Standing up straight?

Options
mouseymousey
mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
edited 27. Oct 2013, 18:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All,
I've noticed of late I am getting very stooped. I've seen a physio and I knw the pulling yourself up thingie. But, its hard to do all the time. In the papers & free mags I noticed ad's for what looks like a shoulder brace thingy.
Anyone bought one, are they any good? Any other tips/recommendations appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mouseymousey;

I would consult your physio or a doctor on this one. Do you have a spondylitic condition?

I think bracing should be approached with caution because any kind tends to weaken your muscles rather than make them stronger. I have kyphosis and so far have had only exercises recommended by a physio. My yoga teacher coaches me as well and this has been quite helpful.

Her advice was to carry an item in my pocket, like a small stone, so every time I put my hand in my pocket and feel the stone it reminds me to check how I'm sitting and straighten my back, relax my shoulders, etc. I was surprised how well this works. So far the chair yoga exercises I was taught have been the most effective with my upper spine & shoulders. I will always has a curve in my spine though, that is permanent but with proper exercises I may be able to slow down the process.

Please do check with a professional because a brace I think would only be appropriate for certain medical conditions.

Anna
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Definitely see a physio. Just because your back and shoulders are stooped doesn't mean that's where the problem is. It could be knees, or hips not functioning properly causing your body to bend forward to compensate. I'm only saying this because before my TKR's I was walking stooped without realising because I couldn't straighten my legs properly.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Mousey
    I had one of these many years ago..I found that it rubbed and didn't do much for my round shoulders has they called them ..I haven't seen this one , but I am sure there isn't much difference.
    Love
    Barbara
  • MrOptimist
    MrOptimist Member Posts: 175
    Options
    The Alexander Technique is very effective in helping postural problems. Tai Chi exercises and yoga are also useful.

My feeling is that the type of braces you see advertised in mags etc, are likely to do more harm than good.

Best wishes :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I fear this won't help but I am aware that my posture is better when I am using my rollator rather than my crutches. The rolly allows me to move better because I only have two limbs to co-ordinate rather than four (viz both arms and both legs). Do you use any walking aids? If not, well, they could be of benefit. In my early days the crutches were useful but as time moved on I found I needed four wheels. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I agree with DreamDaisy, my posture is so much better when I'm using my crutches. I am affected with RA in both shoulders and one is worse, it gets curved so round that my family say; "your shoulder hurts, doesn't it?!" when I'm flared up. I don't know the nature of your arthritis but something like swimming or gentle pilates might be good. I've heard good things about the Alexander technique too but I admit, I don't know loads about it.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Alexander technique can be very helpful in your sort of situation but you would need to see a medic first to find out if there is a reason for the problem. It isn't an easy or cheap option but the idea is that you are taught how to help yourself, and so will reach a stage where you can 'go it alone'. There are books and videos but they are really only of use after you have had a few sessions as you need to know what things should feel like rather than just copying what a movement looks like.