Look out for this virus on your computers!

Options
2»

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Can't find anything wrong with my computer but it's ok in the morning and keeps slowing down and speeding up to normal in the evenings.
    Christine
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    Probably your server. If it is erratic like that it's usually server overload.
    The new fibre optic does away with overloads to a certain extent, but with
    broadband it's something we have to live with for now.
    You could run C cleaner and tick the very bottom "Wipe clean" that does
    clean a lot off, but you HAVE to make sure you untick "Wipe clean" straight after. That does take a long time to do if you haven't done it previously.

Here is another way of wiping unneeded files etc:
    Go to "Computer" where you will see Local disk C and local disk D
    Right click on local disk C and scroll down to properties. Click on
    Disk clean up and a window will open. Follow the instruction to clean up your disks. It may take a few minutes to do but worth it. I do mine once a month.
  • applerose
    Options
    Thanks Ron. I was thinking server overload. Is what you're suggesting a defrag? There's a pop up which I use which cleans files up, getting rid of files which I don't need. I've a terrible memory. Can't remember what it is. :?
    Christine
  • applerose
    Options
    Just had a look at what you suggested and that's what pops up every couple of days.
    Christine
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Well Ron it's the morning after yesterday and my lappy is still alive and working can see a slight change in it's speed, mine is always a little slow after turning on, it needs time to warm up. But once it gets going it's fairly good. I do keep my lappy clean by having auto-cleans every morning and I remove the History. I also have BT desk top on my lappy and do a health check on that every couple of weeks. My OH thinks I'm OCD on it now. But since these last couple of viruses I'm super vigilant!!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Deltasearch got downloaded on our laptop once and it was a real struggle to uninstall it. Its more of a toolbar and we ended up typing in google as a search to get on the google toolbar.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Bubba

Is this the one think we have had it for ages on our computer and it does go slower...When go onto google chrome now a sort of loop that looks like the google colour comes up...

Elainexx

It is a toolbar with a picture of a cartoon frog. It comes up when youstart up your computer.
    E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Deltasearch got downloaded on our laptop once and it was a real struggle to uninstall it. Its more of a toolbar and we ended up typing in google as a search to get on the google toolbar.

Elizabeth

I managed to get rid of the toolbar by going to add and remove, that got rid of the toolbar but then the search engine appeared and that's when the real trouble started!!
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    The only permanent way of getting rid of unwanted search engines and browsers is to go into settings click on manage search engines, just click on the unwanted ones and they should be deleted then.