possible nerve pain ? help please

Options
annedw
annedw Member Posts: 15
edited 29. Oct 2013, 14:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I had a left total hip replacement a year ago. I am still having problems with my left leg . After the op my knee gave way a couple of times in hospital and a few times at home .
Also I got pains like electric shocks in my thigh and knee ,these have more or less stopped ,but I have been left with a numb feeling in my leg down to my ankle and if I touch or catch my leg its like sharp needle pain .I can touch my thigh in one place and it can be felt some were else .
I spoke to one of the lovely ladies on here this morning and she suggested I put it on here to see if any of you have had similar problems .
so any advice would be great thanks A x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had a THR nearly 4months ago now...I have had the electric shock you speak about, but that has gone now...has for the foot did you by any chance have an epidural...I am having a pain from my knee down to the ankle...must stress only when I try and move my leg out to the side, my physio has said it could be nerve damage from the epidural..I already have OA in my spine so I thought it might be that..she says it could be both... :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I can only offer a (((((hug)))))

I'm sure more members will comment wen they see ure thread.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • barbara12
    Options
    Just thought I would check to see how you are feeling today..or is this a silly question..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • annedw
    Options
    Thank you for your replies Barbara and Debbie its nice to know there's other people that understand .I am going back to see my GP next week to try and get some answers .
    they want me to have my right hip replaced but i've put it off because I don't think my left leg is strong enough to cope, hope to get some more replies soon .Ann x
  • annedw
    Options
    Hi Barbara thanks for asking I feel a bit better today not pain wise but I don't feel so alone, if that doesn't sound silly. I have a wonderful family and husband but its hard for people that don't have the pain to understand how it makes you feel. Thanks again Ann x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You will always find a receptive audience on here, we all understanfd about living with constant pain and disruption, it's challenging to say the least! I have a numb patch on the front of my right hip, OA moved in in January and this bit has been numb ever since. It doesn't cause me any bother though, so I'll leave well alone for the time being! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    Options
    annedw wrote:
    Hi Barbara thanks for asking I feel a bit better today not pain wise but I don't feel so alone, if that doesn't sound silly. I have a wonderful family and husband but its hard for people that don't have the pain to understand how it makes you feel. Thanks again Ann x
    You are not alone...and yes I do understand the feeling..it might be quiet just now on here...but there is usually someone about...think peeps might be hibernating..wouldn't that be nice..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    annedw wrote:
    Thank you for your replies Barbara and Debbie its nice to know there's other people that understand .I am going back to see my GP next week to try and get some answers .
    they want me to have my right hip replaced but i've put it off because I don't think my left leg is strong enough to cope, hope to get some more replies soon .Ann x

I think the GP is a good plan. Maybe the orthopaedic surgeon would be best placed to know whether or not the other THR should go ahead or not.

I glad things are a little better.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • annedw
    Options
    Hi I have seen the surgeon a couple of weeks ago .He didn't even look at my leg just said it will probably go away and said when I am ready to have my right hip done to let him know .Maybe I should have been more assertive but its difficult when they don't seem to listen thank you again for all your replies Ann x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    A certain amount of numbness is common after an op where the nerve endings have been cut. After my first TKRs I had it down one side of the scar for some years but I only noticed it when I actually touched it and, gradually, the nerves seemed to reattach themselves and all became normal again. As for my THRs – I've no idea as I can't reach back there :lol:

I can see it will feel odd and I think it'll be good to talk to your GP. Maybe more physio would help though I'd have thought the routine pre and post-op quads would be enough. Do you still do them?
    Steven Wright
  • annedw
    Options
    Hi I don't have numbness on my scar and can live with the nerve pain if that's what it is. Its not knowing whats caused it, and if it will go away with time or its just one more thing to live with.
    My main concern is if my left leg will take the strain, when and if I have my right THR .
    I am seeing my GP tomorrow but am already wondering if its worth it .I just feel maybe I should just get on with it and that this is my life .Will let you know what GP says if I get there lol Ann x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Please 'get there' :) GPs can be excellent at sorting out what it a 'real' worry that needs investigation and what is, indeed, just something we have to put up with as it's of no major concern. Even if your numbness is nothing to worry about as such there is still the concern over whether or not that leg will support another, operated, one. I think these are perfectly reasonable questions. Please let us know the verdict.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    Options
    sorry forgot to say that I have to have my other hip replaced, and they have sent me for physio because my new one isn't strong enough yet..maybe you could ask for physio.. sorry if I have missed that you already have physio..my brain is mush at the min :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • annedw
    Options
    Hi just been to see my GP he was very nice and did listen. He said to try and put more weight on the leg that has the replacement hip.
    If I find it will not hold the weight, then to go back in a few weeks and he will send me back to see my surgeon.
    I am going to give it ago and hopefully it will help, thank you for all your support Ann xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Take it gently, it maybe an idea to use a stick to help you make that transfer, yes? Use the stick on the same side of the hip you are trying to put more weight upon because that will give you some confidence; using it on the opposite side will only encourage the 'naughtiness'. :wink: Use it every alternate stride or so and hopefully you will soon feel more confident about putting more weight on it. Sometimes our 'bad' habits are not that easy to correct. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well done for getting there, Ann. I know you were wavering.

That sounds like a good plan. Also a Plan B if it doesn't work. Even better :) Please keep us updated.
    Steven Wright