Methotrexate injections

westkip
westkip Member Posts: 5
edited 7. Dec 2013, 09:28 in My child has arthritis
Hi I am new to this forum. My 12yr old daughter was diagnosed with arthritis in August this year. She had 11 joint injections initially which helped in the short term. She also started methotrexate tablets. She really hated taking them and was still getting flare ups after 11 weeks. So she has now had 2 sub cut injections at the children's hospital which she has coped with really well. I have a phobia of needles and can't do the injections, her dad has offered to try but she is not keen. I was just wondering how other people manage as we cant keep travelling to the hospital each week, and there seems to be very restricted access to community nurses. In the long term she hopes to be able to do them herself but it is very early days. The hospital are very keen on injections but it feels as if there is no system in place to make it remotely easy. She has had so much to deal with in the last few months and I am trying to make things as manageable as possible for her.

Comments

• moorehouse
    moorehouse Member Posts: 9
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello there are no easy solutions. We were lucky to have a great community nursing team. However it got much more complicated when my son started school in Sept as his hours didn't fit with the community team.

I now give his injection and my husband has to hold him. In the beginning my son was very needle phobic and it was so difficult to give it to him. However with great input from the community and psychology team we have made incredible progress.

There are many things you can do to get over the needle phobia. Ask for the input from your community/hospital team. It's a long term treatment so ensure you get the help you need as a family.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am so sorry you have had to find us. I am an adult but I can relate to this difficulty. When I first began injected meth I had to go to the hospital every week, and yes, it was a nuisance but I am lucky in that my hospital is just a five minute drive from my house. I wasn't keen on doing my own injections either, but once I was put onto an anti TNF med I decided to get my head round it because otherwise that would have meant two trips per week.

I did my meth jab this morning - done and dusted in under 6 seconds. Parents do sometimes have to be medics but that is an added pressure in an already-pressurised situation. I can understand her reluctance to have her dad doing it - when I had a double carpal tunnel op last year my husband offered to do it but I refused. I could do him, however, 'cos I am familiar with the process. Would anyone else in the family be a suitable candidate?

The whole family is on a steep learning curve with this and I extend my sympathy to you all, but especially your daughter. She sounds quite spirited and determined so be guided by her - if she feels able to tackle this then that could be an answer. I don't know much about the Community Nurses service, whether it's there for such long-term things such as weekly injections well, I don't know. There is also the matter of regular blood tests, these should be done at least monthly, so you wil be tied to either your GPs surgery for those or the hospital pathology lab. It's not easy, is it? I wish you all well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Annie1234
    Annie1234 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my daughter now taken methotrexate by self injection. She's 14 and decided she prefers it to either the tablet or solution. Even then she doesn't like the actual pressure! Does your child have to have the injection? Can you discuss what options you have, could you swap to tablets or liquid medicine for the methotrexate wit the arthritis consultant/nurse involved in your care?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Annie1234. It's nice to meet you but always a little sad when we find more children with arthritis. I'm glad your daughter seems OK with her treatment. Well done her! It can be difficult for us adults let alone young ones.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright