Help/advice needed -- tooth aches in my fingers

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 22. Oct 2013, 14:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I need advice/help as I've had a really bad day today with a tooth ache like feeling in just about every joint in my left hand, especially the dip joints which also feel a little swollen. My right hand is aching, but nowhere near the same extent. My other arthritic joints are lingering in the background.

I have OA, and nothing I have done/taken has given me any relief for my left hand -- I'm on 30/500 cocos and ibuprofen. At one stage today I felt like I would've accepted a hand amputation just to be rid of the constant ache.

Is there anything anyone can suggest?

Could it be all this damp weather that's causing this flare up?

Cheers
Scozzie

Comments

• Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh how I know this feeling :( weather definitely plays a part!

For me, when it is severe I very carefully stretch my hand out and do a few light exercises. I put on my splint and wrap my hand in one of those microwave teddies (or frozen peas depending which I need).

I have co-co and 600mg ibuprofen and I try to keep it as still as possible, it can still take a good 30 - 60 mins to subdue but ultimately this does work for me most of the time!

I hope you find something that works for you!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Toothache in the joints is a very apt description of OA pain. Nothing will shift it because that is the nature of the beast. Hot wax treatments can aid relief, or just soaking your hands in warm water, gently flexing the fingers too. When watching telly etc just rest your hands on a hottie, that could help too. The weather won't help, I think it's to do with barometric pressure (I am always worse in low pressure weather) so it's case of grin and bear it. :( For what it's worth you have my sympathy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    I agree with the low pressure weather. Same here. But with my finger joints it's the other way 'round: cold helps a lot. Everything concerning the spine and pelvis needs warmth.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I'm sorry scozzie. I have sympathy but no words of wisdom. I wish I had. It must be hard for you at work.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello scozzie
    I have OA in my thumb joints and a couple of fingers...I get something very much like toothache pain in then, I have just had my third lot of injections done under xray and they work a treat...so if they get to bad this is an option ,
    Love
    Barbara
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Thanks for the sympathy all, my hands were better today, which was a relief.

When it's cold weather I have a pair of fingerless lycra gloves with cover my finger joints just nicely, which help ... unfortunately yesterday they didn't help at all.

Oh well, such is life.

Scozzie
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    You have my empathy too, scozzie. My aching is made worse by typing and just about anything where I use my hands. Keep them very warm and take frequent breaks, if you can.

xxAnna