TKR

Options
Foxmyster
Foxmyster Member Posts: 19
edited 18. Nov 2013, 13:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just started using this site, I've had knee problems since I was 13 years old I tore my right cartlidge I've had 3 keyhole operations over the years and most of my cartlidge removed. My knee got worse over the years very painful I've had arthritis for a few years now and it can be crippling so back to the doctors and then of to hospital had all sorts of X-rays now waiting for MRI scan but my consultant thinks TKR is the way forward!!!. Going back to see him next Monday, I've been told I could be out of work for 2/3 months, I'm a self employed carpenter are my days of cutting wood up ? Any TKR builders out there ? Many thanks for reading. Foxy.

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Foxy

I would say your days of certain aspects of carpentry are up. Once you get your new knee they don't advise you kneel on it and even standing on it for long periods can be sore. Of course it all depends on how fit you are and Im assuming quite fit given your occupation. I'd also say the 2-3 months out of work is your surgeon being conservative with that, but yet again everyone is different. I wasn't anywhere near ready to drive, walk any distance etc at 3 months..
    It sounds as if your surgeon is supportive. I don;t know what age you are, Im again presuming similar to myself, I'm now 45 had TKR last year..

Good luck

Elainexx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Foxy and a warm welcome from me..
    Sorry you have struggled so long with your knee..it must be so hard when you are working... I cant offer any advice but I see Elaine has :D hopefully you can get something done very soon...wishing you well with it all x
    Love
    Barbara
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Hi Foxy ,At the beginning say first 6 weeks are a bit rough but keeping mobile physio etc you should be up and running a bit sooner than 3 mths if you are pretty fit to begin with ,AND in my case its the best thing I have ever done still have R/A and pain but my new knee is pain free flexible .. a little bit numb at the sides and a fading scar but no problems keep strong with your arms back etc ..GOOD LUCK . :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Even before my TKRs I was rubbish at cutting wood up :wink: so no advice from me on that score except to say that, if I were to have a go at it, I don't think it would be my TKRs that would be a problem. Your consultant will be the best person to ask about what will be possible and when.

What you will need to do, though, is, as Marrianne has said, get the leg muscles fit and keep them so. And, above all, don't try to cut corners with the recovery process. In the early weeks you need to be just concentrating on getting well and fit again, not pushing yourself too hard (It won't help) or assuming that walking alone will sort out the fitness regime.

I seem to remember I was driving again after six weeks and doing most things after two months but I have RA throughout my body so 'most things' didn't amount to a great deal.

I hope you get a new lease of life with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Foxmyster
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys, I'm 47 going on 16 as my wife keeps telling. I was lazy after my keyhole surgery and didn't excersie I have a lot of muscular waste in my right knee and I've tried to regain it with out any luck. So if I do go ahead with the TKR it will be a struggle but I'll crack on. Back to hospital next Monday so I'll find out what's what thanks again. Foxy.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Foxy,

I'm on my 5th knee ................though I was born with 2 of them!!! I had both my knees replaced together when I was 41 and it certainly worked out for me. (I have since had 1 prosthesis replaced as I'd worn it out. :shock: )

I can't kneel but I do know some people who've had TKRs and can with some padding under the knee ...........the sensation is very strange as you're kneeling on your scar. (I think you start by kneeling on the bed.)

Check with your GP/Surgeon first but you could try using your knee at the swimming baths to help build up the muscle before your op. (Exercising and even just walking in the water.) I was given hydrotherapy and a series of exercises both in and out of the water.

You probably won't get the same bend as you do on a healthy knee but the harder you work at your exercises, the more you'll get. I do have 120 degree bend on my knees which is good but you have to do the exercises before and after in order to get the joint as flexible as possible. Be warned it does hurt but it is worth it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Luv.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Foxy

I think everyone's muscles unless they are a fitness freak are not the best, I mean I underwnet a gym regime and weight loss before my operation was at gym 3 times a week, hydro twice a week and I still had a 68 degree bend upon discharge. I'd say try to work on that a bit if you can, but if your'e working it might be dificult?
    Linda has offered some good advice, re kneeling I can kneel but only for about a minute or so, I don't put all my weight on it fully but its achievable although the consultants and physio's tell me its a no-no.....It is a bigger operation than I expected even though got told all about it with pre op and occupational therapy sesssions, I sincerly hope you glide through it and its a positive experience.
    Good luck for monday..

Elainexx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Foxmyster

Welcome to the forum. Sorry not into carpentry but I would not say that you will not be able to continue with your carpentry work post op, that is if you work really hard on the physio and do as you are told. You have seen what can happen when one does not persevere with the exercises and hopefully you have learned a lesson there. ;):) It is a slow but steady recovery if you work hard on improving the mobility of the new knee. It is not always easy by any means but well worth it in the end.

I was told I would not be able to kneel but I can comfortably and when I mentioned this to the surgeon he was pleased for me.

Keep us posted on developments.

Look after yourself

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Foxmyster
    Options
    Just got in from work and my knee is on fire got an ice pack on it!!!
    Going for my MRI at 5 tomorrow night at the chelsea and Westminster hospital then off to see the surgeon Monday I'll no what's what then. :oops:
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I hope the ice pack is working for you. All the best with your MRI, Foxy. I have an MRI and xrays tomorrow too. Snap. :lol: For my spine, not my knees as they have been "done". I hope your appointment with the surgeon goes as you would like it to go, on Monday. Do keep us posted.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.