First rheumatology appointment.

Options
clockworkpurple
clockworkpurple Member Posts: 22
edited 14. Nov 2013, 10:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I've managed to get a referral to rheumatology and, even more impressively, an appointment before Xmas! (20th December...happy Xmas to me!)

Can anyone tell me what happens at the first appointment? I know it's not for a while but I like to be prepared for these things so i can think about what I need to be ready to discuss, what to wear (!) etc. I'm on my own with this so need to know what I'm doing. I've been keeping a track of my pain using an app called RheumaTrack in preparation too.

Just taken my first Naproxen (got them last week but didn't want to take until I really needed to...which is today :( )...stomach ache within 5 mins. Psychosomatic, IBS, or intolerance...who knows?! :lol:

Comments

• Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh with naproxen you can get a stomach protecter. Well my first app wasn't typical I don't think as the rheum kinda knew I had psoriasis arthritis just by the presences of psoriasis and my history. But mine went like this:
    -Wait
    -See rheum he asks about my health history/ pain levels/ how long I have had it. Asks me where is worst
    -Steroid injection in knee
    -Prescribed methotrexate+ naproxen with a stomach protector. Also hand therapy, podiatry and physiotherapy for my back.
    -get a chest x-ray
    and that was it! You may get an x-ray of your joints or maybe an mri.
    Good luck!I just wore comfy clothes ( t-shirt and leggings). Wear something that will be easy to take off or pull up ( to see your knee for example).
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Always take the nap with food to protect your stomach but, if it happens again, ask for a stomach-protecting med. Sorry, I can't remember my first appt :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • clockworkpurple
    Options
    Thanks. i should've said I've got enteric-coated ones (due to previous with ibuprofen). Stomach's OK...for now!

Feeling quite fed up today too...just want to cry! Partly due to the way a so-called friend is treating me (long story - don't think it's to do with Arthur as he's barely even asked - more to do with him having a gf and so not needing me any more. Fantastic behaviour a best friend of 8 years! Not easy especially since we live in the same house.) but my knee's really bad too and it's getting me down. Luckily my boss (who's also a good friend) is massively understanding, so I'm leaving work early to avoid rush hour traffic.

Sorry for the emotional dump just then! :shock:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Don't worry about the 'emotional dump'. These things happen and are better shared.

As for the naproxen - yes, I used to believe 'enteric coated' would make a big difference :roll: Now I take everythingi] with food :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I remember my first one very clearly - I was told I was orthopaedics problem. :roll: A year later I presented myself again in rheumatology because orthopaedics had kicked me back. :lol:

I wear clothes that give easy access to my most affected joints, namely my knees and ankles, so it's skirts all the way for me. Wherever possible I don't bother with socks mainly to help me 'cos I can struggle with them. I think I was sent for Xrays, and a further set of blood tests, but no diagnosis was offered because they were genuinely puzzled by my symptoms. On reflection I have no idea why that was - surely a left knee that was about 25 inches in circumference was indicative of some kind of inflammatory arthritis!

As for your friend, don't be too harsh on him; this hits everyone around us and people react in different ways. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • clockworkpurple
    Options
    Thanks guys. DD - our problems pre-date my health issues so i think it's more just indicative of how he feels about me now. It's further complicated by the fact that in july we went from being housemates to him being my lodger when I bought my first house...I think our relationship could've survived maybe one upheaval, but him getting a gf (and an all-consuming relationship with her) AND the change in our housing situation seems to have been too much. I'm just in the process of grieving for our lost friendship and some days are worse than others. Just wish they didn't coincide with the bad pain days!

Thanks too for the appointment advice/memories. Don't want to waste my time there by not being prepped enough to get the most out of the appointment...
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Circumstances and lives change, that applies to everyone. We had a very good friend whom we supported through his leaving his wife then the divorce - we haven't seen from him or heard from him (despite texts from me) because he's all loved up and happy. It's no biggy but I can see how your situation is different. He may feel that now he's your lodger you two cannot be friends any more - 'friend' to 'landlady' is quite a move. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • clockworkpurple
    Options
    Wise words DD. I am hugely privileged to have many fantastic friends who are really supportive, so I need to concentrate on them and deal with the fact that we can't remain friends with everyone forever.

Plus, it's his loss, I'm awesome! :wink:

Thanks again Kittkat, stickywicket, and DD the advice/kind words.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    You know I figure friendships wax and wane- sometimes they're all consuming, and at others we grow and change and move on- maybe you're both at that stage. There will be other good friends out there just waiting to find out how awesome you are! :D

At my 1st rheumy appointment I had some xrays and bloods done, they examined mostly my hands and wrists- not surprising perhaps since that's what was sore and swollen. They asked about morning stiffness(how much, how long it lasted etc). It might be worth taking pics of particularly swollen joints now incase they've receded when you get there. Maybe keep a sort of diary detailing symptoms to give the rheumy a picture of what you're dealing with on a day to day basis.

Deb x
  • firestar
    firestar Member Posts: 44
    Options
    My first appointment was in January. Whilst waiting my blood pressure and weight were checked. the appointment all started off quite chatty as I thought I probably had fibromyalgia and really wanted someone to confirm it especially as my GP had been quite dismissive of things for a couple of years.
    She started asking a few questions about pain, history etc then looked at my hands, feet and back mobility and decided there were signs on inflammation so sent me for blood tests x ray of chest, neck, hands and feet, :D and a couple of weeks later an MRI with dye of my hands to confirm the diagnosis. I would go with the comfortable clothing especially as I had to change during the appointment then again at xray and have an easily accessible arm for blood test and Blood pressure checking

good luck :-)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    Make sure you take a list of anything you can think of...ie rashes weight loss or gain, hair loss, joint pain and stiffness...and make a list of any questions you would like to ask...good luck with it all.
    Love
    Barbara
  • clockworkpurple
    Options
    Thanks dibdab, firestar, and barbara12, it's really helpful to get an idea of what I'm in for! I'll definitely go for comfy clothing, and will write down anything I think of between now and then.