Need your help with RITUXIMAB??

Options
allyolphert
allyolphert Member Posts: 3
edited 24. Oct 2013, 14:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been asked to start Rituximab infusion for my RA i am currently on Enbrel & methotrexate but have been told it has stopped working. I have looked up some information online & the side effects can be extreme. Has anyone had any experience being on Rituximab? Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Not me but I'm pretty sure others have as it does come up from time to time. Good luck with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm no great fan of enbrel because it tried to explode my liver. I felt fine, it carried out a covert operation and if it wasn't for the monitoring I wouldn't have known a thing about it until my liver failed. All our meds have nasty side efffects but the listing of them does not mean that they will occur. From being on enbrel and meth you will be familiar with the monitoring that goes on and the same might apply with the rituximab (although that works in a very different way). It's not one I've tried (I've had infliximab, enbrel and currently take humira and injected meth) but I reckon they're all as risky as each other. If you have had some success with the enbrel and meth then surely it would be good to replicate that - or even better it. I wish you well, I hope it helps but you do not have to take it - we have that choice. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    hello not had it but I want to say good look to you :)
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    As has been said above, all the meds we take come with the same types of risks.

I was on this drug a few years back, sadly didn't work for me. The only side effects that I got from the drug were extreme tiredness for a few days after the infusion and a slight headache, but seems the dose is every 6 months it's well worth a shot.
  • allyolphert
    allyolphert Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for the replys :)
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Have you phoned the National Rheumatoid Arthritis (NRAS) helpline? They are very knowledgeable about specific drugs and hopefully will be able answer your questions.
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi

I have been on Rituximab, sadly it didn't work for me - but I didn't have any 'bad' side effects at all. The only thing I had was bad sweat during the night, I woke up literally soaking wet PJ's the lot. But nothing serious.

Some folk at my Rheumy clinic are on it and it works well for them, if I remember correctly, it is the one that is given IV all day but you don't have to have it as often?

hope this helps some!
    Charleeh