lower back, back of thighs/buttock pain

Options
bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 3. Jan 2014, 06:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I'm a newby and would be grateful for any advice. I saw my gp today for the results of my x-rays. Apparently they show arthritis in my lower spine and right hip.I also have had fibromyalgia for the last 12 years. Usually when I see my gp about pain she automatically puts it down to fibro, so I was shocked and surprised when I saw her about the horrible pain in my buttocks/back of thighs and she she sent me for x-rays. She has suggested physio, but I would be grateful for any advice especially from anyone who has pain in the same place as mine! I feel like I'm sitting on bone and my hip pain is making driving really difficult. Many thanks in advance, Deb

Comments

• shandy4greenday
    shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thankyou for your inbox message I have PM'd you :)
  • destiny0321
    destiny0321 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Try sitting on a gel cushion i find that helps the buttock & hips when sat down i have 2 gel leather ones 1 for wheelchair,1 for car & a fleecy gel one that i use when i am sat in my chair or my bed & it sure does help stop the bottom hurting when i am knitting i use my cushions all the time destiny
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello again, Deb. I answered you on the 'say hello' forum so I won't bother repeating myself. However, I'm pleased to learn you've been referred for physio. That should help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum.
    I've got arthritis in my hips and lower spine as well.
    The OT gave me a cushion to use when driving and I find that a big help.
    Also to be used inside but I've never used it inside.....just in the car.
    I would go for the physio she suggests
    pm me if you want to
    Good luvck
    Hileena
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. Someone has suggested ankylosing spondylitis so I am reading up on this as well. Deb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Deb.

I am assuming that the Xrays didn't show a need for surgery so you have to try other things?

Physio is really important. Using cushions will help too - never sit on hard surfaces if you can avoid it

I hope you have decent pain relief? and anti-inflams too??

Have you tried heat? a wheat-bag or hot water bottle? That can help a little. Some try tens machines as well.

There is a blood test I think for AS you could ask the GP for?

Love

Toni xxx
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Hi Debs - I have RA but also have similar pain and stiffness in my up of thighs and buttocks as you describe. I've not had a scan but my physio says this is degeneration in my lumbar region and is Osteoarthritis (she could feel the dip in my spine). She gave me exercises to do to strengthen my stomach muscles which she said was the most important thing to keep up. I do these everyday plus daily yoga exercises which strengthen my back and my hips. These have helped enormously and I have no issues with this particular problem at present.

My rheumatologist confirmed that keeping my weight down as much as possible and staying active were both key to staying on top of arthritis in this area - whether due to OA,AS or other type. If you can see a physio that would be really helpful for you too. Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    I am having this problem every single day like Debs and have had this problem for some months now.I can not no longer sit comfortably any longer than half hour. I get constant pain from sitting and at the back of my legs.I feel very stiff when I first raise from the chair until I get moving.I get pain in my lower back after I have been standing for long periods I feel I am at a no win situation.I have just recently moved house and just registered with a new GP Surgery that seem very good and I am thinking if maybe I could be tested for AS if that comes back clear maybe my GP could recommend some Physio as I do try to keep active quite regular and still it doesn't improve. I do still have children needing to be taken and collected to school as well as running the house,I walk lots too but it effects my every day life now and the only thing that eases it is lying down but that I don't have time for.
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    I was at a rheumatology appointment yesterday and had some X-rays done on my back and legs it seems they think I may now have sciatica in my back and this is what could be causing my pain.I have now had this pain for months so it's just waiting for my results to see if this is what is causing it or not.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I do hope you get a result soon.....the sooner you know what you are dealing with the easier it is to cope {Or that's what I find anyway}
    Keep us updated please
    Love
    Hileena