Brand New

IslaVan
IslaVan Member Posts: 3
edited 22. Oct 2013, 13:39 in Say Hello Archive
Hi Everyone

I have been told by my GP that I "probably" have osteoarthritis. Blood tests being carried out later this week, I think to rule out rheumatoid arthritis, but also seem to be checking liver function? Is that likely?

Pain started in my finger joints, then knuckles and now I have wrist pain, occasional elbow pain and knee pain. It's all a bit :? at the moment. I am 46, married with two children, work and volunteer.

Looking forward to chatting with people and hopefully getting first hand information of living with OA.

Isla

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Isla. The good thing is that your GP is doing the right thing with the blood test. It will, indeed, be to test for RA. I'm not sure if a liver function test would be done too as it's years since I was diagnosed with RA.

There are lots on here with OA. Living With Arthritis is the forum where we talk about all things arthritic. Do feel free to join in on any thread or start one up if you have any questions or things you'd like to discuss :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I began my arthritic troubles aged 37, I am now 54 and have a creaky foot in both camps; I have an auto-immune type plus OA. It's not fun. You will find us an empathetic audience, your GP sounds to be the on the ball which is a good thing, but even if the bloods come back as 'negative' for RA that may not necessarily rule out an auto-immune type. They are many and varied, and sometimes very tricky to accurately diagnose. We will do our best to guide you through the next stages, OK? As Sticky said the Living with Arthritis board is where we discuss meds and treatments etc, you will find support on that part of the forum too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • IslaVan
    IslaVan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks both. Will be over on the living with arthritis page soon I am sure. Just trying to get my head round it!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That takes time. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Hi Isla,

Welcome to the forum. I have OA in both hips, was diagnosed earlier this year. I'm 42, married and have 2 teenage boys as well as working full time. I came to this site when I was diagnosed and the people on here are lovely and always ready to give advice :D

Sarah xx