MRI Scan - pocket duties please

Options
purpleowl
purpleowl Member Posts: 231
edited 20. Nov 2013, 10:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys,
I have an MRI scan tomorrow(if I am well enough) and although I realise that I have a diagnosis which isn't OA(diabetic neuralgia) for the nerve pain in my legs now I am hoping that you will still support me! :lol: Please don't kick me out!! :cry: I do have OA in my left shoulder and also my thumb but this isn't giving me any trouble at the moment, thankfully.

I've had a terrible time over the last 10 days or so trying to get off Gabapentin, it's really screwed me up. My GP says that I came off it too quickly(although I followed her instructions :roll: ) So now the dose has been increased again(I don't really understand this). So I am dizzy, groggy and feeling generally unwell. I have managed to shower and get dressed this morning but am now now paying the price ha ha! :roll:

I see yet another GP tomorrow as my regular is on holiday. :roll: I suppose she deserves a holiday though!

On the plus side I have lost a few pounds! :D

I've realised that my OH is no carer, he has been grumpy all week as he now has to do all the shopping and he's had to live on easy meals. One of my three children did come and help with the housework yesterday and the oldest is coming tomorrow.

I've looked at the diabetes forum but don't think it's for me as it doesn't seem half as friendly as this one.

Thanking you guys in advance for your kindness, I totally realise how poorly some of you are(I've certainly had my eyes opened) but you still manage to cheer others up! you are all truly wonderful people!

I am a bit out of it today so please excuse any mistakes!! :oops:

Take care,

Trish xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My husband is a sweetie but caring duties? They are not his strength. I remember when he took two weeks 'off' work to care for me after my double carpal tunnel syndrome. In reality he spent a great deal of time on his laptop talking to the office. He asked me, one afternoon at about 2.30, if I wanted a cup of tea. I said yes, he said let me send one email then I'll make it. He came back three hours later.

Count me in, MRIs are not that much fun, I know that from experience. I hope it goes OK. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Will be there for you for your MRI, Trish. I hope it goes well.

Be patient while training the spouse to be a carer; it may not come naturally to him, but he will adjust! If mine can learn, anyone can :lol:

The trick is persistence.....

Anna
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Count me in Trish. I don't have anywhere near the amount of OA as everyone else has but have had great support especially with my looming trapeziectomy :roll: I also have a rare neuropathic condition, my sympathies to you.

You have contributed well since you joined the forum and I am sure I can talk for the rest we would love to have you stay around, as for the OH I am sure you will whip him into shape, as I got rid of mine years ago I cant give you any advice :lol: good luck for tomorrow..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Trish I hope all has gone well with the MRI..and you get the answers you want..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • purpleowl
    Options
    Many thanks for all the support unfortunately I had to cancel as I was too unwell to attend. I was having the whole of my spine scanned and therefore would have been in the unit for an hour. Woke up feeling unable to face it as dizzy and light-headed so re-booked for a week Saturday. :cry:

Hopefully I will be off the drug by the next appointment.

Trish xx
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Hope you're feeling a little better today Trish x I'm pretty sure that since your diagnosis changed there isn't a rule that you have to resign your membership and never darken our doors again ;-) I think sometimes it's more an appreciation of medical ailments than the actual ailments themselves that keeps people coming back here. We all understand to a degree, and that's what matters. Hugs! x
    Toots x
  • purpleowl
    Options
    DD - how on earth did you manage with a double Carpol tunnel op? I had mine done 6 months ago and it was bad enough trying to cope with one! Your OH wasn't great either then? :roll:

Boomer - how do you even begin to train an unwilling carer? :lol: Although I must say that Mine has improved as the time's gone on.

Marie - I hope your trapeziectomy will go well for you. I am on my second hubby the first one was a useless drunk and soon got kicked to the kerb!! :lol:

Barbara - many thanks for your support.

Toots - thanks so much for the hugs, greatly appreciated :D

Trish xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Oh Poor you Trish :(

I do hope you are feeling well enough to have the MRI next week and NEVER fear we don't kick people out!!!

My husband may be lovely, but I think he is a naff carer too :roll: Luckily I am not in need of his caring skills too often

Take care now

Love

Toni xxx
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    My husband is a professional carer but he is absolutely not interested in caring for me (and I do hope I never have to rely on him in this capacity because it would really be the end of us I feel). If he even gets a whiff of being required for this purpose he rants about the old folks having this or that and makes me feel far more ancient than my fifty years! He has as much sympathy as a rock :roll:

I can't advise on the MRI but I will come with you in spirit (in your pocket) to chat in your ear supportively and also to find out what they are like for when if and when I ever have to have one. Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    How did I manage? Easily, with his help. We moved our bed to the dining room because we have a ground floor bathroom, he fed me (literally), washed and 'wiped' me (I bought a load of disposable gloves and wet toilet tissue), I didn't get dressed for a week (bliss, just a clean nightie every day!) and I watched a lot of telly. I was stranded because I couldn't use any of my walking aids so that caused a few troubles later on but I got over that. I didn't take the humira because I couldn't do the injection and a rheumatology nurse popped in to do two meth injections. (Always be pleasant to those who treat you, it's amazing what they will do to help you out. I didn't even aske her to do it, I just said I was concerned about how I was going to manage - she told me it was sorted.)

Men are not usually naturals when it comes to caring but, on the odd occasions when male nurses have dealt with me they have always been very good. I think it must be harder for husbands to be carers because they already have roles as friend, lover, spouse and maybe provider - that's enough hats for anyone methinks. Mine is no great shakes on the caring front but I would never, ever be without him. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben