Open university

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 30. Oct 2013, 16:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not sure if this is the right place to post?

I have been back in University now for around 7 weeks, so far my attendance has been up and down due to my AS. Seems I will hopefully be graduating this year I have been thinking about what to do next, I don't think that I can cope with another year of University with all the walking about, changing blocks and walking up lots and lots of hills so I have been looking at the Open University courses and some Masters level courses. They offer a few choices of courses that would appeal to me and I'm trying to think ahead if this is something that I want to do or not.

Has anyone on this forum done any type of on line course? Any information on how you found the work balance etc to be beneficial with Arthritis would be nice.

Comments

• purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

I have no experience with AS, I have OA in my spine but I am sure that more members of AC will be on the forum soon to give you plenty of good advice.

My son managed an OU course whilst he was in full time work as a manager of a well known do it yourself store. I know he is healthy, lucky man :roll:. I am sure you would be able to work around your health issues more easily than attending university daily. He only had to attend a few outside exams and had plenty of support from a mentor. It's certainly worth giving it more thought.

I wish you well in your education and hope your health issues improve.

Trish xx
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi there :)

I am doing home study as I cannot cope with college etc. I am doing a college course but it's only one day a week in one class room and they have lifts so I don't have to struggle with the stairs!

With the home course, it's SO important to manage your time well as it is really really easy to fall behind. I would make a very realistic schedule of when you will be doing coursework, but also make a 'backup' so you can catch up if you fall behind or your too unwell to work to your first schedule.

I've never done a masters or equivalent level but I'm getting there! I really enjoy it :) it is going to be really to do a home course in something you feel you have to do rather then something you want to do though! :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    My son did a course at home because of his IBS and he did very well...so you go for it..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks all for the information etc.

I don't think I'd struggle with an on line course personally, what I do struggle with is managing to wake up at 6AM every day, leaving the house at 7:30. Walking from lectures, walking up and down hills, my campus is built into the side of a mountain :(

From what I have been reading, on line courses do sound harder in a way because you don't get that 1-1 teaching. But then again with the amount of lectures that I actually miss I'm more or less doing an on line type course now technically, just that I lack the correct lecture material and always find myself having to dig around more than other just to be on the right track with my essays.