I'm new and would like to talk about my TKR

Options
Foxmyster
Foxmyster Member Posts: 19
edited 12. Nov 2013, 14:14 in Say Hello Archive
Just got back from a hospital oppointment in London I've been told I need total knee replacement I'm 46 the Dr said I was young for this opp and will look at other routes but he thinks that TKR is the way forward????

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Foxmyster

Lovely to meet you and to welcome you to our forums :D .

I have no personal experience of TKR, but many have on here. I suggest maybe reposting your thread onto the Living With arthritis forum and you should get lots of replies.

I do know there are 'in between' type things they can do from physio to steroid injections to arthroscopies. I understand that at 46 you may well feel 'too young', but if the consultant thinks it's the way forward he/she will have his/her reasons.....

If you are worried about the procedure and recovery etc this really is a great place for information and support :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Surgeons don't like to do joint replacements too soon because, if they do, most people will require another at some point. I had both knees replaced when I was 35 and had a revision about 4 years ago in one. The other's still keeping going but I think that's probably because I can't overdo things owing to the RA in most of my other joints. However, I do exercise daily to keep them in good nick.

If you have any questions about it just post on the Living With Arthritis forum where more people will see it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright