Not feeling ok about using walking sticks at the age of 25

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 27. Oct 2013, 17:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Some months ago, it became apparent that not only was my gait pattern very poor and affecting other joints but that I had really lost a lot of mobility thanks to the RA. At that point, I was quite desperate, so accepted my OT and physio's decision to try me with a stick or two. As it turned out, I needed more support and have been using crutches since then.

Things have slowly been improving thanks to my first anti-TNF cimzia but the main problem is that the muscles in my lower arms are getting swollen and painful. So, my OT suggested trying me on 2 sticks instead of 2 crutches and I baulked at the idea. Logically, I know that it is a good step forward for me to be improving and that I definitely do not want to be causing problems elsewhere yet I feel so unable to accept using sticks. I can just about tolerate crutches but I can't get my head around using sticks at such a young age - no, not even the pretty sparkly ones. :(

I'm sad and cross with myself for feeling this way. I have tried to rationalise it with myself but I've hit a stumbling block.

Comments

• chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think it's normal to baulk at using walking aids, regardless of age, and it must be harder when you are so young. Having said that though, sticks are far less obvious than crutches, and much more convenient for you to take around with you (cars, buses, work etc).

You're not alone, there are likely others in your position on this forum, but where I work there are several young people that I see daily walking into work from the car park with two walking sticks, or two crutches. No one stares or makes comments, and they are just colleagues. Some of them have what look like custom sticks, and some just have plain grey/metal NHS type sticks.

If your arms are getting sore, I'm not sure how sticks as opposed to crutches would help (but the physio knows best), but I do know there are different types of crutches, or attachments for them, that can put the pressure on a different part of your arm that may help.

Good luck and I hope your pain levels and mobility improve.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh, it's not easy, is it? I can see this as progress for you but I can understand your reluctance to use them. I have no wise words - I am just thankful that with my being an old bat of 54 I no longer have these worries and cares. This is so tough for you younger ones, but I can say this: we know you are a lass with strength, courage and resolve, you've proved it to us so many times and I am sure will do so again. I cannot see how sticks will help your lower-arm troubles, do you lean heavily on the crutch handles? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Options
    I do lean heavily on the crutches. I thought that if I can 'train' myself to lean on them less, the pain in my arms will ease and I can do what we planned - go from 2 crutches to 1 crutches and then maybe 1 stick but not 2 sticks. I just have a mental block about it. :?

Thank you for your kind words. I'm feeling a little miserable. It doesn't help that I have - yet again - damaged the ligaments in my 'good' foot. :(

Tramadol + codeine = bed
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    ((((Starburst))))

I'm so sorry about ure predicament. I was told crutches were better for me all along as I have PsA in my neck & shoulder & fibromyalgia in the trapiezius muscle groups (I think thats wot its called) I had to have them at 41 & it was a mental struggle for me so I can't even imagine how such a young lady feels!!

I don't understand how sticks will help you? I'd have thought ud apply even more pressure to sticks to try & feel the same amount of stability & safety?! I'm, of course, only going by my own usage. I too am suffering in forearms, wrists, hands & the plump pad under my thumb .. Ouch :? I'm going to be padding the handle area all out with sponge to see if that helps.

I can't offer you any wisdom or advice im afraid other than perhaps talk thru other options with ure physio such as the practicality of one crutch & one stick ... Easing them in that way maybe.

(((((gentle))))) xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I understand that you find walking sticks and crutches not to trendy your young! I was 24 when I had to start using a walking aid, I started with a NHS walking stick (looked like something a grandpa would use!) I had no choice so just got on with it! Then a friend told me about a place you could get posh looking sticks, so I got one with a bass head of a fox on it! It was useless to support me so gave up using it and I found a proper black walking stick on the Boots internet site not sure if they still sell me but it is a nice walking stick, also there are some very nice walking crutches about these days I know a few of us including me have different coloured ones, mine are black. So don't give up look at what's available these days and I'm sure you will find something your happy with. Don't put your self at risk of hurting yourself.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hello Starburst sorry you are feeling bad. You know I think society in general thinks only older people have sticks( 'oooh you are getting old now better get a walking stick' )but it isn't true. I've seen loads of younger people with sticks /crutches etc. I hope you feel better soon.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I can't help except to offer some sympathy. I'd have hated sticks, crutches or anything in my younger days though a pram/pushchair helped for a while - bit of a drastic solution though :lol:

I've never been good with any walking aids post op (the only time I've used them) as my hands/wrists/shoulders have always been some of the worst bits. I just learnt to walk very carefully and I sometimes wonder if that helped in a way as my wrists have fused in the useful 'straight' position and I've always walked upright so(?) have few back problems.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry the crutches haven't work out for you, I find them much better than sticks I don't twist the same..its hard to come to terms with what ever age but when you are young it must be much harder.
    I do hope they help you be in less pain then it will all be worth it..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awe Sophie, having just acquired a stick myself(and never had crutches) I am not very qualified to give you much advice, you are a very strong willed and determined young lady, as the saying goes where there's a will there's a way and you have the will and will find a way ((()))...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    It must be awful having to use sticks or any kind of walking aid at your young age......I'm older bat than DD :lol:
    I think if you get on well with the crutches I think you should just keep using them.....as long as you are using some aids.
    I remember when I had to use a stick at first {need more than that now} I preferred the hospital stick, I didn't feel such an old woman {even if I was :lol: } it looked a more temporary thing than an ordinary stick
    Do you think that's the way you think about the crutches?
    Just try not to put too much weight on them......I cant see how sticks would be better. I still uses crutches sometimes and am quite happy with them.....better than my rollator......I can get up and down escalators with the without having to go and look for a lift :lol:
    Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Yes I agree that Heleena's point about the crutches having a more temporary feel to them might be true? I have two walking sticks but only have had to use them in several instances I'm thankful to say. I did end up getting up out of the disabled seat on a bus a year ago to offer the seat to a newly boarded pensioner with a zimmer fram. I stood up - because not to would have appeared impossibly rude. But because my ankle was so swollen and painful I asked him if I could borrow his zimmer frame as a swap. He just grunted (obviously decided I was crazy and better not to acknowledge my existence) and I did clutch his zimmer and cursed inwardly as the bus lurched about everywhere!

There was an article about some very trendy, light looking RA walking sticks in one of the NRAS mags a few editions ago. Might be worth looking it up on their site? But then I'm fifty so if I need sticks I'll just use them and not have to feel unusual.

:roll:
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Hiya,

I can't offer too much help but I couldn't read and run!

I'm 21 years old and I struggle with my walking too. I'm looking to buy a wheel chair for shopping etc. as I just can't manage comfortably anymore, especially with standing around!

I'm the owner of two beautiful dogs and my priority is to get them out and walked everyday which I can currently do. They are large breeds (well, my pup will when fully grown!) so I can lean on them and grab them when I stumble (he's been trained to brace himself to take my weight! I don't just fall on him!). It's not always easy but I feel it's very important to keep the use of my legs and my muscles working, it takes just 3 days rest for my muscles to weaken considerably :( the dogs are my walking aids though and do a bloody good job!

I wear knee and ankle braces too which help. My knee brace is a nice bulky thing which you can see even under baggy track suit bottoms and it does make me feel self conscious. I haven't had to use sticks yet but I know I'd feel the exact same way you do, I'm quite badly effected in my limbs and especially my wrists so I doubt I could use them anyway!! It's so not fair! It's your body that's important though and your ability to still be mobile.

Try easing yourself into them, maybe only using them around the home at first and then maybe when you pop out for a short while? It might help you adjust to them :)

All the best
    Sez
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for your kind replies. I'm sorry I haven't replied, things have been hectic. I went to a walk-in clinic with my poorly foot. They think it's fractured but the nurse told me their x-ray machine is old and gives poor quality pictures, so I have to wait up to 2 weeks to have a senior radiologist to have another look!! I'm glad it's not a serious break but still a bit worried and in a lot of pain, as well as being a bit narked that I got up at 7 am and waited 2 hours to hear a nurse's parting words as; "fingers crossed it's not fractured"! :o I have private health insurance, so going to see if they'll agree to an x-ray with a decent machine!

So, I need my crutches for now because walking is very hard. I am feeling a lot less wound up about the sticks now and I am willing to give them a whirl. I'm sure I'll change my mind a good few times but I've not nothing to lose.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I was fortunate in that, when I needed to use crutches, I was allocated a very good physio. I was told that they are there to offer balance and stability but my muscles should do the work, and I have tried to stick to that rule. I guess this is why the Clatterator is now better than the sticks. It removes a deal of strain but I am much further on this ghastly road than you. It's tough, no? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben