downhearted.

Options
mellivenelli
mellivenelli Member Posts: 38
edited 4. Nov 2013, 07:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys

Ive only posted once before but lurk frequently but just need some advice or the benefit of your experience please!!

Had my left hip replaced 4 weeks ago and am experiencing a number of problems. I have different leg lengths (which I know is common) but as a result of the surgery I have a twisted pelvis and spine which is causing me awful pain when i try to do anything. Has anyone else had this problem after THR?

Am going for an urgent MRI on thursday and am worried sick that it can't be fixed at all. My consultant seems to think my true leg length discrepancy is only 1cm but because of the angle of my pelvis it's actually somewhere around 2-3cm but it looks much worse. Some of the symptoms I have are making him think that I have some spinal problems (i.e bulging disc) that may have been there before the surgery (but I think he's flapping that i'm going to sue him!)

I'm having a total nightmare and i'm worried that i will be stuck like this.

Sorry if it seems a bit garbled but i'm stressed.

Thank you.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm afraid that I cannot help at all but it is still very early days post-surgery for you so all may not be lost. We all know that stress can worsen pain and discomfort so please be as kind to yourself as possible, keep up with any pain relief you have to hand, don't put your pelvis and hip under too much pressure and let's hope that tomorrow's MRI shows that things can be dealt with, yes? How are you getting to the hospital? Do you have someone to drive you there? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellivenelli
    Options
    Hi DD

Thank you for your reply. I know it's early days and i'm still resting as the physio says he only wants me to do essential walking and some stretching exercises. The hip itself is healing well and i almost have full range of movement in it already which is great. It hurts like hell first thing in the morning but i'm on regular analgesia and the hip is feeling ok it's just the rest of me thats causing trouble :lol:

My hubby is taking me tomorrow so I have some support.

Seeing the physio on tuesday but not seeing my consultant until 19th November so i've got to wait until then to get some news :(
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Mell I am so sorry you are suffering like this, I had a THR 3 months ago..and I have a slightly longer leg not sure if the measurements ..but I have been told that when the tendons and nerves start to adjust them it might not be a prob,,but has for the pelvis...sorry I cant help but I do wish you well and hope the MRI show up nothing serous..please let us know how you get on...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi;

I am sorry you are having such pain and worry. Hang on in there, it's still very early days after your surgery, as others have said. It will take time for everything to settle down, heal and adjust. Give yourself time and keep going with your physio; you've been through a major insult to your body (as I'm sure you know!)

You've likely been moving awkwardly to compensate for hip pain for quite a while, so it will take some time for everything to re-adjust. Try to be patient and not worry, the body has an amazing ability to heal!

Good luck with your MRI,

Anna
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I had a THR almost 4 years ago, and am due another one soon.
    Previous to the first one I noticed one trouser leg seemed slightly longer than the other.....he measured my legs....both were the same but he diagnosed kypho scolios and spinal stenosis. {scoliosis being a C shaped curve in your spine.}
    I've always had a sore back but its been treatable by an osteopath} but not now.
    Sorry.......that's no help really but just thought I would mention it.
    Hang on......it might just be the THR and you'll be back to normal in no time :wink:
    Love
    Hileena
  • mellivenelli
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

MRI now done and just awaiting my results.
    Whats worse is I ended up in A+E the same night I had my MRI and it now turns out I have ended up with a prolapse due to not having the proper sensation to urinate or defaecate since my THR. I am so embarrassed. I spent the few days afterwards hiding away and crying.

Well and truly cheesed off. Didn't in a million years think it would affect me this way.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh bless,that is all you needed,..we have these ops and think we will be better off, hopefully when you 'get the results of the MRI something will be dont to help you..please know you can always talk to us lot...it will help ..((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • clockworkpurple
    clockworkpurple Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi,

I can't help with any of the specifics, but just wanted to stop and give you a hug ((( ))). I've certainly found posting here helps, and hope you do too.
  • mellivenelli
    Options
    thank you Barbara and clockwork x

Just need to know whats going on now. May have to wait until the 19th to know which is doing my head in.

If i find out sooner i will let you know.

Thank you for the hugs i really appreciate them xx