Re: reactive arthritis and tonsillectomy

tiggerbounce Member Posts: 20
I have reactive arthritis after having a c section, the arthritis returned last year after 3 bouts of tonsillitis and again this year after 6 bouts of tonsillitis, I have had a steroid injection to control it, I am in a little pain at the moment as the last injection was in between bouts of this years tonsillitis, I am trying to hold of having another injection. I saw my specialist recently and he has recommended a tonsillectomy to solve the arthritis, I am currently waiting on a letter to my doctor to suggest I have this done. What I really want to know, as my specialist has recommended I have this done should my doctor refer me without question and because of this recommendation would the ent do the procedure? I dont know how long I will have to wait to a) get my letter amd b) get my referal


  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,020
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Tiggerbounce

    Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are in pain at the moment but it is positive to hear that your doctors are looking at solving this issue. We are not medically trained so I could not tell you what kind of specialist will do this procedure and would say that you could speak to your specialist and / or your GP about how the referral will proceed and what kind of specialist will do the procedure. You could also ask your doctor how long they expect you to wait until you have your appointment. I don’t know if you have any information about reactive arthritis but there is information on this condition that include treatments and self management techniques on the Arthritis Research UK website on the link

    Also you are very welcome to call us here on the confidential Freephone helpline on 0808 800 4050 (Weekdays 10am – 4pm) if you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team.

    I hope this information is helpful.

    Best Wishes