shoulder decompression

Options
pumpkin
pumpkin Member Posts: 13
edited 1. Nov 2013, 18:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi was just wondering if anyone has had this surgery and if so could you offer any advice also clavicle resection, feeling a bit panicky about opp.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello pumpkin. It's lovely to meet you but I'm sorry about the arthritis which brings us all together. I do have it in my shoulders but have never had a op there. I've had several in knees and hips though and, in my experience, ops make things better. I do hope you find the same. I also hope someone will be along soon with more experience of shoulder ops. They're not as common as knees and hips and it's weekend when these forums become a little slow so don't be discouraged if you get no immediate answers.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Hi pumpkin x Have you tried searching the forum with key words? I can't offer anything in the way of advice I'm afraid, but in these circumstances, I give out free (gentle) hugs! x
    Toots x
  • pumpkin
    Options
    It's lovely to meet both of you,I hope your both having a good weekend, we have had quiet evening takeaway, x factor , pjs. Toots thankyou for the gentle hugs. Hopefully I will be able to hug again with out pain after opp,as we have 7 grandchildren we do a lot of hugging! :D
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Sadly I've no experience either, but I do have a seriously dodgy shoulder that may one day need an op- so I'd be fascinated to hear about it too please! :o

Sending gentle hugs ((((((((((( ))))))))))), we really need to keep the cuddling apparatus in working order!

Deb xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello pumkin and a warm welcome from me
    Sorry I have never heard of shoulder decompression ...I hope someone comes along soon with some answers....x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi pumpkin - I've had a shoulder decompression op. I have RA but that isn't why I got it done . I fell down a set of marble stairs in the rain on holiday in Mexico and ended up damaging my shoulder badly. I was seen by a Mexican Dr who strapped it up for the flight home. I saw my rheumatologist on return and was referred to a surgeon . I had the decompression surgery done and it only gave me some , not all , movement back . Definitely worth trying though . Recovery is quite painful ( I won't lie !) first few days are exceptionally sore even by an RA sufferers standards but it does ease up after about 1 week. I had to take 6 weeks off work. Surgery only left me with 2 small scars as my op was done via keyhole. Oh And Best post op advice ! I was given a huge strap on ice pack thing that velcroed on over my shoulder ! That was a must have ! My surgery was about 4 years ago now and I still do get a bit of pain in the shoulder . I know it's not the RA as my RA is symmetrical and my other shoulder has always been ok .....typical of me to injure my only decent joint but hey ho ! Good luck and go for it ! :)
  • pumpkin
    Options
    Dibdab, Barbara,Mormodook, Thankyou for the warm welcome. Barbara I think we must live quite close..I'm having my opp at wrightington hospital. I hope your recovery is going well. Mormodook thankyou for advice on ice thing was it called cold pack? as I believe I will return from theater with this on and a sling. I do have it in both shoulders but the left is a lot more advanced. I will also be having a clavicle resection. could I ask how much you could do for you self in the first few weeks after surgery?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    pumkin you wont be disappointed with the treatment at Wrightington...I cannot fault them from the surgeon to the cleaner brilliant treatment..it takes people from allover the country and abroad...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi - the Velcro thingy was called a Cryo Cuff (you can google it to find a picture) . They filled it with cold water and it had a plastic pipe thing attached. I looked like an extra from dr who ! It gave me fantastic support as well as cold pain relief. I'm sure you'll get relief from the op .... It certainly doesn't do any harm :)