New and very frightened

MizzyDeee
MizzyDeee Member Posts: 9
edited 7. Nov 2013, 05:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey All.
So, since the age of 15, i have suffered terrible panic attacks, which stop me from doing a lot of things and leaving me with phobias. One is getting my bloods taken. So 6 year ago i started getting pain in my fingers and toes, i took myself to the docs and they asked to take a blood test. Stupidly i never went back for 6 years to get them done. However, now I am waking up in the morning in so much pain, i never feel great and I'm always so tired. My partner told me enough was enough and an appointment was made. Yesterday i was left frightened when my GP told me it was Inflammatory Arthritis but i'd need the blood tests and X-rays on my sore, swollen hands to confirm it. I have made an appointment next week for bloods and my X-rays were done there and then. I feel scared and i guess I'm just looking for reassurance that everything is going to be ok. The part that scares me the most is the whole Immune System attacking my body and what medication i will get to help this. Please can anyone talk me through what is happening to me..
Thank you
Stacey

PS i popped this in the 'say hello' part, and was advised to put it here. I'm very new to this so any advice is welcome.

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi and Welcome

I can't offer any specific advice but all I can say is you are on the right road for the correct diagnosis which should in turn lead you to pain relief/treatment for yourself..We all get frightened so can understand your running away from it...

Very best of luck

Elainexx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello again, I just answered you on Say Hello! I have psoriatic arthritis, OA and fibromyalgia, I take a triple a therapy of immuno-suppressants for the PsA, plus an anti-inflammatory med and pain dullers for the OA but I am further down the arthritis road than you. The most likely starting med (if it's proved you have an auto-immune arthritis) is likely to be methotrexate, I am on the injected version and have very little trouble with it. I wish you well - life will change but life is always in a state of flux. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    I also know nothing about Inflammatory Arthritis, but I can reassure you about the blood tests. I have annual blood tests (plus ad hoc others) to check my thyroid, and it has definitely got easier over the years. Tell the nurse (or tech) that you don't like getting blood taken (they're used to it). They are very gentle, you'll feel nothing more than a slight prick - it doesn't hurt at all. Don't look whilst they do it - just turn your head away, and it will be over before you know it. You'll get a little bit of cotton wool stuck down with some micropore tape over the site of the jab, and you can take this off after about half an hour.
  • MizzyDeee
    I am very grateful for your replies and I'm sorry that you are both here too.
    Do you inject it everyday dreamdaisy? I'm so nervous, i worry even when i have nothing to worry about, so you can imagine the state I'm in.
    I've had myself convinced that as long as i stay away from doctors etc, i won't hear anything i don't want to. But the pain has become serious and now I'm pleased i made an appointment.
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi , you need the blood test to check for rheumatiod arthritis & your inflammatory markers .

just wonder if hypnosis would help you having the blood test , alot of us dont like having it done , just get used to it , you need to test & drugs to stop the joint damage so try to be brave
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello and a warm welcome to the forum
    Of course you are scared,think most people on here have gone through that, at least now you are doing something about it..it may be inflammatory it might not..so one day at a time..you now have us lot to talk to and get out your worry's...please let us know what the results are then we can take it from there x
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hello again Stacey, glad to see you posting on LWA I am sure there will be a few more on soon to tell you how painless getting blood taken is, I get mine done every three weeks before the treatment I get, I never give it a thought. I will give you a wee tip, drink plenty of water the day before it helps pump the veins up and makes it easier for them Nice to see you posting hope too see you around................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hello and welcome;

The blood test will be over quick and you really need this to see what's going on with your inflammation and diagnosing your condition.

You know you can ask to lie down for the blood draw. This can help you relax. Talk to the technician too.

If your anxiety is really severe, let your doctor know how anxious you are. They may recommend a single dose of an anti-anxiety med before your blood test. After several times of doing this before blood-draws, the fear part may lessen and you will be fine without the med.

Best wishes,
    Anna
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hello & welcome Stacey,

I'm sorry uve been diagnosed with arthritis :(

I have an autoimmune one (Rheumatoid Arthritis, RA, is also autoimmune) called Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA), Osteoarthritis (OA), Fibromyalgia & Severe chronic unstable plaque & pustular psoriasis. (None of it is as bad as it sounds ;))

Anna is so right about laying down, my hubby is hopeless with needles & faints at the sight of blood so they can definitely do it!! :)
    I'd start practising some relaxation/breathing techniques to help keep you as calm as possible. The very worst part of a blood test is the needle breaking the skin, the rest is completely painless, but that only gets felt, if you feel it at all, for a split second!! Over the past few years I've had to have my bloods done monthly & for a long time weekly, I'm on weekly at the moment as I started a new med 2 weeks ago.

Medication wise, I think the autoimmune types are pretty much treated with the same types of meds, they tend to vary more if you have other health issues. I would imagine ud also be started on an anti inflammatory & probably painkillers too. The last two work in combination to lessen your pain but I'm not sure if anyone with arthritis is ever 'pain free'!!

I was put straight on Methotrexate (mtx) & Sulfasalazine (sulf). Mtx is a DMARD (Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drug). Mtx does dampen ure immune system a bit so ud wana avoid people with chicken pox & shingles, I don't know why it's those 2 especially. Also make sure you get the flu jab every year & the pneumonia one but thats generally only given once. All illnesses are best avoided but I'd think well people think that too ;) I'd suggest buying some antibacterial hand gel/wipes in the winter but you honestly don't wana get paranoid about it in my opinion.

Autoimmune arthritises tend to cause quite a bit of fatigue. It's deep in your bones weary tiredness.

I really do hope you can combat your fear of blood tests, they honestly don't hurt, well they don't hurt me. I can't stress to you how important these will become if you need a DMARD for instance.

I think I've waffled on enough, my apologies.

((((hugs))))
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Hello there and welcome. Eek blood tests ! Not a huge fan but you actually get used to them and it is not so bad. lying down works for me. fear of blood etc is pretty common.Have you had any kind of therapy for your anxiety etc? Try not to be too scared there's lots of good advice on here X
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I understand the 'I am ignoring it so it will go away' stance but, oddly enough, it doesn't and ergo it won't. :(

I inject the meth weekly and the humira fortnightly. I began on tablet meth but it didn't help then, after a very long break, I began the injected version which initially was done at the hospital, a very time-consuming performance (not their time, merely mine). For many the tablet version is enough to help and that is a good thing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi there, so sorry you've had to find us :( .

I just want to encourage you to pluck up the courage to get your bloods done so that the diagnosis can be sorted and your medication started- you will feel so much better I'm sure when you know what you're facing and fear of the unknown can be over whelming.

My lovely hubby was completely phobic about needles until his heart attack 15 years ago, when 10 days in hospital with daily blood tests and endless injections sorted his problem!!!!! But seriously, I just want to encourage you that needles are something you can get used to. In my experience the blood test is just momentarily sharp, and to make sure all is well it's worth it.

Deb xx
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Hi - just to re-iterate what everyone else has been saying - blood tests are just the way we find out what's going on better and if you can try and think of something lovely - or chat to the person taking it about something lovely then hopefully you will hardly even notice it. I came out of seeing my GP the other day and couldn't remember if he had even taken blood or not - had to check my arm for the plaster! It all seems so frightening for a while and then you just settle down and things become the new normal - and when the drugs do work it's amazing! Matx
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Hi Stacey, sorry you've had to find this forum, but you'll find everyone is lovely and helpful.

I've never had any problems having blood taken, but quite recently took a bit of an odd turn when at a routine blood check. The nurse now insists I lie down when having my blood taken, and I do think that would be good for you too. Please remember, the nurses who do your bloods have had every type of person possible through their doors, and they won't bat an eyelid if you're phobic. Tell them up front how you feel and they will surely do their best to put you at ease. It's a little scary right now, but it will get better once you know what to expect. Hugs x
    Toots x
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    hi mizzyDeee
    I didnt realy know my doctor for the first 50 years.
    then arthritis came along. I also wasnt keen on needles but we need them to look after us,i like dd inject met and soon TNFs.
    I prefer to sit down and have them and i just talk to nurse and before u know it its finnished. i have um every 2 to 5 weeks.
    you do get used to um and soon it wont bother u at all.
    good luck mike26 :roll: age 61 :o
  • MizzyDeee
    Hey All,
    Thank you so much for you replies. Since my post, I have had my blood taken (I didn't faint, although my panic attacks were horrendous), and finally results came back. I called the surgery today and they told me my blood came back normal???!! I'm so annoyed and confused. I'm waking up and my jaw seems to be stuck and won't open well at all, my shoulders ache, my arm will not fully straighten, my fingers are like a family pack of Richmond Sausages, my lower back aches so much, my toes are fat and sore and I find it difficult to turn my head. What is wrong with me and why is my blood normal??? Please someone help, I'm nervous and I need to know what's happening to me...
    Stacey x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi mizzydeee;

Firstly, good for you for getting through your blood draw. That's a great accomplishment.

Did your doctor's office book an appointment for you to discuss your results with the doctor? You should, if they didn't. Blood tests look for certain things but results are viewed in the context of your symptoms.

There are several types of seronegative inflammatory arthritis. There aren't blood tests for these; diagnosis is made based on your clinic symptoms and usually by a rheumatologist.

Try not to worry, but do have a discussion with your doctor.
    xxAnna
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Boomer's right. Discuss the results with your GP. A referral to a rheumatologist is probably the next logical step. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • MizzyDeee
    Thanks Guys, I guess I just really thought I was going to get answers so I could do something about it. The aches are driving me insane and I'm so tired. I constantly feel like I'm coming down with the flu. I've had a good read about herbal ways for pain relief and anti inflammitories. I purchased some oral aloe vera, green tree and green lipped mussel tablets to help. My local health shop boss is more than happy to help and research once I'm finally diagnosed, which is helpful.
    Stacey x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi mizzydee, I'm in the same boat as you, had blood tests knowing that my reading on my inflammatory markers test flagged up a high reading on my kidneys. So had to have a second blood test to show what the actual problem was in my kidneys. I rang for results and the receptionist said it was all fine!! So have had to arrange a phone consultation with my G.P to get a proper answer!! It's the second time this has happened to me!