TKR 1 Year Review

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 24. Oct 2013, 11:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Well I had my TKR review this morning at Wrightington...Saw my man's registrar and he was happy with my knee, said I should not be kneeling, I explained I only dot it if cannot get to an item any other way. Said have lots of sensation back in joint too...Did however mention clicking and he exmained it, said if it didn't clear up to get back in touch and they would have to investigate (whatever that meant)...He then said I have great bend and they would see me in 2 years time. I explained selling house and may not be here, so he said come back in another year but if we sold before that time to get in touch with them and they would arrange to see me before i left england..

Elainexx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Blimey Elaine that has gone so quick..not sure if it has for you though...how good of him to see you before you go over the border...I still think back to when you first came on..and in that awful pain..so glad it has gone well for you xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barbara

A year has gone quick yes, funny to think this time last year i was absolutely sick with worry...I am not completely out of pain but its still a work in progress, right direction..

Elainexx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That has been a quick year Elaine I hadn't long joined the forum before you got it done. That's good you seem to be getting well looked after good they will see you anytime if you move, you cant say better than that................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    A very good result, Elaine. I'm pleased for you. It sounds as if you can stop worrying. Excellent.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Marie

It seems like you have been here longer on the forum...They are good accomodating me...

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options

Yes all went well, just see if clicking/crunching calms down..

Elainexx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Well that sounds like a very positive appointment.....great news

Love
    Hileena
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hileena

We have hiccups to iron out as Im still attending physio on a weekly basis but all in all good! But no kneeling, he looked quite stern!

Elainexx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I wonder why you're not allowed to kneel, and I was definitely told I could. I hate it when we get told contradictory things.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Helen

I think it depends on who you see cos some say kneel others say dont...I will have to at some points in my life so what the heck!

Elainexx
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Maybe it all depends on the type of implant, whether the kneecap has had a plastic "button" put behind it, and the general damage that was around the knee pre-TKR. Or maybe it just depends on the surgeon's experience of people damaging their implants and complaining about it, and they're just preventing any possible problems by saying "don't do it". If I was half my weight I'd probably persist in trying to kneel, but at the moment, the discomfort from putting pressure on the front of the knee and the fact that my weight would be fully on it, puts me off.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Chookgate

Well I'm no lightweight even though lost 4 stone but I don't think I put my weight fully on it, it's a very short thing to simply get an object that has gone where I can't get to normally...I am pretty sure my new knee has the button type as could see that on my x-ray...He said in case i cut my knee and got an infection but other arthroplasty practitioners have said kneel so it depends who you see I think...

Elainexx
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Chookgate and Elaine ,Now you have got me wondering if I got a button or not ? .DEFINATELY to scared to kneel it hurts and I worry something might go snap :? Marrianne :)
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Marianne

You can tell on xrays if you have the button, ask next time you see your consultant...If it don't feel comfortable for you to kneel listen to your body..

Elainexx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Well, my body says kneeling is fine for me. I have to kneel to clean out the cat litter trays every morning, though if I really had to I suppose I could do it from a chair. And I kneel quite a lot in yoga classes, and I was told yoga is fine. And gardening....how on earth do you pull up weeds without kneeling, and I was told gardening is OK too. I just treat my knees like....well, normal knees. The consultant told me to get on with life, so I do. I refuse to worry about them, and I'll just keep my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong.

Still, I do wish we didn't get such contradictory advice.

Marrianne, how are you, long time no 'see'?
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Helen

Well like you say life goes on and its not as simple as having the option not to do the tasks that need doing is it? We are given new joints for a reason and that's to get our lives back that's what we all try to do...

Elainexx
  • chookgate
    Options
    Just had my 1 year TKR review (well 11 months for one and 14 months for the other). They xrayed both knees and all is looking exactly as it should, apart from there is a little bit of bone where there shouldn't be any on the newest knee - this is a likely explanation for why I'm still getting a little pain on one side, and the knee doesn't bend quite as far as the other one. The pain is easy to ignore, and isn't constant, and the knee bends enough for day to day activities (including cycling), so if I still have problems with it, or if it's got worse I'm to go back in 6 months (or sooner if I feel it necessary).

It didn't occur to me at the time to ask him about kneeling, but I don't do it, and so far haven't needed to, I can crouch quite far, and have a flexible back, and a helpful husband!

There was no mention of a further review in 2 years like you've been offered Elaine, but the consultant did say, any issues, worries etc to give him a call (but then I'm private for my knees so every call would probably generate a bill! :lol: )

So all in all very positive! All I need to do now is use my new knees and newly strengthed muscles to get fit and active.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Chook

Oh heck so this bit of bone that is extra is it floating about or is it in situ? I'm guessing if its a floater then it would need taking out but if you say it isn't affecting you on a day-to-day basis then its nothing too major?
    It's funny you saying about private treatment and the comeback reviews, someone I know here who had hers done in a Ramsay unit had her review (i year) quite recent and she was just discharged, nothing more...Its similar to me really I call the arthroplasty practice if I have problems then they arrange an appointment...I noticed too on monday my consultant is now a professor and he wasn't this time last year, haven't seen him since my op and would love to do so, maybe before I move?

Elainexx
  • chookgate
    Options
    It wasn't a floater, it was hard to tell from a two dimensional x ray how much of a problem it might end up being, it is probably a bit of bone that should have been chipped off, but was missed, or has grown since. That knee did have an extra half hour of surgery whilst they chipped and trimmed bone. I'm sort of glad there is something there, and it's not just that I haven't exercised the 2nd knee properly or anything, but I also wish it wasn't there and the 2nd knee was as healed as the first. He said he'd make a 6 month appointment, and if the knee was okay I could just cancel it, but if it gets worse or something, at least I've already got an appointment! Part of me is keen on having surgery to remove it - but only because I'll get time off work to recover :wink:

He did say normally, he would just discharge me now as otherwise all is okay, but I have heard of other people (other hospitals) who get 5 and 10 year reviews just to keep an eye on the implants. I guess they're just relying on us taking ourselves to the doctor if we have a problem (seems reasonable)
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Chook

That's good if it isn't a floater but just an odd bit of bone that hasn;t been picked up on before. If I were you I wouldn;t want more surgery actually.
    The reviews seem sensible to me, generally they are quite thorough in their aftercare, there are the exception but of course that can happen anywhere..

Elainexx