Jobseeker Appointment

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 26. Oct 2013, 12:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Well I had my appointment as a jobseeker first of all today and they changed the time from 1.30 to 1.00pm with no explanation...
I gets there and woman says to me as she can see I'm wincing in pain, "are you okay" I told her had been at physio that morning...She said "oh it hurts after you go doesn't it, I used to go for my back and it hurt like hell"...So sits down thinking maybe she knows not in best of condition physically....She asked me had I appealed against being fit for work, told her had been to tribunal...Then she asks me how many hours a week can I do...I said to her I honestly didn't know and she looks at me waiting for an answer impatiently, I eventually said about 16-20 hours a week, she says that's not enough but doesn't say what is enough, I ask her what the criteria is she eventually concedes and tells me as I have a health condiiton 25hours would be acceptable - why not tell me that from beginning? Then all this about 2 hours a day online looking for work then 25 actions a week...Well I can see me being on nil money as I can't see all the jobs she sees me applying for...I told her I need help with my cv being updated and had received no help from advisor at JC who is to work with people with health issues, she blamed me for a shaw trust person cancelling mock interview session , as i could have re-arranged?!!!
I don't think this is going to be a happy union, they see me as fit as a fiddle...Also my signing time/day thursday I thought it may be and always attend physio in the morning so thought could work it - tells me to attend at 09.25 thursdays, I said couldn't as need to keep up physio, she ums and ahs and then finally concedes after offering 11.05, um no I'm there at 10 for over an hour??
Already I feel boxed in, cast aside and dumped into jobseeker's by ATOS/DWP

Elainexx

Comments

• chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I really don't understand how there are all these benefit cheats that get reported, when genuine claimants don't seem to be able to get any help at all. JC staff don't seem to really care anything about the people they see, and maybe they don't have the training they need to be able to do their job properly. As an example, my daughter finished her university course, waiting for her results to qualify as a doctor of neuroscience, unable to find any immediate interim work due to the university having no funding, and unable to apply for any fellowships until she actually has her Phd, she was out of work for exactly one week when she had her appointment at the job centre. The said "We don't have any research jobs, perhaps you should do bar work" when she said she'd been there done that, and didn't want to do it again, they said "well then go across the street to the training centre and ask about re-training so you can do something else" For crying out loud, can't they give her a chance to find a job before they tell her to throw away the last 4 years worth of expensive study (paid for by the Wellcome Trust). She left in tears (oh and she's not entitled to ANY benefit of any sort, but at least, unlike us she's fit and healthy).

But I digress, good luck Elaine, hope you get sorted soon.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Chook

Because the ones who know how to work the system like a well oiled engine will continue doing so, they are streetwise and the government aren't they just penalise the weaker ones.
    Plus today when i said I was moving and would be looking for work up north too thought that would be a plus point but she shook her head and said "you have to concentrate on jobs here, not just in scotland you do know that don;t you".....Shows how they jump down someone's throat right away, judged wrongly...
    Half the JC personnel at my one have been there over a decade an have got scruffier and scruffier as time has gone on, but they have their pensions, etc they don't care..

Elainexx
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

I'm so sorry to hear about your horrendous experience with the Jobseekers office today I really feel for you. Unbelievable!! :roll:

What help do you need with your CV? Is it help with specific health issues?

Trish xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Trish

The help I need with my Cv is making it seem attractive despite not working for 3 years due to ill health...Had i had children it would be a different matter altogether...I need confidenc buidling too as been out of workplace for while...

Elainexx
  • purpleowl
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

my hubby has offered to have a look at it for you, he is brilliant with CV s. Do you have it in word? Let me know If you are interested and I will send you his email address

Trish xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Elaine that is a bad start ..she sounds like the one in the sitcom on TV...dont ask me the name mt brain isn't functioning..think they might be hand picked for the job because of there lovely nature...suppose you have no choice but go along with it .. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That is a shame Elaine you sound as though you got an absolute Rottweiler. I have to admit the last girl I spoke to in my JC couldn't have been any kinder she actually sent me out some information for me to read, if I was you I would apply for any jobs knowing you haven't got a chance at least it will keep them off your back, that's what I done when I was on JA.....................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Trish

That's really very sweet of you. the jobcentre are supposed to help me so see if that materialises? Say thanks to your hubby for offeirng..

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barbara

Im just a piece of meat moved from one production line to another, my "health conditon" hasn't really been taken into account...

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Marie

She reminded me of ATOS personnel first time round, pretending to sympthaise re physio then boxing me into 25hours, who knows if I can do thet, why don't they understand and explain things....I will apply for some have no chance of getting but the 25 actions a week is worryng me...

Elainexx
  • purpleowl
    Options
    Will do Elaine but don't be afraid to ask if you need help with it!

I could lend you some boxing gloves, if you have good strength in you arms that is!! :lol:

Trish xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Trish

Thanks!

Elainexx
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    I wish you the very best with this Elaine. My first-time-in-my-life JA experience after being made redundant a couple of years back was an eye-opener.

On my second visit there, having completed my job search sheet etc, I got a dressing-down for, wait for it ...... DOING TOO MUCH! Seriously?? I sat there and said to her, I'm out of work and have no way of paying my bills, how can you possibly suggest I'm doing too much to find work????? :x
    Toots x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Toots

Replied to you before but it disappeared!
    Okay got on phone becuase was having all sorts of problems registering on government website, needed another email address as it said it alredy had my current one!? Phoned local JC and woman there was nicer she asked about my CV and i know its under par, but the person I saw on thursday should have made an appointment with college person to revamp it, she didn't....I have an appointment to see someone "nicer" at JC as voiced concerns about me wlaking about town handing out CV's I simply can't walk for like even 45 mins!? I don;t have much faith in them so far..

Elainexx