Newbee

Polly1956
Polly1956 Member Posts: 2
edited 31. Oct 2013, 17:23 in Say Hello Archive
Hello my name is Pauline I have osteoarthritis in my knees I had a 2/3 knee replacement two years ago in my right knee having been told for 4 years there was nothing wrong!!! I also had a boney growth behind my knee that was missed!! In June I had a cortisone injection in my left knee at the hospital, and it worked well by the next day, this had now worn off and my knee is really painful again, i had an appointment with the hospital in Nov but he said if it got too bad before this to ask my GP to do it, I have tried all conventional painkillers and nothing has helped so asked my GP for another one yesterday at first I thought it was working but today it is just as painful as before, is it normal to not work every time? If I went back to the hospital would they give me another one as I have an appointment in Nov

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope that the forum can help with information and support. I have both an auto-immune arthritis plus OA in both knees (and other joints too) and never found much help from steroid injecitons. Steroids mask the problem rather than curing it and they are rationed because they thin all bodily tissues, which is not good in the long-term. When one has had a steroid injection into a joint it is best to rest that joint for at least 48 hours, has anyone told you that? My guess would be no. :wink: Pain dullers are just that - they dull the sharper edges of the pain but no more. I am having a rough night so am off to bed now, but I will come back tomorrow and try to be more helpful. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Pauline, welcome to the forums, repost this on Living With Arthritis as a lot of people don't look at this forum. It is OA I have in my hands and recently have had steroid injections in the base of my thumb which did nothing for me what so ever, I am now waiting to go and get a trapiezectomy done. What I can gather from other people steroids can be a hit or a miss, it may be that it is going to take a little bit longer to kick in or it is not going to work at all i'm afraid, what the consultant will do next I am afraid I don't know. In the meantime all I can suggest is if it doesn't work go back to your GP and see if you can get some stronger pain relief, nice to meet you..............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles