The new RA self injection ( with methotrexate ) good/bad?

Options
Mormodook
Mormodook Member Posts: 130
edited 29. Oct 2013, 18:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
My rheumatologist has strongly hinted that next time I see her in January I will be offered the injection ( can't remember it's name ) that you self inject every week to go along with your dose of Methotrexate. Does anyone do this self injecting already and has it made a positive , neutral or negative difference ? Thanks all you fellow pin cushions !

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have Humira , can't have methotrexate in any form as my reaction to it was too severe , but big improvements for me with anti TNF . My ESR has gone from 100 - 130 down to about 45 - 60 .
    Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I wonder if you are referring to injected meth? I haven't heard of anyone taking meth tablets plus the injection. The injected stuff tends to be a little stronger than the tablets because it bypasses the digestive system. I inject meth weekly, I can accept that the meth / humira combination I am taking is working because my bloods are wonderful but I feel very little impact on the arthritis, I walk slightly better for a few days but that's it. I wish you well and I hope it helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm on Enbrel (etanercept) which is better taken with meth but I just can't have the meth anymore as it makes me really sick :(

The Enbrel is self injected once a week and yes I've found it has made an improvement :) I have found it really hard keeping my injections routine as I am really good at procrastinating but I'm getting better!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Maybe it is an anti-TNF you are thinking of? I injected enbrel twice a week for a while until things went wrong, now I do the humira fortnightly. DD
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    sounds like Enbrel , it is one of the new biologics & can work very well for some people
  • Mormodook
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I wonder if you are referring to injected meth? I haven't heard of anyone taking meth tablets plus the injection. The injected stuff tends to be a little stronger than the tablets because it bypasses the digestive system. I inject meth weekly, I can accept that the meth / humira combination I am taking is working because my bloods are wonderful but I feel very little impact on the arthritis, I walk slightly better for a few days but that's it. I wish you well and I hope it helps. DD
    Hi and thanks :)
    It isn't an injected methotrexate . I think it is an injection that I was to do along side the methotrexate tablets . I didn't catch the exact name of the injection. Hope you are well :)
  • Mormodook
    Options
    Sezeelson wrote:
    I'm on Enbrel (etanercept) which is better taken with meth but I just can't have the meth anymore as it makes me really sick :(

The Enbrel is self injected once a week and yes I've found it has made an improvement :) I have found it really hard keeping my injections routine as I am really good at procrastinating but I'm getting better!

I'm glad that you've found it helpful. Is the actual injection sore to do ? Thanks :)
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I started on Meth injections last year, they do work a lot better than the tablets.

It does take a while to get used to doing the injections yourself, but a nurse will show you how to do it.

For someone who is terrified of needles it was quite a feet for me to be able to do the injections by myself.

One peice of advise though, I would do the injections at night just before you go to bed, this will avoid the bulk of the tiredness effects that I had when I used to do them during the day, (until I switched).
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I inject methotrexate once a week. It is very easy and I have very little reaction to it, unlike the tablet version. On the downside, I am not sure it is doing any good and the home delivery is a real pain in the butt.....almost more than the PsA lol!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It would appear that you are talking about an anti TNF medication so my best guess is enbrel. Over my years of LWA I've learned not to do well, just to be satisfied with coping. :wink: Whatever it is I hope it works a darn sight better for you, hopefully you are getting whatever-it-is early enough to make a truly positive difference. DD
  • Mormodook
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It would appear that you are talking about an anti TNF medication so my best guess is enbrel. Over my years of LWA I've learned not to do well, just to be satisfied with coping. :wink: Whatever it is I hope it works a darn sight better for you, hopefully you are getting whatever-it-is early enough to make a truly positive difference. DD
    Thanks DD . I know what you mean ! I'm 15 years diagnosed now so not in the early bracket but strangely enough I'm still quite a "glass half full" type person! Hope you find something that works soon :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That has never happened with me and now won't. I am on my third and final anti TNF, I am seventeen years in but began the meds far too late for them to make any discernable difference. I have also added OA and fibromyalgia to the mix, and naturally the humira and meth don't touch those. No matter. I hope it helps you, please let us know as and when yes? DD