Gabapentin

Options
AndyMaz
AndyMaz Member Posts: 64
edited 18. Nov 2013, 08:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've been taking this for about 3 weeks now, after a consultation with a Rheumy nurse. During the consultation she re-checked my MRI scan and could see a bulging disc. She believes I still have an inflammatory back problem (still won't commit to a diagnosis), but wanted me to take Gabapentin for a month to see if it was the disc that was giving me the majority of pain.

I've never been in this much pain. Ever. I can't wait to stop taking it. Anyone else taking this stuff?

I take 2 x at night before bed and sleep rather soundly. On waking I feel like I've been on a 24 hour bender and I've had my lumbar spine replaced with a lump of concrete and I'm so tired all the time. My thoracic issues are unchanged.

At the consultation I was referred for a lumbar epidural to help with the pain. I believe this is more commonly known as a cortisone injection.

To say I am petrified about it would be a huge understatement. Either way I have decided to have it. For those that have had it, what is it like?

Comments

• purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi AndyMaz,

I've had a lumbar epidural steroid injection which helped me. There wasn't a lot to it, a small injection near the spine to numb which I hardly felt and then just pressure as the needle was pushed through, really nothing to worry about.

I've been on a tiny dose of Gabapentn which hasn't agreed with me 100mgs x 3 times a day. I've had a rotten time on it too. It doesn't suit everybody have they tried you on Amitriptyline yet?

Good luck and I hope you will soon be in less pain. :D

Trish xx
  • AndyMaz
    Options
    Hi Trish,

I have to take 2 x 300mg every night. I've never taken Amitriptyline.

Good to hear your experience with the injection though. A friend said he nearly went through the roof when he had one. So I asked him not to say anymore than that! :lol:
  • bounce
    bounce Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Hi AndyMaz

In reply to your post, I take 100mg X 3 times a day for nerve pain in my feet and hands, and Im allowed to put it upto 200mg X 3 times a day, depending on how bad the nerve pain is, ( via Pain Clinic)

Personally im still trying to find a good compromise on the dosage especially as the cold wet weather throws a spanner into the works, as you cant gauge how the nerve pain is Vs the weather is with the gabapentin.

I did take Amitriptyline but I had to come off that as it ended up giving me anxiety attacks, and I had been on it for 2 years ( would you believe its a side effect of that med.)

I hope the cortisone injection works for you, and the pain is a lot less for you, it would be a lot better for you then the gabapentin or the amatriptyline.

I did have a cortisone injection in the base of my thumb once, and it helped for a bit.

all the best

Jules
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Andy
    I am just starting to reduces my does of gabapentin..must say it has helped me..but I do think my memory has suffered then again it could be age... :roll: I take amytriptaline at night that is good to help you sleep..and you do get used to it...has for the lumber I have just had my 4th one in different places ,,good luck with it all and let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • AndyMaz
    Options
    Thanks all!

I really can't wait to finish the Gabapentin, mornings are really difficult when I really stiff, in pain and feel rubbish due to the meds! :roll:
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm taking Gabapentin, I have been fine with it, but it does mush my brain up!! My memory is totally messed up. I hate being asked questions as I just stare at the person and nothing comes out my mouth, it's totally embarrassing!! But Gabapentin does help me, where as like yourself it doesn't help you.
  • AndyMaz
    Options
    I honestly think Gabapentin is the wrong med for me, I have no issue with nerve pain judging by the fact I've got worse since ditching the Diclofenac for Gabapentin.

Luckily my memory is fine, I've always been a bit dense :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    bubbadog wrote:
    I'm taking Gabapentin, I have been fine with it, but it does mush my brain up!! My memory is totally messed up. I hate being asked questions as I just stare at the person and nothing comes out my mouth, it's totally embarrassing!! But Gabapentin does help me, where as like yourself it doesn't help you.
    Same here bubba...I am terrible..and not just a bad memory but mix up my words
    Andy it does sound like they are wrong for you mine did help with my back pain....hope you get it sorted soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I was prescribed gabapentin by a consultant but was advised by my GP not to take it because it was an anti epileptic drug and I have epilepsy {well controlled} and am on anti epileptic drugs already.
    Didn't take it because I didn't want to rock the boat :lol:
    Sorry that's the only experience I've had with it.

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Andymaz

I tried gabapentin years ago and got up to the max dose. It did nothing for my pain at all, but didn't cause me any trouble either even coming off that dose.

I think diclos and gabapentins are completely different and they ought to let you take both anyway :(

Good luck with the jab - I really hope it helps

Love

Toni xxx
  • Dakky
    Dakky Member Posts: 53
    Options
    My doctor initially prescribed it at 100mg x 3 a day, then doubled the dosage. I noticed maybe three days after the dosage had been doubled, my heart was beating very hard and could feel a throaty cough coming on. Probably foolish, but I just stopped taking it after a week. Heart no longer beats hard like that anywhere near as often and the painful throat has gone. I'm still left with the cns disorders, bit off a catch 22.

Oh, I should mention I'm having mid and lower spine pain too, but the gaba didn't appear to help that either.