Hi Everyone

Options
sheepielover
sheepielover Member Posts: 8
edited 5. Nov 2013, 13:25 in Say Hello Archive
Hi just wanted to say Hello to everyone and introduce myself, I'm Sue I live in Bolton with my husband of 2 years and our 2 beautiful old English sheepdogs Holly & Daisy.
I have had psoriasis for about 15yrs never knew I had it, I took some anti-biotics and they appeared on my skin , anyway I've managed quite well with creams and such over the years to keep it under control but then in November last year I felt quite unwell. I'm not one to moan I just thought I had a chill as my bones were sore and my joints were swollen, thought I had cold in them got through the festive season as I had people coming but then in Jan I was really struggling at work, very tired. and just really unwell, my skin looked so angry and sore. I went to my doctor, who is lovely and she said oh my god Sue why didn't you come earlier. She said look at it I think you have PA.. I was off for nearly 4 month , at first I had 30 sessions of light treatment 3 times a week to sort my skin first then after blood test and x-rays it was confirmed. In May this year I started on methertrexate and I'm sorry to say it wipes me out. I'm normally a really upbeat person but I'm struggling with my desk admin job been there 20yrs in Feb and I have even asked them for voluntary redundancy to help me, then hopefully I can get a part time job when I'm better moving about perhaps in a shop or something I dont mind just not being sat down all day. when I get up I'm really embarrassed as I'm stiff even after 20 mins and walking like a cripple they say to get up but everyone looks at me, Its awful I just go to the toilet and back, I know the other staff are noticing this as they look at me, also I heard a giggle yesterday, I don't know if this was aimed at me but it felt like it. I don't feel I'm being very productive as I cant type fast as my joints are sore and my concentration is poor writing this has took me ages, even my bum hurts if I'm sat down for any lenght of time I just don't know what to do , they are sending me to see an independent doctor next week.... I just feel if I start talking about it I will burst into tears, I cant afford to just leave I just don't know what to do, sorry to sound grim, can anyone give me any advise please - Thank you

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi;

Your story sounded so familiar to me I just had to send you some (()). I'm still sorting out medications for my PsA, so I don't really have any wise words about getting back to work. You may have to take some time off and just rest for while. Getting over-tired definitely makes everything worse.

You sound very painful, are you taking anything to help you manage the pain?

Best wishes,
    Anna
  • sheepielover
    Options
    Hi Anna, Thanks for replying, my doctors have given me co- codamal they have upped the strength but its not helping much also I'm on 6x 2,5 mtx tablets a week and folic acid tablets the 6 days after to help with my nausea, but have to go back in 3 months to be reviewed again everything will get better but im really struggling, Im normally quite active so what home im like a different person as I can walk and exercise when I want its so different in work
  • Boomer13
    Options
    I found my workplace very stressful, even though my position didn't actually involve much responsibility. I struggled to get there on time because of am pain & stiffness, felt like I wasn't contributing and was stressed out by everything. I just couldn't concentrate or be productive and I felt that others were judging me as though I wasn't pulling my weight (and I don't think I was). In my case, I hadn't had a diagnosis at that time.

All the stress does provoke flares. I loved my job, but for my health, leaving was the best thing I could've done. I'm still hopeful I can go back one day. I struggled along at work for several years but then over a few months, PsA hit me systemically like a freight train.

If you are able to exercise at home and pace your activities so you can be more active, this may be better for your health? You do need to stay as active as you can. I hope you can work out a solution with your employer.

I was given Tramadol time-release for pain and I have to say it's worked very well, though it doesn't work for everyone. I use co-codamol as a top-up med as needed (plus a few others).

May I suggest re-posting on Living with Arthritis forum. There are more people visiting that one and I think you'll get more replies. There are quite a few people here that have PsA.

Best wishes and feel better soon.
    xxAnna
  • sheepielover
    Options
    Thanks Anna,

Reading what you have put It's just the same as me, I might have to leave if I cant do anything else there, I have already asked but they say there's nothing for me to do, as I said there sending me to see an independent doctor and I'm just going to be honest with him, one lady I know who's brother has psa says just describe your worst day. I know I'm going to get upset but I cant help it. I am already feeling worse with the colder weather and like you says stressing makes it work and I know I am.
    I really hope all goes ok for you, I have reposted in the other forum to

Thank you so much, Take Care
    Sue
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am seventeen years in with PsA (I began aged 37), my life has changed and I have had to adapt to those changes. My early symptoms (which did not include the skin trouble) went unrecognised as a form of arthritis for five years, I then had a further two without any medications so I am now paying a rather high price for all of that but no matter. Part of that change happened today, I have had to test-drive a bigger car because my walking aids won't fit easily in my current one. :roll:

It does come as a shock when you find your abilities 'dwindling' with what you can manage or not, especially with work etc. I think I can reassure you, however, that people won't be laughing at you - from my experience people are far too concerned with their trivialities to note your struggles. I was fortunate in that I was self-employed but had to stop work last year. It was just too much. Those without any form of arthritis cannot understand how it grinds at one but we on here do. We're all living with it in one form or another.

Not many people look in on this part of the forum, the more populated boards are the Living with Arthritis and Chit-Chat, the latter is supposed to be an arthritis-free zone and it usually is. I have to go and cook now, well, do veg prep: I now sit for that, usually with a glass of something lovely to hand. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Dear sheepielover,

Don't worry about getting upset at your appointment. You are going through an awful time, of course you would be upset! That's good advice to describe your worst day to the doctor. Best wishes.

Anna