Role of physiotherapist

Options
firestar
firestar Member Posts: 44
edited 16. Nov 2013, 10:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw the physio today and they seem really reluctant to do anything other than reinforce I keep moving. When I asked about this today he said it is because they try to 'keep hands off' with inflammatory arthritis as it can make things worse but I was hoping he could do something more to ease the tense muscles especially in my back or mid-upper back stiffness.
I am not sure if I am expecting too much from them or if he is inexperienced with inflammatory arthritis and being cautious.

Just wondered what other people have experienced from their physio's and what has helped?
:-)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I spent much time with physios after my two open synovectomies but that was entirely to improve my muscle strength. I still do the exercises to this day because I now have osteo in a number of my PsA-affected joints.

What did help in my inflamed days was a sports massage. Sports massage is entirely different to the beauty-therapy type and yes, once can be sore after for a while but I did gain some short-term benefit from them. I don't have them now, however, because I have developed fibromyalgia and I cannot bear to be touched when that is unhappy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello firestar..dont think we have met so welcome :)
    I am having physio after my hip replacement and she has told me that they have to bee very careful because of all the claims that are going on...its awful but thats the way it is...she has given me exercises to do but ..there are know hands on has it were...have you asked for back exercises..they should be able to give you a sheet with them on and talk you through them.
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I know physios are a bit scared of the necks of us auto-immuners and it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that, in our present UK culture of suing all who come near us, physios are now scared of touching us.

I know a physio who has a private practice and she tells me that private practice is more hands on as the patients expect it and are more reluctant to pay if it isn't.

Way back I was sometimes given infra red but it's only really to warm up the muscles so that the exercises are easier. I think it mostly boils down to the exercises in the end.

Has he given you some exercises to do? These ought to strengthen your muscles and ease some tension. If he hasn't, why not try those in Arthritis Care's booklet on Exercise? Pg 18 has exercises for the back. Start very gently and build up gradually.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • firestar
    firestar Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks everyone and nice to meet you all.
    I am new to the forums and so glad you are out there as I keep finding I have so many questions.

I have some exercises to help strengthen the back, mostly stretching, and going swimming to see if it helps. Maybe it is still early days and they might take a while to kick in.
    I think I was hoping he had a magic wand that would stop the pain and get me doing cart wheels!
    He did say the main focus is getting my medication right but I get the impression that will take a while too.
    I like the idea of warming up the muscles before doing the exercises and will definitely give that a go.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    firestar wrote:
    Just wondered what other people have experienced from their physio's and what has helped?

Hi Firestar

Welcome to the forum. Were you referred to see a physio?

In reply to your last sentence of your thread, I found a great physiotherapist and her interest is shoulders and elbows. She has a shoulder problem herself, since birth, hence her great interest. She has achieved the highest qualifications obtainable in the physiotherapy field. She has given me steroid injections, ultrasound, manipulation and exercises to do for my shoulder. I have seen her four times in about as many months. She has told me she cannot "cure" me and this I know, as I need an op in the future but she says to try to hold off for as long as possible and I agree. I see her privately so that may well be the difference! I have not had such good treatment from a NHS physio unfortunately. I met her by chance, she happened to be sitting in with the shoulder surgeon at my appointment and she made the suggestion that she may be able to help me.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    The last physio I had was after my first THR {almost 4 years ago} No hands on.....just instructions as to how to do them and then a list of exercises to take home and do myself

Love
    Hileena