Codeine (co-co & nurofen plus etc.)

Options
Sezeelson
Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
edited 1. Nov 2013, 05:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, is taking codeine a daily thing for you?

I take Nurofen plus almost daily (ibuprofen & codeine) but I'm worried exactly where the line is between addiction and necessity...

Obviously I never take it if I'm not in pain... Which is rare :roll: lol but should I take it so regularly?

Basically, I had a problem with addiction about 4/5 years ago so it is just something that is on my mind. I've been over cautious with the Tramadol as I know this can be addictive and even herd of people using it recreationally so I only take it when I'm literally at my worst and it's a choice between tramadol or amputating a limb!! Lol

I've spoken to my dr about my past addiction so it's no secret. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance really!

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I used to take codeine but it made me a bit waffy I was on 60mgs a day
    What dose of codeine are you on? If it's with ibuprofen I'm sure it's only 8mgs of codeine
    My advice would be to go see your friendly pharmacist to discuss this
    My pharmacist is fantastic really knowledgeable and helpful he even has a little private room so you can discuss any problems without anyone overhearing
    Or go see your GP
    Best wishes
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I take co-cos (30/500) on a regular basis, I usually manage on two per day which, although not enough, leaves room to increase to four or even six. The trammies are kept for the truly severe times. I got through yesterday without any, but took a couple at 4am to help me settle back to sleep. I am not concerned by the addiction aspect, for me it's more a case of this pain is not going to go away, all the meds in the world won't make it go away, I have to live with it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    It is a well known fact that codeine is addictive...its swings and roundabouts really ..do we put up with the pain...I find that more often than not paracetamol works for me ...I take the codeine at night but you must always check that you haven't gone over the levels of paracetamol.
    I see you are taking ibuprofen ..have you tried this without codeine.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sezeelson
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

It is 12.5mg of codeine of which I will usually have anything from 4 tablets to 8 tablets a day which is 50mg in total.

If I have more then 8 or if I have 8 tablets for a few days I will make point of taking just one or two over the next week (unless I really need it) as I become tolerant to it so for it to work I will need to keep increasing the dose.

I find cocodomal does work better for me but I get a bit funny with paracetamol as you can overdose on it :S

I have had just ibuprofen, but, not for a long time thinking about it!? I should definitely start them again, moving up to the codeine if I need to rather then relying on it so much!

I know I panic when I don't have any 'strong' pain killers, I think this is because I can't cope when the pain is that intense it really scares me! I regularly run out of codeine and I don't give it a second thought which makes me think I'm not 'dependant' on the codeine itself.

It's really hard! And not being in pain is more important to me then becoming dependant on codeine but I think it's just the cloud I have over my head about my past...

I feel I'm in control, I guess that's the important thing!
  • thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Yes it is addictive. both physically and mentally. I have been on co-dydramol 30/500 for years now and I take 2 tabs 2-4 times a day. I would say i am physically dependant for now. When I was feeling good I tried to miss it completely but I would get antsy, sweaty etc. visited the doc and she gave me a lower dose to step down to then mix in 1 tab with paracetamol etc. It was working until Arthur flared up, now I am back on the strong once again. Plan to start tapering down again asap but not adding withdrawal into my life at the mo.

I don't feel the doctor explained the addictive side of the drug when I was put on it but at the time all I cared abour was the pain stopping. As has been said- swings and roundabouts.

Thistle
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    As well as addiction, the problem with codeine is that you build up a tolerance for it, so that to be effective you need to take more. The thing I never understood is the doctor saying take just paracetamol (or ibuprofen) and if that is not effective take the co-codamol (or I guess neurofen plus) the next time. The problem with that is if the paras on their own weren't good enough, I'd have to wait 4 hours to be able to take the co-cos. If only he'd have prescribed me codeine on its own to supplement the paras when necessary!

Anyway, my point is, can you ask for a codeine prescription to take only when the ibuprofen on its own isn't enough?
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    Don't forget co codamol has paracetamol in so don't take extra paracetamol
    If you take correct dose you can't overdose
    So that's 4 doses over 24 hours no more
    Also watch out for cold remedies as they can contain paracetamol
    I was a nurse and always made sure that my patients knew exactly what they were taking and when even writing it all down on a piece of paper to make it easier
    A funny tale when a dear friend of mine sadly she is no longer with us discharged a patient told them take 4 to 6 times a day and as they lived near her bumped into each other so my friend asked how he was doing he said ok but the pain is really bad so she asked why his reply was well you told me to take them 46hours apart after that she made sure she gave exact instructions and that the patient understood, luckily for her the guy had a good sense of humour
    Maria
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi
    ... you told me to take them 46hours apart ...

