It's decision time - I did it!

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 20. Nov 2013, 08:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Thank you to all those who wished me luck and rode in my pocket. I felt your positivity and I was open and honest with my rheumatologist.

She's reducing my methotrexate but I'm staying on cimzia and leflunomide (same dose). Given my improved DAS score and just general improvement, I feel I can tolerate this a bit longer. We've agreed to review in January and hope that less MTX and an increased dose of my anti-sickness meds will ease the side effects. I'm being sent for an MRI scan of my hip to see if the problem is my hip or spine and indeed, if it is a joint problem or maybe something else.

So, that's the good news. The (little bit of) bad news is that my swollen inner elbow is not inflammation and is a lump of indeterminate cause. :? Rheum did say she'd send me for an ultrasound scan and murmured something about a lymph node but she forgot and so did I! I think I'll see my GP to my mind at rest.

I've mentioned the good news and not-so-good news, would you like the humour? I tripped when standing up and flung my crutch right in her face and she caught it with her little finger. However, she did not look impressed, so I did what I always do when uncomfortable, I laughed. My mum ushered me out pretty quickly! :lol:

Thanks again for the support all. x

Comments

• purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Starburst, sorry I missed your original post . I am so glad that you have a positive outcome. The crutch in the face incident sounds very embarrassing though but I'm sure worst things have happened to her(and you)! :oops:

Take care,

Trish xx
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Oops- crutch malfunction :oops:
    Maybe it helped to demonstrate some of the challenges you face every day though :D:D
    Glad you had a largely positive appointment.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well done, I reckon you came through that appointment with flying colours (as well as a flying crutch :wink: ) I know from bitter experience that sometimes all things need are a tweaking of the meds but that in itself can take time, sometimes our bodies react quickly and at other times they don't. I hope this new meds regime soon starts to make a positive difference. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh bless..very well done Sophie ..see the pocket duties do help.. :D I bet you slept a little better last night with this weight off your shoulders...good luck with the ultrasound..I am sure your |GP will arrange it...and I do wish you well with everything ..and I am glad there is someone else that laughs when things go wrong... :lol: xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Glad you had a positive appt, even though there was the one bad news your not sure it was! And the crutch incident I think I may of had an embarrassment giggle, as I giggle when embarrassed. :oops:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Well done, Sophie! That seems, to me, like an excellent compromise and the early return visit will ensure the course can be changed if necessary.

I think that's a good plan to see the GP. I've had rheumatic nodules on my arms but raised lymph nodes should be checked out just to be on the safe side.

P.S. It's always better not to chuck stuff at the docs. Make sure you learn this lesson before you have any surgery :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Sophie the crutch moment must have been the very moment we all left your pocket to go and have a coffee in the canteen - knowing you were going to be okay? :lol:

Glad it all went fairly well. I guess if she had been really concerned about the elbow she wouldn't have forgotten to get you checked out but I agree with the others - go to see your GP if only to put your mind at rest.

For what it's worth I found that I could never get up as far as 17.5 on the Methotrexate, either by pill or injection, because I got sick and had a foul taste in my mouth constantly. I dropped to 15mg and the taste was still an issue and finally had six okay weeks on 12.5mg with no nausea or bad taste - but came off it four months ago for other reasons - so the dosage change made a big difference to me and I hope it makes a positive change for you too. Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Well done Sophie that all sounds like a good plan.

Hope the elbow-lump gets sorted soon though :?

The low-flying crutch incident made me laugh out loud :lol: sorry :oops: , but well caught Doc :wink:

love

Toni xxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I realised I didn't say thank you for the replies. I've had a rough week with lots of nausea and vomiting. I'm reducing to15mg of MTX this week (Friday) but I'm not hopeful because I've been on MTX for 3.5 years and it's never caused vomiting before. :? Oh well, must keep persevering!
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Poor you. I'm so hoping I don't have to take it again but I'm flaring once more so it's not looking good for me. I found that the side effects would hit quite suddenly after a reasonable period of none - and it wasn't all dose related although the lower dose did help with the foul taste I used to get. If you haven't already read it RA Warrior is very good on the subject of Methotrexate and side effects coming and going over the years.

http://rawarrior.com/methotrexate-side-effects/

I do hope you feel much better soon. Mat xx
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Oh dear Sophie, I really do hope that it settles down for you soon. :cry:

Deb x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hope the Nausea an vomiting has eased for you Starburst, how has the reduction in the MTX been? Has it made any difference for you?.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are feeling so rubbish Sophie, lets hope you feel a wee bit better soon..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles