The Beige Beauties.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. Oct 2013, 15:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
They're back, dammit. Little Miss Naive here thought that once the carpal tunnel op was done and dusted I wouldn't be wearing them again. What a twerp I am, yes? It's just as well I didn't throw them out. :( This week they've been on and off more often than a flickering fluorescent light. Baggir. :wink: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's bad news DD. I do know how you feel. I thought I wouldn't need my right hand splint after my wrist fusion. How wrong was I!!
    I told the Physio I was having to wear it again, she advised me to put it on before I do anything that's likely to cause pain. So, that would be practically all of the time then. :roll:
    Hope it eases soon.
    Take care.
    Numpty
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I've never stopped wearing the ugly things.

Numpty, I was told not to wear them during the day but am going to check with my nurse as my right wrist is very painful at the moment.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi salamander, I have different splints for night and day. I was told I wouldn't need my right hand splints after my wrist fusion, but somehow I do.
    The surgeon wants to fuse my other wrist now, but I'm holding fire, to see how this one progresses. I had it done just over a year ago, so early days yet.
    Numpty
  • salamander
    Options
    Ah! Sorry to hear you are still in pain.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry DD...strange but I tend to feel lost without mine... :roll: how sad is that :( ...I have just dyed them red...they look very snazzy..thinkI am losing it... :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    What a bummer. Mig
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Morning DD,

I'm sorry ure BB's are needed :( Better to have support than not tho I think!!

I think I'd get the dye or glitter spray or even both on them tho :D Bling um out a bit, who needs jewellery? :lol:

((((( ))))) Please take it easy.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. It is arthritis in both wrist joints, I don't know which arthritis is the culprit and, TBH, I don't care! :lol: They hurt, end of. I will up the diclos again to see if that helps, I am currently taking two per day to ease the Achilles tendonitis in my left foot and the plantar f rubbish in the right so at least I have room for maneouvre on the quantity. There is always a silver lining even if it is somewhat tarnished. :wink:

Right, Sainsbury's beckons. The fun never ends. DD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    Sometimes I think we sound like a spare parts store.....cool 8)
    I remember a night when I was about 19 and with my then girlfriend. Tremendously sexy situation when I stripped. Crutches aside, first. Of came my kidney protection belt, then the thing that stabilized my knee due to a meniscus tear, followed by.....Whow!
    Get better soon!!
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Told my OT that I always have and always will , dislike beige . My wrist and hand supports are black ; goes with everything !
    Jillyb
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    caliban wrote:
    Sometimes I think we sound like a spare parts store.....cool 8)
    I remember a night when I was about 19 and with my then girlfriend. Tremendously sexy situation when I stripped. Crutches aside, first. Of came my kidney protection belt, then the thing that stabilized my knee due to a meniscus tear, followed by.....Whow!
    Get better soon!!

Caliban, have you ever considered strip poker? You should make a mint :wink:

DD I never had carpal tunnel problems but I always had wrist splints. I used to have to wear them in bed before we got our king sized. Mr SW complained of nearly being KOd every time I turned over.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Oh dear DD never rains but........could it may be your flare that is maybe aggravating the situation? lets hope it eases off soon, take it easy............................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Sad :( . Hope the flare(? or what ever the culprit) subsides soon. Maybe brighten them up with some pretty stick on bits and bobs. Agree that beige is boring, but am always grateful for the support mine provide.

Deb xx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I've had the beige ones, a lovely set of grey, and the latest a most attractive black set. I never get away without wearing them, tho' I have been able to wear them only-at-night at times. Sometimes it's most advantageous to remove them in public because they are a conversation starter and not in a good way.....

Good luck DD, I hope the wrists and other joints settle down to a dull roar soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    Here I repeat Miss SW's advice: strip - poker
    (Guess what we were playing, back than)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Boomer13 wrote:
    I never get away without wearing them, tho' I have been able to wear them only-at-night at times.

Please be careful, Boomer. I was always told that, with any support, the more you wear it the slacker the muscles become ergo the more pain you get.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've managed to do a great deal without them today, which is pleasing, but I think I will don them whilst watching telly later this evening. Mr DD is taking me out to our local curry house, I intend to only eat half of mine so I can have the rest for lunch tomorrow. Saves work, no?

I too was told not to over-use any form of joint support for the same reason, it encourages slacke muscles but surely we each have to do what we have to do to help ourselves. We all negotiate very tricky tightropes from time to time. DD
  • salamander
    Options
    I've just remembered I was told by my consultant to put the supports on after any activity that hurts your wrists.

Where do you get the black supports everyone?
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thanks Sticky, DD. I'd forgotten about that for others reading on here. Thanks for keeping me sharp! :D

Sadly, for me it makes no difference at this point. I can't use my hands at all if I stop wearing them. I have hideous wrist joints, torn ligaments, and a damaged ulnar styloid so the muscles are useless to me. Plus, my hands contract into hideous claw-like things at night if I don't wear them. Fusion here I come! I know, I'm special :D .

That is the best advice for others; only wear wrist supports when absolutely necessary to preserve your arm & hand muscles. These are very difficult to rebuild once lost.
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Salamander, one set of black ones were custom medical jobbies, I had a prescription for them from my doctor. The other, lighter set I bought at a home medical supply shop.

They work best with a fitting by an OT who will remove and bend the metal support inside to fit the contours of your arm exactly. I had much better pain relief when I found this out (the hard way, of course)

Anna
  • salamander
    Options
    Thanks Anna, I probably wouldn't qualify for those just at this point.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Mine don't have metal in as my hands and wrists are too badly damaged , the black ones are NHS issue , requested from my OT .
    Jillyb
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I have long and short black neoprene splints from the rheumy OT- 1 set to support the thumb, the other for my wrist- they nestle gently in a well oiled drawer with the metal style splints (2 different kinds) and the compression gloves- a wonderous thing this arthur :? . to refer to another post- before I had Arthur I didn't know splints came in so many styles, colours and textures, and I didn't know I would be so grateful to have them!!!!

To echo what others have said- I was advised not to wear splints constantly because the muscles would weaken, but that compression gloves are fine for bed to keep swelling down and prevent joints deforming.

Hope you enjoy the curry- maybe with a wee beverage to wash it down? :P
    Deb xx