just want to say hello

Options
bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 17. Nov 2013, 13:16 in Say Hello Archive
I am 53, a grandma and mum to 3 grown up children. I have suffered with fibromyalgia for the past 10 years. I was also told I had osteoarthritis in my left knee about a year ago. I have really bad back pain for many years, but although I asked my gp for x-rays several times her response was always "we can't do anything about back pain so there is no point in doing any tests"!!!! Any pain is always put down to fibromyalgia, so when I started to get severe hip pain and then horrible pain in my buttocks I just put up with it and used hot water bottles and dihydrocodeine. I also went to see an osteopath which seemed to make things worse. Finally on tuesday I went back to my gp as I can't stand this pain anymore, she gave me a thourough examination and sent me for lower back and hip x-rays. The pain in my buttocks feels like I am sitting just on bones....does this sound familiar to anyone? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for listening to my boring list of woes, Deb

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. I have been out all day and need to catch up with matters so I will do a proper reply later, but sitting on bones? Oh yes, in my case it's my sacro-iliac bones that are the culprits. Sitting, standing and lying are all equally uncomfy. :( I will be back later, I promise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Debs and a warm welcome from me
    It very quiet in here ..so I would put a post post in living with arthritis..you should get more reply's
    The sitting on bones rings a bell with me..I have OA and just had my first hip replacement..but I am still getting pain in my tailbone or wherever its coming from..if the Xrays dont show anything up ask to be referd for an MRI scan this will show up more detail..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello Deb. It's nice to meet you though I'm sorry about the fibro and OA. I'm also sorry about your GP who sounds at best misinformed and at worst unhelpful.

There are things that can be done about back pain. The x-rays, as you thought, will give some clues as to what's going on where. She could also refer you to a physiotherapist for exercises to strengthen the muscles in the back, hips and knees as strong muscles support the joints better and this means less pain. She could also refer you to a Pain Clinic which would give you tips on how to deal with the pain. Most of us find that pacing ourselves, not doing too much work at a time but also not sitting for too long does help as does anything that distracts us from the pain. Steroid injections can help too albeit temporarily.

I've had both my hips replaced. The pain is felt in either or both two main areas – the upper central part of the affected buttock and/or the groin. Yours may well be a bit more complicated if your back is also involved but we have others on here in similar situations.

Please join in anywhere you like. Living With Arthritis is where we talk about arthritis matters and Chit Chat is where we talk about other stuff and have a laugh. I hope to see you around :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    He Deb

I think we have already 'met' on LWA forum, but a big welcome from me too :D

I feel safe to promise you will get loads of support from the people on here

Love

Toni xxx