The strange things.....

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 16. Nov 2013, 08:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
….we come to accept as normal.

I was musing on this as I sat on the bed doing my straight leg raises. To me, all was as usual but a passing stranger (not that there are many passing strangers in my bedroom :oops: - well, not these days :wink: ) would have been a little surprised by the two wheat bags laid carefully on top of one ankle and the old oven gloves wrapped, equally carefully, around the other.

The stranger would have been even more surprised had he/she peeped into the pockets of the oven gloves and discovered the entire set of weights from my scales in one and, in the other, a moderate-sized lump of lead plus a 0.5 kilo handweight. They are my means of upping the weights. I started with a tin of tomatoes and a tin of soup but then I got more sophisticated :lol:

What would bemuse a stranger in your everyday arthritic life?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh SW you do make me laugh :lol: ..wish I was has good with word..but here goes....my baked beans in socks..in the tin of course for weight training... :shock: they do the job...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You've set me thinking. I may be back. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Why nothing gets done in my house when I have nothing but time..... :wink:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Oh gosh Sticky anyone looking in my house at the moment would think I was a raving lunatic. I have been 'practising' for my looming surgery.

The hair drier has been lodged in every 'nook' and 'crannie' in the bedroom so I can have it constantly on getting in to some weird positions I can use my free hand to style my hair with the brush. As for finding ways to hook a bra I am still working on that one, don't even suggest not wearing one as I am a bit too well endowed in that department and going without is an absolute no-no :shock: I can now fasten my jeans with putting my pinkie into the eyelet pulling it over the button which doesn't interfere with my thumb, had a bit of a wibble and a wobble to start with but got there in the end :)

I have still a lot of practising to do all I can say is thank goodness I stay on my own :lol: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Options
    OK Marie, you definitely win the prize :lol: (It's one of Barbara's tins of baked beans :wink: ) I'd love to see you hair-drier 'ornament' and, as for the jeans, I stand in awe. I've long resorted to leaving the button undone and wearing my blouse over it.

I still recall when my elder son, then aged about 3, offered to mop up a spillage on the kitchen floor. He did what his Mum always did - dropped the cloth on the pool of water and shuffled it about with his feet. He had no idea you could actually use your hands :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I can't think of a thing, which has made me realise that perhaps things aren't as bad as I feel they are :oops: or I'm just too stubborn (which is more like it).

Marie? I too think you win this one! DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    So this morning I went to draw the curtains which are behind an arm chair and did what I always do because I can't kneel on the chair to reach them. I grabbed the spare walking stick and used its ferrule. I also use both parts of the stick to open the velux on the top floor because I can't climb onto the bed to reach. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    My husband is my strange thing I accept as normal :!: before humira when I was struggling to fasten buttons we brought a button hook one time I couldn't even hold it so he had to do it he profoundly said "do you know your buttons are on the wrong side " but I'm a girl I said all our buttons are on this side "well I never knew that "says he :idea: Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I once puzzled a room full of people when I asked if someone would carry the teapot in for me as I wasn't wearing a sweater.

To me it was obvious. When wearing a sweater I can balance the front end of the teapot on my forearm. Without a sweater I'd burn myself.
    Steven Wright