Is this what I should expect?

Options
elsa
elsa Member Posts: 6
edited 22. Oct 2013, 14:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to the hospital to see the consultant today for the first time. He thinks I have some form of rheumatic arthritis, but probably not rheumatoid arthritis, but he doesn't know which other sort, and is testing for everything. Diagnosis is complicated by me having psoriasis, but I don't have bad fingernails or any swelling. It is further complicated because I have some hypermobility which he said can make you prone to having early arthritis along with other problems. He suggested I may have 25 year old reactive arthritis, which may have morphed into osteoarthritis.
My main pain is the entire hip/bottom area. I really struggle to stay standing for more than a few minutes (job involves a lot of standing). Today I have had lots more tests, blood tests, x-rays, a referral to physiotherapy and they will have me back in 6 weeks. The suggestion was it may be ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritits, reactive arthritis, other rheumatic arthritis, but unlikely rheumatoid arthritis or even hypermobility syndrome? He is even checking for gout even though I am a peri-menopausal female.
How long will this take? Is this honestly likely to have any positive result? (my psoriasis and hypermobility are both real but were diagnosed by a pharmacist and google respectively) The Dr thinks that the stiffness and pain in my hands is entirely separate early osteoarthritis, poss. partly due to hypermobility (?) but again he is not certain. How likely is it to have 2 different types of arthritis with separate causes? In the meantime, the Dr suggested exercise. I've been given slow release Tramadol which he said won't entirely deal with the pain but should make it tolerable. In the meantime, I struggle to stand, have permanent pain in the hip area, have stiffness, pain and weakness in the hands.
Sorry that's a really long whiny post but my Dr said I should have had this, that and the other done already so I wonder what I have missed?

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,Welcome to Arthritis Care! I'm so sorry your suffering, you've come to the right place for advice and support. There are many members with a whole range of different arthritis, so your not alone. Waiting to know results is a frustrating time we can all agree with that. So I hope the wait isn't too long and you can be diagnosed and get the best pain relief meds to help you.
  • elsa
    Options
    :) Thanks bubbadog.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have two sorts of arthritis, I began in '97 with a left knee that kept swelling, seven years on I was diagnosed with 'an inflammatory arthritis' then the label was changed five years after that when my skin helpfully obliged with a bout of psoriasis on my soles and palms. My fingernails are OK, my toenails fall off every now and again but grow back, but I didn't begin it in the traditional way. Back in '97 my then GP did not recognise my problem as a form of arthritis, that's why it took so long for me to find out what was going on. Your GP has recognised things and this is good.

Now several years on I have O and Fibro but I wasn't thinking about developing them. None of us know what to expect, just take each day as it comes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello Elsa and welcome from me too. How long will all the tests etc take? How long is a piece of string? I guess it all depends on your local hospital and the rate at which they deal with these things. Things are happening for you and that is good.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'a positive result'. A definitive 'you have this type of arthritis here and that type there'? Well, yes, probably. The treatment for the auto-immune types of arthritis is broadly the same but it is still better to know if you can, especially if your back is involved. The rheumatologist will prescribe the meds for your auto-immune arthritis and leave your GP to deal with the OA.

I think you're unfortunate to have two different forms of arthritis with two different causes but it does happen. My own OA is a result of there being no proper meds around to treat my RA when I was young but there are one or two who have got OA and, only later, developed an auto-immune arthritis.

Exercise will certainly help as it keeps the muscles strong so that they can better support the joints thus leading to less pain. It's important to do the right sort of exercise though. Ask to be referred to a physiotherapist and also read Arthritis Care's booklet on Healthy Living which details some exercises. (Publications & Resources, top of the page)

No, pain relief doesn't exactly kill pain which is why many of us refer to them as paindullers not painkillers. They will distance you from the pain to some extent and that does help from time to time. Anything which distracts you from the pain is also good. Concentrating on it only makes it worse :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Elsa I dont think I have ever been properly diagnosed...I did see a rheumy once but he was in an hurry...you do seem to have a good team around you doing all the right test..so fingers crossed it wont be long....please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elsa
    Options
    Thanks to all for your replies. I suppose I am anxious not to make any more mistakes. I told a doctor about my hip pain when I was about 26 and nothing happened. I have put up with it getting worse and increasingly worse, thinking it was just ageing/menopause/being overweight and unfit, but then I realised other overweight women in their 40s are not hanging onto furniture just to stay standing. I think I may have missed the boat for preventing damage! A positive result would be knowing what it is, preventing any more damage and being able to go hiking again. I really miss walking.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    One step at a time, Elsa. You are getting there. Maybe not as quickly as you'd like but it will happen. Please keep us informed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright