Ring pull opener

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
edited 27. Oct 2013, 09:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
My question is not so much do you have one and find it useful but rather how do you get on with it for a very shallow sardine tin?

With normal sized cans I've always managed perfectly well using careful manipulation of a desert spoon as both initial opener and then lever but I find there is so little can to hang on to with these sardine things that all I achieve is to open it sufficiently to enable the oil to drip out. Any chance of my now hanging on to the tin is rendered impossible and I simply end up wearing essence of sardine oil and eating a tuna mayo sandwich instead :roll:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There is nothing more delightful than the essence of sardine. :wink: I have been thinking about this since I spotted your post and I cannot find a solution. :oops: Not wishing to sound too fishy but is it worth a trawl through the tips and hints thread? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I find ring pulls difficult even with my gadget, my solution is to use my electric can opener. It makes light work of even the most troublesome cans. :wink:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thank you, ladies.

DD - I shall trawl. You are right. I should have thought of that. Maybe the smell was addling what passes for my brain :wink:

Numpty - I have one - actually an old, rather dodgy one. Do they work on rectangular-shaped cans?
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Dont eat sardines so don't know, but I reckon your electric one will work if you help guide it round the corners(I hope) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I can only imagine that at least one can absorb some omega 3's through the skin after the spray of managing to lift the ring with a spoon and pull the lid a small amount. That is, if the ring doesn't just pull off the can first.

I agree with Numpty, running them through the electric can opener works (for square cans too :wink: ) if you do not have an OH handy to take the spray for you :D .

PS you must monitor the e. can opener going around the square corners as it sometimes will slip off, adding to your foul mood and odor.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    My electric can opener has no problem at all with rectangular cans. It's a Ken would :wink:
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I have a fancy electric one and I reckon it'd cope with corners. Sorry about your sardine oil related disappointment. Before I had my electric tin opener, I remember throwing a tin of baked beans against the wall in a desperate attempt for eggs, chips and beans. I ended up with eggs and chips! :D

I also had a toddler style tantrum yesterday because I couldn't open a jar of pickled onions even with my jar opener thingy. :oops:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thank you one and all. I shall talk nicely to my electric can opener. I simply hadn't thought of it :oops:

Starburst - did you chuck the egg and chips at the wall, too? Do you have a halogen wall? :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    It is all so very sad! Especially for the sardines....First they get killed, than canned, mistreated by a electrical can opener- only to end sadly, crushed and oily at a wall somewhere in Chichester or Shoreham by Sea.
    Requiem for ....
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Chichester :o Shoreham-by-Sea :shock: Wash your mouth out, Caliban. The will end on a good old Yorkshire wall. No shame there :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    My OH loves sardines on toast so he has it at least once a month! And he usually asks me to mash the sardines! And my OH has fun opening the can for me and the tomato sauce ends up on the splash back and all over his sweater! And the smell!!! 'Au de sardine' it would make an interesting perfume/ after shave!! Someone does need to invent a way of getting in those cans easier and without tomato sauce splash back!!
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    I use an electric can opener on them pesky tinswhen I open one for my darling cat, it is an effort but it does manage it. Just a thought, Sticky have yu got one of those plasticy oven mitts, or even some of that non-stick matting, I think maybe that would help grip the tin - may beworth trying. The smell lasts all day whatever you do.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good thinking lululu. I don't eat a lot of sardines - probably about once per week - but next time I shall definitely go for my electric can opener plus the added 'traction' of something over the holding hand. I shall report back :D

It would probably help, bubbadog, if I liked the ones in tomato sauce but I don't. It's - if you'll pardon the pun - oil or nothing for me :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    May I humbly suggest TNT or semtex? No effort at all AND the ceiling gets it's share as well!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    An excellent example of lateral thinking, Caliban.

Just a teensy weensy quibble - I was rather hoping to eat the contents of the tin and I'm rubbish at scaling ladders to scrape it off the ceiling.
    Steven Wright
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Hey stickywicket x Just a thought - but do you have any oriental supermarkets around? They are more likely to offer 'normal' cans of sardines (think bean tins) or even jars, which would make your life a little easier! x
    Toots x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    With a bit of luck the ceiling will come down to you. Can't you buy the poor little Xxxx loose on your market? I could send you a couple of kilo's in a bucket ! (Yorkshire IS member of the EC, is it not?)

[Edited for use of swearing. House Rule 1. Mod B]
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I enjoy your take on the world, Caliban, what an original thought. I went on a school cruise (aged 11) to various places including a canning factory in Portugal. I remember viewing great vats of grey water, I didn't eat tinned fish of any sort for a few years after that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You see ! Trick is they are not in cans on the market. So no opener required. I lived in portugal once. And the stench of bacalhau seems to stay forever in my nose. Yep - I know why I always have been vegetarian. No dead fishes on walls or elsewhere.