Lucky he hadn't though 46 times a day! :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Pain is part of our lives. It will always be there to some degree or another and we have to accommodate it by making alterations to what we do and how we do things. I know my limitations (and they are increasing as time passes) but surely 'tis the nature of the beast. I keep myself distracted from it as best I can, that is one of the reasons I am on here so much because thinking about, keeping in touch with and replying to others takes my mind off me. Things are tough at the moment but so what? They've been tough before, they will be tough again but I'm sure a better time will arrive in due course. It usually does, albeit increasingly fleeting. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hello;

For myself, I have never had a problem with codeine or Tramadol; I can reduce the dosages without incurring withdrawal symptoms. I take quite a lot; 300mg Tramadol once daily as a timed release, and 30mg codeine, four times a day, or more at times. If I do reduce dosages, it's gradually of course.

I have had doctors tell me I would have withdrawal symptoms when I tried to reduce dosages but this did not happen. Maybe it's an individual thing?

I do believe in taking the minimum amount necessary, but it is important to have adequate pain control so you can be as active as possible. And, have a descent QOL. I recognize that I am meds-dependent, however, this is a different issue than true physical addiction. I don't like the meds'-caused foogy-headedness, so it's no problem to find the motivation to reduce dosages when I can; if you continue to take pain meds when they are not needed, then scrutiny as to an addiction issue may be warranted. I never had a substance abuse problem when I was healthy, so this doesn't loom large in my list of worries.

The comments previously made about writing down what dose you have taken and when, and keeping close track of your cumulative daily acetaminophen are a very important part of managing your meds. I worry much more about toxic doses of this than I do about addiction.

Hope this is helpful,
    Anna
  • Sezeelson
    Options
    I'm very careful with paracetomol, I double check everything so I know I'm only taking one medicine containing paracetomol, including nasal sprays etc.

The thing with me is, the nurofen plus isn't just to control pain associated with arthritis. I also suffer terribly with sinus problems and high doses of codiene, a dark room and a nap is the only thing that has ever worked. I also have IBS, I do have medication to control this (and has changed my life!) but when I get bad cramping I again turn to codeine.

I really do need to start keeping track of what I'm taking though. Nurofen plus goes down as when regardless of my last dose or if I've already exceeded daily limits which is pretty stupid. It has never caused me any problems... Yet :/

A large part of my addiction was due to mental health problems, I've come a very long way since then though.... And again I'm on medication for this lol.... Meds, meds, meds!!

I think I'm going to go and do a complete rehaul of my medicene with my dr. See where I can change things and get referred to a pain clinic so I can learn to cope better with my pain.

I've recently purchased some good quality knee supports to help with walking and making sure I'm wearing my wrist supports even though I hate them!

I do get fed up with it all. My dr's hardly make it easy for me either!
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Addiction does seem to be quite personal. I took 60mg of codeine a day (with paracetamol) for several months - maybe even years; I can't remember - before I had my TKRs. I had no choice, the pain was really bad, tramadol makes me sick, anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen/naproxin give me panic attacks. When the pain got better following the op I gradually cut down the codeine, and had no real problems...a bit of sleeplessness I think, but that was all. I haven't taken it now for over a year. So it's not always addictive.
  • Dakky
    Dakky Member Posts: 53
    Options
    I take co-codamal 30/500 four times a day, before that it was paracetomol and ant-inflammatories as well. I find the relief to be minimal to be honest, but when you're lying their racked in pain I don't really see an option, some relief is better than nothing.

I haven't given addiction a thought, if the the doctor told me right now I could be pain free but the drug might be addictive, I wouldn't give it a second thought, I'd be on it.

Funny how things work out. Previously I would never take pain relief tablets for anything, toothache, injuries etc. I always felt that the body was telling me something and I'd better heed the warning rather than mask it with pain killers. That was before constant and at times agonizing joint pain whilst doing mundane things decided to rear it's ugly head though.