents' problems with mobility.

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry but I would say I cant do this please ask one of the sons..would say please but that is me being polite..your mum and dad have enough on...
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Families hey! We have a similar thing with my in-law side of the family that makes my blood boil. It's so wrong to ask two elderly, bad mobility people to go and do extra shopping! One of the son's must surely be able to do the shopping and take it over or even do the shopping online and be over at their mothers the day it's delivered to visit her and sort the shopping. It's killing 2 birds with one stone!! They must feel it's wrong what they have asked.
    It's so wrong to ask older unstable parents, to be a taxi service or do your shopping! Don't they realise this? Doesn't it register in their brain there are other ways of getting to somewhere like public transport or that public transport takes you right outside of supermarkets these days. It's just being damn lazy! And the worst think that gets me super mad is when younger relatives ask their older parents/grand parents for money!!
  • elainebadknee
    Options

I know my mum and dad can refuse but the woman is quite fond of my dad especially think its cos she has no husband anymore and it reminds her of male company...I just can't see why one of the sons can't do it, makes more sense but then again the one who has just left school got taken there everyday there and back right until he left and it is a 20mile round trip!

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Marie

She has home helps but she refuses to do certain things for them, one being shower, just thought of that? I would not say yes if it were me.

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Meg

Think you have hit the nail on the head..I mean even though my dad grew up in Maryhill he himself has said he won;t be able to find the place where g/f's mum lives on his own....The boys are just heart lazy, sorry but they are, they could do so much more and havent...

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barbara

I would have said "oh can;t the boys get a train in"? Its just plain silly and mum and dad been up and down road enough recently.

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Bubba

That's exactly what should happen, online shopping and as youngest son has g/f in same area he could do the shopping for the duration....Its just something that beggars belief...But then again we were supposed to go on holiday with the lady who has dementia and none of us thought she was able to go, it eventually got too complicated but basically we would all have ended up babysitting her whilst my brother's g/f "got a break" as this happened on a family holiday before...
    Thanks for you post...I like your thinking on quite a lot of posts!

Elainexx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

I know my mum and dad can refuse but the woman is quite fond of my dad especially think its cos she has no husband anymore and it reminds her of male company.

That's still no reason for them not to refuse if they don't want to do it. I think with aged parents, as with children, we have to support their decisions whether or not we agree with them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    Options

Its more they are doing it cos my brother has asked and he seems to think of them both in the same way strangely as he keeps asking them to go on holidays with them and the mum, but last time they did that dad had to get up with her, make her breakfast, and stay with her till they got up around midday...

Elainexx
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I really don't understand why people can be so thoughtless, as you are so concerned (and rightly so) about what your parents are being asked to do, could you not put your five eggs in and ask why the shopping can't be done on line, your parents might be grateful to have someone standing up for them?
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Numpty

Its strange because when I try to bring up things regarding my brother's gf and her family its not taken but if other members of family who said they had to virtually babysit g/f's mother on one holiday, then its accepted a bit more....I do feel my brother's g/f plays on it a bit, yes her mum has dementia but she still lives in sheltered housing and its a strange relationship she and her mum have, there is no affection there, never has been and she is an only child....Plus I do feel her boys should and could do more, lots more but they don't...Its always "poor g/f" but she is off sick just now as had gall bladder removed 2 months ago, however she has been to 2 concerts and is going on a transatlantic cruise soon??

Elainexx
  • numptynora
    Options
    Whoopy doo, been to a concert and then on to a cruise, luck poor girl!!

I'm sure the cruise will recuperate her, she wont need to lift a finger, perhaps it will give her time to think about other people while she does nothing. If she goes through the Bay of Biscay the sea is usually rough there and at this time of year it's not forgiving...lol

sorry, couldn't help it
    Numps x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Numpty

She will have been to two concerts before the cruise...She is always ill but never ill enough to stop necking vodka, eat sensation crisps by the bucket load and she is the only person I know who peels mushrooms!!!??? Life's too short!

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Update

Sense has prevailed! My dad had a terrible attack of bursitis on tuesday night he had to eat his tea stood up then was nearly sick and had cold sweats, pain for over 2 hours, wouldn't let us call a doctor....Texted brother and his g/f....Now they have decided they don;t need my folks to help her mum, surprise, surprise the sons are pulling together...should have been first thought, better late than never!

Elainexx
  • numptynora
    Options
    It sounds as it it's resolved, I'm pleased, lets hope your parents aren't called on again to carry out a task that her own family can easily do themselves. :D
    Numps x